Start by marking “God's Bestseller: William Tyndale, Thomas More, and the Writing of the English Bible---A Story of Martyrdom and Betrayal” as Want to Read:

The English Bible---the mot familiar book in our language---is the product of a man who was exiled, vilified, betrayed, then strangled, then burnt.

William Tyndale left England in 1524 to translate the word of God into English. This was heresy, punishable by death. Sir Thomas More, hailed as a saint and a man for all seasons, considered it his divine duty to pursue Tyndale.
Published August 23rd 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published May 16th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about God's Bestseller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Bestseller

Michele
Sep 20, 2016 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
I really like to read scriptures and they are important to me. This book helped me appreciate good ol' William Tyndale ever so much more. I knew he did a lot for me but you get an in depth look at what a sweet, tender-hearted, pro woman, unselfish, man he was.
It wasn't always easy reading and it took time to get through to be sure, but I am very glad I pushed through and finished. It was worth it.
I'll probably never feel the same about the Bible again and will continue to have a deep respect f
Daniel
Apr 05, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. So happy that I saw this on the shelves as I was hunting for something else to read. Reveals the lively drama that played out in the early 1500’s as so-called Christians took to burning people who questioned authority. The very drama of such a practice ensured (burnings were very dramatic and ritualistic) that the martyrs would be remembered long after their grisly demise.

I was surprised and intrigued to learn more of the character of Tyndale and his chief adversary, the man for
Caroline Greeven
Mar 08, 2014 Caroline Greeven rated it it was amazing
I am not religious and have no interest in the Catholic Church, the bible or religious dogma in general and yet this is still one of the most profoundly moving books I have ever read. I think about the ideas, the personalities and the questions this book raises on a regular basis. It is a truly gripping description of the power of the written word and the bravery of people who sought to share those words (knowing they risked their lives to do so)..

What I really love about this book are the passa
Kirshaq
Jun 19, 2011 Kirshaq rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I will never read the Bible again and not think of William Tyndale and his belief in making the Bible available to everyone. He gave his life for the Bible. Highly reccomended to anyone who reads the Bible.
Andrew Krupnicki
Aug 02, 2015 Andrew Krupnicki rated it it was amazing
I myself am not religious, and I chose to read this book from a translator's perspective. It turned out to be much more of a page-turner than I had anticipated; Tyndale, his friends and enemies alike, were given new life and purpose through Moynahan's descriptive telling of their beliefs and struggles. I have come to admire Tyndale and his "fugitive" work (although our worldviews are quite different). An excellent read for anyone interested in the development of the English language, the Reforma ...more
Trelesa
Jul 02, 2012 Trelesa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the history of William Tyndale's struggle to translate and publish the Bible into english. It really is appalling how viciously he and other supporters were opposed. I would imagine it might be a little hard to read if you are Catholic, as this history shows that the Catholic church actively pursued with violent efforts the suppression of the english translation, for reasons that appear to be quite self-serving.

I can see honest, pure intent in both Tyndale and More. However, kn
Anna
Apr 29, 2010 Anna rated it liked it
2.5 stars. Several people recommended "Fire in the Bones" by Wilcox as a biography of William Tyndale, but it was not available at our library so I got this instead. It is a history book, but to me it is fascinating to discover all the political intrigue that went on to try and stop the printing of the Bible into English.

**I am not quite done with it, and I would add a few more comments about the book. The author really tries to make sure he quotes from original sources, but at times it is hard
Laura Mathieson
Nov 04, 2007 Laura Mathieson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bibliophiles
It's a scholarly book, a biography of the first person to translate the Bible into English. This was considered heresy at the time, especially by Thomas More, who hated Tyndale and brought great passion to bear in order to catch and burn him. There's a lot of intrigue in the book, meticulously researched, but the author keeps us straight through all the switching allegiances. Also fascinating are the explanations of how the individual words were used to create a crisis in the Church - how using ...more
Robert
Dec 13, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
This is a good readable biography. Tyndale was an amazing man and it is unfortunate that he is yet another victim of the Catholic Church. The Tyndale Bible, basis of the King James version, is a truly beautiful book, translated from Greek instead of Latin.
The beginnings of the English Reformation are wellknown and still interesting. No revelations there. Henry VIII remains as piggish as ever, despite all the glam of The Tudor TV series.
I am truly surprised by the behavior of Thomas More, the E
Mar 12, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, history
Loved this book. Moynahan really brings the historical events to life. I knew that William Tyndale was burned for translating the bible into English, but that means more to me now after having read about the political and religious tensions in Europe at the beginning of the reformation. One comes to really admire and love Tyndale for his brilliance as a translator, his humility as a Christian, his dedication to his life's work, and his sacrifice. He's now on my short list of people I'd like to m ...more
Karla Goforth Abreu
Apr 13, 2010 Karla Goforth Abreu rated it liked it
I would have given this more stars, but at times, the book becomes laborious in reading. It is quite long--but very well researched. The reader, if not a well studied Christian historian, will be astounded at the life threatening situations that were encountered by those who attempted to translate scripture into the English language. The author has attempted a grand task in this account and done well. I just have not had time to finish the book, though glad to have it on my shelf (about halfway ...more
Leila Bowers
Nov 07, 2009 Leila Bowers rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's more accessible than the Yale biography (which is amazing for its detail and scholarly, exhaustive approach). Moynahan makes a compelling case for who hunted Tyndale at the end. He also balances a disucssion of Henry VIII's court, those lesser known men and women who fought for God's Word, and Tyndale's own life and translation. Everyone should read this book.
Aubrey
Apr 11, 2012 Aubrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: incomplete
I really enjoyed this book and all of the information it had to offer, I never knew any of the stuff about the Catholic church or William Tyndale. I didn't quite finish it because it was a little more involved than I had time for right now, but it will be a book I would pick up again. If you want to know about how the King James Version of the Bible came to existence, read this book.
David
Nov 07, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Those who only know Thomas More through Bolt's movie A man For All Seasons wil be enlightened to find what a completely intolerant and bloodthirsty bastard he was. Tyndale by contrast was a saint, and this book is the most exciting I've read on his struggle to bring the Bible in English to a beleagured people, my fellow countrymen.
Marcie
Feb 03, 2011 Marcie rated it really liked it
Very interesting account of how we got our English Bible. Covers Tyndale in depth as well as the people surrounding his persecution. Loved the well researched examples of church corruption and retorts that went back and forth. Very eye opening and makes one treasure the access we have to the bible today.
Shaun
Mar 09, 2011 Shaun rated it really liked it
This is the story of William Tyndale, who was the primary translator of the Bible into English. I was amazed by how people could be put to death because they didn't believe or questioned the doctrines of the Church in the 1500s. An interesting tale of how the Bible came to be in modern times.
Amyjo
Feb 17, 2015 Amyjo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

An amazing and largely untold story. Tyndale was an incredible genius and he is writing about and dealing with issues that are still relevant to the church almost 500 years later. As much as things change, they stay the same.
Donna
Apr 02, 2015 Donna rated it liked it
Truthfully I didn't get all the way through this book--got distracted by many other topics. But--the portions I read were a good read. I'd go back when I had more time to spend and reread it all the way to the end.
Rivka
Aug 26, 2015 Rivka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this book. It was captivating and I love walking away from a book feeling more well informed and that reading it was a good use of time. This book gave me both.
Phil
May 06, 2008 Phil rated it it was ok
Couldn't quite finish this one. It was pretty interesting at times, and it's a great subject matter, but it got boring for some reason.
Jessica
May 12, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book has caused me to appreciate my English Bible more than all my study previous. I recommend this book highly.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Kristine
Kristine rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Chelsea Lewis
Chelsea Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Brian Moynahan is an English journalist and historical writer.
More about Brian Moynahan...