Start by marking “Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner” as Want to Read:
Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner

Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner (Ruse #2)

In times of trouble, the city of Partington looks to its favorite son--the greatest detective ever known. But just who are Simon Archard and his lovely partner, Emma Bishop? This is the burning question behind each fantastic case solved by these stylish sleuths. In a world where a veneer of Victorian finery hides mammoth mysteries, Simon and Emma maybe the biggest mystery ...more
Published February 28th 2003 by Cross Generation Comics (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ruse, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruse, Vol. 2

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Ruse is a graphic novel series that is perfect for readers who love the Victorian-set adventure vibe. There is a paranormal element that felt very light in this volume, but it's there for readers who like a bit of the weird (admittedly myself). For readers who can't get enough of the sometimes obnoxious Sherlock Holmesian character, Simon is going to appeal. At the same time, with this edition, we see more vulnerability and the less confident person beneath the know-it-all exterior. Emma's loyal ...more
Mar 05, 2012 Kurt rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
While this volume of Ruse comics is not quite as good as the one that preceded it, I still love it. Yes, Guice's art is a bit muddier here, but it still retains most of its elegance and wonder. Yes, the story is a bit less interesting when it has more of a focus on Simon Archard, the detective, but we still get almost enough time following the more interesting and relatable Emma Bishop. Even a less perfect version of Ruse, it seems, is significantly better than many comics published today, and i ...more
An entertaining sequel exploring the Holmes-like detectives ex-partner turned crazy killer. I think I liked this more than the first one. But since I really don't remember much about the first one I probably need to go back and reread it to make sure (or maybe I'll just call it good and move on to something else).
I wasn't as impressed this time around. I was hoping to find out more about Emma (like exactly what is she?), but the entire plot revolved around Simon's ex-partner. It was interesting, but not that interesting.
Oct 13, 2016 Lynda rated it really liked it
As I wrote a few days ago, I am culling my books. I am reading all of my comics and graphic novels first.
Mar 22, 2011 Thomas rated it it was ok
So, a few weeks ago, a coworker and I were talking about graphic novels, and during the discussion, she mentioned how much she loved Ruse. She told me a little about the premise, and while it didn’t really rock my socks off, she loaned me the first two trade paperbacks to give them a read, and I figured: Why not?

Well, on the bright side, I didn’t spend a whole lot of time reading the collections. And truth be told, the stories aren’t bad, as much as they’re just not anything I’m really intereste
Mar 05, 2011 Joanna rated it really liked it
Oh thank god Marvel bought Crossgen so I can continue to read Ruse. This volume is more entertaining than the first, probably because the super hero adventure bits aren't bogged down by world and character introductions. And anything that has a riff on the illustrations of J.C. Leyendecker is super sweet.
Oct 31, 2007 Petabyte rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Victoriana aficionados
Shelves: kmks
Very good art, decent storytelling - but (at least the copy I have has) utterly rubbish binding! Newish book and the spine can't handle the first few page turns. This isn't as random as one might think, after all, what's the point of reading a book if one can't turn the page... but if you can get a good copy, enjoy Ruse to the fullest.
Aug 10, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Recommended to Andrea by: Kimberlee
The last half of this, about Archard and Lightbourne, was the strongest part of this book, I thought. The first story seemed pretty standard and not really explained very well (like in Heroes, where somehow changes in your DNA make you fly or talk to machines). The best part, as usual, is the Archard/Bishop dialogue and the fantasy Victorian setting.
Feb 10, 2013 Pturingan rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Not bad at all. Pretty entertaining. This was an impulse buy at a recent sale at the local comic store and I'm pretty glad I decided to pick it up. The art by Guice was also a highlight for me.

One problem though- the binding was horrible! It fell apart almost immediately after I unwrapped the comic. Is this why Crossgen Comics went out of business?
Stephanie O'neil
Jun 17, 2012 Stephanie O'neil rated it it was amazing
I liked volume two: the silent partner much better than volume one: enter the detective. Simon and Emma were easier to relate to and I enjoyed the villain, backstory, and mysteries much more. I don't think there is a volume three, which is disappointing.
Dec 07, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
Artwork is beautiful, story is intriguing (if slightly improbable), and dialogue is as funny and sharp as ever!
Aug 27, 2007 Trevor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix
The Ruse series is one of several reasons I was sad to see Crossgen go out of business. Absolutely brilliant, beautiful comic book genius.
Apr 22, 2016 Max added it
A bit of an accelerated conclusion to the series, but gem-filled nonetheless, with Emma & Archard's charismatic back-and-forth, mysteries aplenty, and a neat ending.
Stuart Kehrig
Sep 02, 2010 Stuart Kehrig rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I found the tpb in a bargain bin for the paltry sum of $2. Fantastic value for that price. Will try to go and find the first and next volumes.
Shipofools999 rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Dianna rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2011
Leslie rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Rafael Patacas
Rafael Patacas rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Mike Wobser
Mike Wobser rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Sean rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2012
Nicola rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
G.D. rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2012
Lena rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Clara rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2009
Rosa rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2009
Grace rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2008
Asher Turnaround
Asher Turnaround rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Todd rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Sojourn, Volume 1: From the Ashes
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine (Girl Genius, #3)
  • Meridian, Vol. 1: Flying Solo
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Voice from the Crypt and Other Tales
  • Jack the Ripper: A Journal of the Whitechapel Murders 1888-1889
  • Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies
  • Spike: Shadow Puppets
  • By the Blood of Heroes (The Great Undead War, #1)
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • The Cream of Tank Girl
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Sherlock Holmes and Young Winston: The Jubilee Plot
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Fake, Volume 04
  • The Storm Witch (Dhulyn and Parno, #3)
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.
More about Mark Waid...