Start by marking “Classics of Western Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Classics of Western Philosophy

Classics of Western Philosophy

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The seventh edition of Steven Cahn's "Classics of Western Philosophy" features several major additions, including selections from Plotinus' "Enneads", Schopenhauer's "The World as Will and Representation", Husserl's "Paris Lectures", Wittgenstein's "Philosophical Investigations", and a new selection from Hegel's "Phenomenology of Spirit". Selections from Aristotle's "Metap ...more
Published June 30th 2007 by Hackett Pub Co (first published January 1st 1977)

Ken Moten
I had originally gave this book 4stars but I have to give it 3 because I am not a big fan of the way they chose to edit these works.
Regan Leigh
Mar 29, 2014 Regan Leigh rated it liked it
Disclaimer- I read the pieces I wanted to read and skipped the others. Somehow I couldn't bring myself to read Schopenhauer's "Emptiness of Existence" after trudging through the Communist Manifesto. Plato and Locke didn't disappoint however.
Julian
Jul 12, 2012 Julian rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This collection is great as an introduction to Western philosophy. The introductions to each philosopher are particularly valuable, especially for students, because they explain the philosopher's beliefs in terms that are easy to understand (without the language loops that are common in some of the books). This collection can easiliy be read by jumping around to different books, and I found it most rewarding to read it this way. Highly recommended for those looking for an easy (and big) introduc ...more
Benjamin
Oct 26, 2012 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I'm working slowly through this massive anthology of Philosophers from Plato to Kant and beyond. So far I've read several of Plato's plays, and I have to say, that Plato's Apology is an incredible piece of literature! Socrates' defence and the accusations levelled against him for teaching on foreign gods, or that they do not exist, is truly a classic in the writings of the ancient philosophers.
Hannah
Dec 21, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
This is the book we used for Philosophy. We read The Meno, The Apology, The Republic, The Nicomachean Ethics, The Meditations, A Treatise on Human Nature, and The Enquiry.
Rebester
I read this ages ago, when I was 19; I'm reading it again to see what's happened to my brain in the 8 years. More to follow...
Chris
Jan 25, 2009 Chris is currently reading it
1400 pages, working front to back.
Hakija
Dec 15, 2008 Hakija rated it really liked it
Good book but long!
Liam Walsh
Liam Walsh marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Gage
Gage is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2016
Paul Franklin
Paul Franklin rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Lisa Cavanaugh
Lisa Cavanaugh marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Sky Cheung
Sky Cheung rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Christian
Christian rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Mommy
Mommy rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Brandi Reger
Brandi Reger marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Rosario
Rosario marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Emma
Emma added it
May 26, 2016
Tyler Meers
Tyler Meers rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Zeeshan Ahmad
Zeeshan Ahmad rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
  • Classics of Moral and Political Theory
  • A History of Philosophy 7: Modern Philosophy
  • A Brief History of Western Philosophy
  • The Philosophy of the Enlightenment
  • Socrates to Sartre and Beyond: A History of Philosophy with Free Philosophy Powerweb
  • Writing Philosophy: A Student's Guide to Writing Philosophy Essays
  • Protagoras/Meno
  • A Short History of Modern Philosophy (Routledge Classics)
  • Astronomy Today
  • International Organizations: The Politics and Processes of Global Governance
  • Social Contract: Essays by Locke, Hume, and Rousseau
  • Reverence: Renewing a Forgotten Virtue
  • The Encyclopaedia Logic: The Encyclopaedia of Philosophical Sciences 1 with the Zusatze
  • The Sources of Normativity
  • Worlds Together, Worlds Apart: A History of the World, Volume Two: From 1000 CE to the Present