Start by marking “Michelangelo” as Want to Read:
Michelangelo

Michelangelo

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  25 reviews
When he was born, Michelangelo Buonarroti was put into the care of a stonecutter's family. He often said it was from them that he got his love of sculpture. It certainly didn't come from his own father, a respectable magistrate who beat his son when he asked to become an artists apprentice.

But Michelangelo persevered. His early sculptures caught the attention of Florence's
Published May 13th 2003 by HarperCollins (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Michelangelo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Michelangelo

David
I don't usually add the shorter children's books I read to Goodreads but this book deserves acknowledgement. The story is captivating, the art is great, and the overall combo makes this an excellent read for children and adults. Michelangelo's comment at the end of his life that he was just learning the alphabet of his craft has really helped me think about the prospects for growth and learning in the eternal resurrection.
Nevada Libert
what a great book! i think michelangelo was an amazing person, and what he did is soooooo amazing, he painted the sistine chaple, and made many wonderful sculptes. i love how he was so patient with the popes.

favorite quotes
"i already have a wife he once said,"who is too much for me; one who keeps me unceasingly struggling on.it is my art,and my works are my children.

Kaycie
Michelangelo by Diane Stanley is a book all about the fascinating life of Michelangelo. Michelangelo was a prominent artist booming from the Renaissance period for his skill in architecture, painting, and sculpting. Stanley did a wonderful job accurately depicting Michelangelo’s life, from the start when his talent started, to the legacy Michelangelo has today. Michelangelo grew up in a stonecutter’s family, and from there impressed everyone who came into contact with his art. Lorenzo de’ Medici ...more
Makayla Coffey
Michelangelo was a prominent artist booming from the Renaissance period for his skill in architecture, painting, and sculpting. Stanley did a wonderful job accurately depicting Michelangelo’s life, from the start when his talent started, to the legacy Michelangelo has today. Michelangelo grew up in a stone cutter’s family, and from there impressed everyone who came into contact with his art. Lorenzo de Medici, Florence’s great ruler was the one who quickly made Michelangelo famous. The main conf ...more
Reily Riemersma
When he was born, Michelangelo Buonarroti was put into the care of a stonecutter's family. He often said he got his inspiration from them for his love of sculpture. It certainly didn't come from his own father, a respectable magistrate who beat his son when he asked to become an artist.

This is a well put together story about the life of Michelangelo the famous painter. One of his most famous paintings of the Sistine chapel is still able for viewing today. You can go on a tour and check it out, t
Olivia
Michelangelo is a nonfiction book about the great Italian painter, Michelangelo. The book begins with Michelangelo's family life as a baby. He was sent away and lived with different people before he lived with his father again. He finally was allowed to become an apprentice for an artist and was so talented was sent to live with and be educated with the Medici family. Many of the boys he associated with in the Medici home went on to become Popes and leaders. Michelangelo's art set of when he mad ...more
Beth
Award-winning author Stanley presents a stunning picture book biography of true Renaissance man Michelangelo Buonarroti, who came to master the arts of sculpting, painting and architecture in fifteenth and sixteenth century Italy. Stanley blends information about Michelangelo and his life as an artist with historical detail to set the scene, and then introduces a fascinating cast of personalities that include his first master Domenico Ghirlandodaio, the Warrior Pope he offended, and his contempo ...more
Ebookwormy
I am increasingly impressed with Diane Stanley's contribution to elementary biography. Even older, junior high students, parents and grandparents will appreciate the excellent work she has done in summarizing the life of Michelangelo.

The narrative is interesting and captures the flow of Michelangelo's life in chronological order, as well as providing insight into the turbulence and challenges of his times.

The illustrations feature Stanley's line draw Michelangelo positioned to work on photogra
Michael
This was given to me as a gift from my uncle, and I can genuinely say that I was not disappointed (however short the book is).

The book includes a short biography on the life of Michelangelo, and the triumphs of his astonishing works.

It took me about 18 minutes to read this book front to back, and at the end I was astonished by the work ethic of this great painter and sculptor.

Tedious hours spent working on a triumph of human creativity, even more hours working on the best sculptures ever made.
Nathaniel Chattic
Grades: 2nd - 4th

I chose this book because it gave me a nice, condensed history on one of my favorite artists. Author Diane Stanley takes the history of this man and transforms it into a lively narrative. The story is given new life with her wonderfully detailed pictures, splicing her artwork with artwork made by Michelangelo himself. It is a well executed collaboration, and readers will be given pleny of history and artwork detailing the life of one of the best painters to have ever lived.

Histo
Sherry Elmer
I wish more children's book writers had as much respect for children as Diane Stanley does. This is a children's book that can be thoroughly enjoyed by children and adults.
Megan
Easy to read, informative for tweens. Interesting and illustrated with actual photos of his work on top of drawings by the author.
Heather
I am very quickly becoming a huge fan of Diane Stanley's books.

I read this, but decided not to use it yet. It's a bit long to use as a read-aloud and I think it would be better to have them read it themselves and then discuss it together.

The information here is detailed yet very readable. We learn not only about Michelangelo, but the world he lived in. It was fascinating.

The illustrations are wonderful. I'm excited to use this book in the future. I think you could use this for 5th grade on up.
Legume
I loved learning about the history surrounding Michelangelo and the painting of the Sistine Chapel. While at a wedding I was able to have a conversation about the Medeci family with a women who had just returned from Italy on vacation. Little did she know that all the information I had was from a small 25 page children's lit book. :) I love learning information from kids books, they are rarely pretentious.
Shelli
This is such an amazing source of information on Michelangelo's life and time in Italy during the 1500's. While presented in a picture book format featuring stunning illustrations, the heavier text and information makes this more of a small chapter book. Intermediate age students through high school, could all benefit from this book for research into one of the greatest Renaissance Artists.
Denise Krebs
Diane Stanley has a way of bringing history to life. In this beautiful, heartwarming rendition of the life of Michelangelo, the greatest painter, sculptor, and architect of the Renaissance, the reader is able to get to know Michelangelo, the Medicis, Pope Julius, and others. In addition she has created beautiful illustrations with collages of Michelangelo's work.
Rachel Thomas
title: Michelangelo (biography)
author: Dian Stanley
Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers
Date of Publication: 2000
Summary: This picture book was interesting to me but I thought it was a little long for a children's book. I think that the children would get sorta bored. But if it was shorter it would be great to read to classes 3rd and up.
Darlene
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

The book is beautifully illustrated, and it provided just enough biographical information to make it suitable for young listeners.

We plan to read more of Stanley's biographies.
Emilee M.
I loved this book. Because i enjoy Michelangelo's art work, i was very interested in learning about his life. I learned many things about him i had not previously known and found it an entertaining read.
Amber
Another great biography story book from Diane Stanley. This is not just a compilation of facts about the artist but rather a the actual story of his life. An enjoyable and educational read.
Beverly
Besides covering the highlights of his light, Diane Stanley's lovely illustrations incorporate photographs of some of M's well-known sculptures and paintings.
Isabella
I thought this book was a good way for us to learn about Michelangelo. I liked it except for the pic of...

Michelangelo dissecting a human!!!!!!

Gross!
Julia Reffner
Great read with fantastic pictures. Glad we included this in our homeschool.
Amanda
I like that the illustrations are combined with actual art.
Vida
Lovely illustrations. Short story.
Lara Densmore
Lara Densmore marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
  • Maps and Globes
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Apprentice
  • Diary of an Early American Boy
  • The Usborne Book of World History (Picture history)
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • A Child's Book of Art: Great Pictures First Words
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • The Sword in the Tree
  • Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
Bella at Midnight The Silver Bowl (Silver Bowl, #1) Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter The Mysterious Case of the Allbright Academy The Cup and the Crown (Silver Bowl, #2)