Start by marking “Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner” as Want to Read:
Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner

Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner (Ruse #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In times of trouble, the city of Partington looks to its favorite son--the greatest detective ever known. But just who are Simon Archard and his lovely partner, Emma Bishop? This is the burning question behind each fantastic case solved by these stylish sleuths. In a world where a veneer of Victorian finery hides mammoth mysteries, Simon and Emma maybe the biggest mystery ...more
Published February 28th 2003 by Cross Generation Comics (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ruse, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruse, Vol. 2

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Ruse is a graphic novel series that is perfect for readers who love the Victorian-set adventure vibe. There is a paranormal element that felt very light in this volume, but it's there for readers who like a bit of the weird (admittedly myself). For readers who can't get enough of the sometimes obnoxious Sherlock Holmesian character, Simon is going to appeal. At the same time, with this edition, we see more vulnerability and the less confident person beneath the know-it-all exterior. Emma's loyal ...more
Mar 05, 2012 Kurt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
While this volume of Ruse comics is not quite as good as the one that preceded it, I still love it. Yes, Guice's art is a bit muddier here, but it still retains most of its elegance and wonder. Yes, the story is a bit less interesting when it has more of a focus on Simon Archard, the detective, but we still get almost enough time following the more interesting and relatable Emma Bishop. Even a less perfect version of Ruse, it seems, is significantly better than many comics published today, and i ...more
An entertaining sequel exploring the Holmes-like detectives ex-partner turned crazy killer. I think I liked this more than the first one. But since I really don't remember much about the first one I probably need to go back and reread it to make sure (or maybe I'll just call it good and move on to something else).
I wasn't as impressed this time around. I was hoping to find out more about Emma (like exactly what is she?), but the entire plot revolved around Simon's ex-partner. It was interesting, but not that interesting.
The Ruse series is one of several reasons I was sad to see Crossgen go out of business. Absolutely brilliant, beautiful comic book genius.
So, a few weeks ago, a coworker and I were talking about graphic novels, and during the discussion, she mentioned how much she loved Ruse. She told me a little about the premise, and while it didn’t really rock my socks off, she loaned me the first two trade paperbacks to give them a read, and I figured: Why not?

Well, on the bright side, I didn’t spend a whole lot of time reading the collections. And truth be told, the stories aren’t bad, as much as they’re just not anything I’m really intereste
Not bad at all. Pretty entertaining. This was an impulse buy at a recent sale at the local comic store and I'm pretty glad I decided to pick it up. The art by Guice was also a highlight for me.

One problem though- the binding was horrible! It fell apart almost immediately after I unwrapped the comic. Is this why Crossgen Comics went out of business?
Aug 10, 2009 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Andrea by: Kimberlee
The last half of this, about Archard and Lightbourne, was the strongest part of this book, I thought. The first story seemed pretty standard and not really explained very well (like in Heroes, where somehow changes in your DNA make you fly or talk to machines). The best part, as usual, is the Archard/Bishop dialogue and the fantasy Victorian setting.
Oct 31, 2007 Petabyte rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Victoriana aficionados
Shelves: kmks
Very good art, decent storytelling - but (at least the copy I have has) utterly rubbish binding! Newish book and the spine can't handle the first few page turns. This isn't as random as one might think, after all, what's the point of reading a book if one can't turn the page... but if you can get a good copy, enjoy Ruse to the fullest.
Oh thank god Marvel bought Crossgen so I can continue to read Ruse. This volume is more entertaining than the first, probably because the super hero adventure bits aren't bogged down by world and character introductions. And anything that has a riff on the illustrations of J.C. Leyendecker is super sweet.
Stephanie O'neil
I liked volume two: the silent partner much better than volume one: enter the detective. Simon and Emma were easier to relate to and I enjoyed the villain, backstory, and mysteries much more. I don't think there is a volume three, which is disappointing.
Stuart Kehrig
I found the tpb in a bargain bin for the paltry sum of $2. Fantastic value for that price. Will try to go and find the first and next volumes.
Artwork is beautiful, story is intriguing (if slightly improbable), and dialogue is as funny and sharp as ever!
A Victorian mystery with a dash of the supernatural.
Thrilling, romantic, and a lot of fun!
this is a really good series
Kathryn Cook
Kathryn Cook marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Jesse A
Jesse A marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
M. Toledo
M. Toledo marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Fred Hughes
Fred Hughes marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Brent marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Nowns marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Nicole Stanczak
Nicole Stanczak marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Jason added it
Jun 05, 2015
  • Sojourn, Volume 1: From the Ashes
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 4: Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams
  • Meridian, Vol. 1: Flying Solo
  • Jack the Ripper: A Journal of the Whitechapel Murders 1888-1889
  • Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • By the Blood of Heroes (The Great Undead War, #1)
  • Spike: Shadow Puppets
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Resurrectionist (Matthew Hawkwood, #2)
  • Fake, Volume 07
  • Wren's Fantasy
  • Wondermark, Vol. 2: Clever Tricks to Stave Off Death
  • Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.
More about Mark Waid...

Ruse (4 books)
  • Ruse, Vol. 1: Enter the Detective
  • Ruse Vol. 3: Criminal Intent
  • Ruse: The Victorian Guide to Murder
Kingdom Come Superman: Birthright JLA, Vol. 7: Tower of Babel Daredevil, Volume 1 Irredeemable, Vol. 1