Start by marking “Classics of Western Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Classics of Western Philosophy

Classics of Western Philosophy

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The seventh edition of Steven Cahn's "Classics of Western Philosophy" features several major additions, including selections from Plotinus' "Enneads", Schopenhauer's "The World as Will and Representation", Husserl's "Paris Lectures", Wittgenstein's "Philosophical Investigations", and a new selection from Hegel's "Phenomenology of Spirit". Selections from Aristotle's "Metap ...more
Published June 30th 2007 by Hackett Pub Co (first published January 1st 1977)

Ken Moten
I had originally gave this book 4stars but I have to give it 3 because I am not a big fan of the way they chose to edit these works.
Regan Leigh
Mar 29, 2014 Regan Leigh rated it liked it
Disclaimer- I read the pieces I wanted to read and skipped the others. Somehow I couldn't bring myself to read Schopenhauer's "Emptiness of Existence" after trudging through the Communist Manifesto. Plato and Locke didn't disappoint however.
Julian
Jul 12, 2012 Julian rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This collection is great as an introduction to Western philosophy. The introductions to each philosopher are particularly valuable, especially for students, because they explain the philosopher's beliefs in terms that are easy to understand (without the language loops that are common in some of the books). This collection can easiliy be read by jumping around to different books, and I found it most rewarding to read it this way. Highly recommended for those looking for an easy (and big) introduc ...more
Benjamin
Oct 26, 2012 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I'm working slowly through this massive anthology of Philosophers from Plato to Kant and beyond. So far I've read several of Plato's plays, and I have to say, that Plato's Apology is an incredible piece of literature! Socrates' defence and the accusations levelled against him for teaching on foreign gods, or that they do not exist, is truly a classic in the writings of the ancient philosophers.
Hannah
Dec 21, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
This is the book we used for Philosophy. We read The Meno, The Apology, The Republic, The Nicomachean Ethics, The Meditations, A Treatise on Human Nature, and The Enquiry.
Rebester
I read this ages ago, when I was 19; I'm reading it again to see what's happened to my brain in the 8 years. More to follow...
Chris
Jan 25, 2009 Chris is currently reading it
1400 pages, working front to back.
Hakija
Dec 15, 2008 Hakija rated it really liked it
Good book but long!
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
Apr 07, 2016
Joanne Lo
Joanne Lo rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Fachry
Fachry marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Tom Kline
Tom Kline marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Maurice McKiernan
Maurice McKiernan rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Geraldine
Geraldine marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Marcia McNally
Marcia McNally rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Hajoop
Hajoop added it
Mar 10, 2016
Jalal
Jalal marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Alexia
Alexia rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Janet Grant
Janet Grant marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Forrest Dee Jeffcoat
Forrest Dee Jeffcoat marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
David W.
David W. marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Filippo
Filippo marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Adam Scovell
Adam Scovell marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Gary Baker
Gary Baker marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
  • The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy
  • Introduction to Philosophy: Classical and Contemporary Readings
  • Reason and Responsibility: Readings in Some Basic Problems of Philosophy
  • A History of Philosophy 7: Modern Philosophy
  • A Brief History of Western Philosophy
  • Classics of Moral and Political Theory
  • Socrates to Sartre and Beyond: A History of Philosophy with Free Philosophy Powerweb
  • The Philosophy of the Enlightenment
  • Protagoras/Meno
  • International Organizations: The Politics and Processes of Global Governance
  • The Mechanical Mind: A Philosophical Introduction to Minds, Machines, and Mental Representation
  • Writing Philosophy: A Student's Guide to Writing Philosophy Essays
  • Worlds Together, Worlds Apart: A History of the World, Volume Two: From 1000 CE to the Present
  • The Fundamentals of Ethics
  • A Short History of Modern Philosophy (Routledge Classics)
  • Man a Machine and Man a Plant