Blank-133x176
Rufous Redtail

Helen Garrett

Rufous Redtail

4.93 of 5 stars 4.93  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Rufous is a redtail hawk who is impatient to grow up and take on the wide world around him. While he is a juvenile his t tail feathers are brown but when he grows up he knows he'll have red feathers, earning him the name of Redtail Hawk.

He makes friends with the other birds: Jerry Goldfinch, Vario Sapsucker, Luco (a bald eagle) Pandion (a fish hawk) and Buzzy.

His mother t...more
158 pages
Published 1947

To ask other readers questions about Rufous Redtail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rufous Redtail

Charlene
This was my favorite book when I was a child. It's now out of print, but if by chance you should run across it at a rummage or used book sale, grab it. Maybe if enough people request it, Dover Books will republish it.

It is the enchanting story of Rufous, a redtail hawk. It begins with his hatching and follows him growing up, making friends with other birds, learning the lessons of hawk-life and migrating. It's kind of a Bambi story told by a redtail hawk.

I was excited to find a discarded librar...more
Monita
My second grade teacher read this book aloud to the class in the '60s, and I loved it. I have to admit it made me cry. I cared deeply what happened to this bird. I can't find this book anywhere except Amazon.com. They have one used copy for sale currently, at over $200.00, which I'm not willing to pay. I wish the current owner of the publishing rights would release it again. I know the current generation would love it as much as past generations did.
Harry
This book was a significant book in my childhood and I rediscovered it recently. I reread it about four months ago and it still is quite educational to me; teaching me more about myself and the society arround me fifty years after my first read.
Kafryn Lieder
Sep 01, 2008 Kafryn Lieder rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young children who are good readers and like the outdoors
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I probably checked it out from the library 10 times a year! The illustrations were wonderful, too - simple black and white.
Larissa
I think it was my second grade teacher who read this allowed to my class, and I remember loving it! Finding this on GoodReads brought back some memories!
Debbie Kobs
Read this book as a child and still love it!
Louise Roberts
Louise Roberts marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Dennis Michaels
Dennis Michaels marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Rose Lortie
Rose Lortie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Thomas Pippi
Thomas Pippi marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Carolyn Atherton
Carolyn Atherton marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Dana
Dana added it
Jul 01, 2013
Jim Hettinger
Jim Hettinger marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Justin P
Justin P marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Susannah
Susannah marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
Bookwyrmgyrl
Bookwyrmgyrl marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2012
John Queen
John Queen marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2011
Angelo the Naughty Astrology and Metaphysics in the Bible Jobie The Cost of Poor Housing in London Polly Roughhouse