Disappearing Destinations: 37 Places in Peril and What Can Be Done to Help Save Them

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A beautiful and memorable look at some of the most gorgeous endangered places on the planet.

Machu Picchu is a mesmerizing, ancient Incan city tucked away in the mountains of Peru, but it is rapidly being worn down by the thousands of feet treading across its stones. Glacier National Park is a destination long known for the stunning beauty of its ice floes, but in our lifet...more
Published April 8th 2008 by Vintage

Kjersti Egerdahl
These chapters on different at-risk locations contain more rhapsody than actual travel information. If the authors had included websites and organizations at the end of each chapter, rather than in an index, that would have helped push the travel angle more. Still, I'm far more inspired to see Macchu Picchu before it gets trampled or the wait-listing starts - Casco Bay, Maine, before it gets fished out of existence - and my own neighbor, Mt. Rainier, before violent storms and volcanic explosions...more
D.J. Murphy
I received "Disappearing Destinations" as a door prize at the Colorado Authors' League's awards dinner. The edition I have shows Kimberly Lisagor and Heather Hansen as co-authors. This book received the CAL award for creative nonfiction. It is a fascinating account of how some of the most wonderful places on earth, for example Machu Picchu, are at risk of disappearing due to excessive tourism, climate change or economic forces.
Jacque
Good choice for learning which places in the world are "must sees" before they disappear...alarming to learn some of my best-loved places are in endangered; we take for granted they'll always be around. Haven't rated as yet because it is sitting on my table in California and I'm in Canada so haven't finished as yet for rating. I recommend it as an important book to read.
Cheryl
The authors take the reader on tours of some of the world's most beautiful and scenic places. Learn about the history, people, animals and geologic features of the locations. And then learn about the environmental threats posed to the areas, and the imminent, irretrievable changes that are taking place. This is a book you won't soon forget.
Carol
Disappearing Destinations is more of an informational book than a coffee table book. It has a few black and white photos and maps scattered throughout but the history and science are the main thrust of the book. Good lord, I have so many places I need to see before they disappear (or I die). Thank heavens for books!
Mikael
I wish it would have been more detailed. It had stories about the areas by someone from the area but I wish it would have been detailed and specific on what you can do in these places.
Kara Reville
A must read for anyone who loves history and travel. Fantastic book
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 333.72 L769D

Available.
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Emma Ward
Emma Ward marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Monica Hastoo
Monica Hastoo marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Мария
Мария is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2013
Leeski Wunderbar
Leeski Wunderbar marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
Aja
Aja added it
Jan 22, 2013
Tray
Tray marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Kara Sjoblom-Bay
Kara Sjoblom-Bay marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2012
Sasha
Sasha added it
Jul 20, 2012
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Disappearing Destinations Outside's Wilderness Lodge Vacations: More Than 100 Prime Destinations in North America Plus Central America and the Caribbean (Outside Books)