The Mother-Daughter Book Club: How Ten Busy Mothers and Daughters Came Together to Talk, Laugh and Learn Through Their Love of Reading

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Combining the practical with the personal, "The Mother-Daughter Book Club" tells the story of 10 mothers and their preteen daughters and how their relationships were enriched through a monthly reading club. With step-by-step guidelines, stories, anecdotes, reading lists, sample themes and related activities, it offers practical instructions for starting a book club while e...more
Published May 7th 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1997)

Marian
I bet you're thinking this book was a little premature. My daughter is only two. I'm funny that way.

Honestly, I skimmed most of this book. I mean really, 274 pages to explain the inner workings of a book club. Ugh. Not to mention the format of the book was really confusing. Expert testimonies of the benefit of reading would interrupt the chapters, only for them to pick back up a page or two later practically mid-sentance.

What I did like--lists of favorite childhood books from famous authors and...more
I chose this book a while ago because I was beginning book clubs and because I had some parents who wanted to connect with their kids by reading together.

I like the book, I really do, but I also have some issues with it. First off, I think it needs to be updated. It was written in the 90s and such a valuable resource ought to be updated. Secondly, the author and her book club reside in Washington, DC. They have resources that the rest of the country do not have. My goodness! They even had author...more
Melissa
I think I would have more of an opinion about this book if I had children. As it is, i think it's a really good jumping off point for parents who are interested in starting a book group for middle grades/teens. Dodson has plenty of good ideas and many, many different books are named throughout as recommended by parents, educators, and writers. Dodson has 15 titles listed in the back with examples of activities and questions.

What I don't like about this book is the layout. There are little testim...more
Becky
This book is awesome! I want to do this, I really do. Now I just need to see if my daughters want to do this, too.
Victoria
A gift from my daughter, who when she reads it will probably be relieved that she was spared having to grow up with her mom in a book club with her. Difficult to read because of the layout of the book but full of valuable insight that can be used at any age. Plus dozens of books lists. I love book lists! I've already recommended it.
Jackie
Some great, common-sense ideas for starting a Mother-Daughter Book Club, especially someone who has no clue where to begin. The book suggestions/reading material is a tiny bit dated, but overall the message and benefits are well-thought out and timely.

Used as reference for "Tweens Mother-Daughter Book Club" Discussion Group initial kick-off meeting- August, 2010 at BPL.
Julie Williams
This is the book I bought to help me begin a mother/daughter book club of my own. So the moms and girls of my Girl Scout Troop meet once a month and read books that challenge the girls and interest the moms. I love Shireen's other book "100 Books for Girls to Grow On" it has great suggestions and ideas for crafts and questions.
Kim
I think it encouraged me to do this with my girls, even though they are much older and live far away. Some are not readers, some are.
I didn't read this one word for word or anything, but it was alright. And now I am desirous to start or be a part of a mother-daughter book club when my daughter is of age. 8ish to 14ish, I guess.
Adrienne
Best thing I got from this book was inspiration to connect with my daughter through our common love of reading. The very long list of book recommendations that I gleaned would be second.
BooksAndTea
It was not what I expected--I thought it was a bonding experience type of memoir, instead of a rather convoluted memoir/lists/how-to.

Glad to see they seemed to make it work.
Kathleen
This is a nice tribute to the mother-daughter book clubs Dodson shared with each of her daughters, but the "meat" of the book could be reduced to a short article.
Judith
Jun 23, 2012 Judith marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Found at the thrift store, and since our book club members are always looking for ideas, I thought I couldn't go wrong for 25 cents. :) We shall see.
Jocelyn
Interesting way of getting mothers - daughters to bond. & lots of ideas on what books to recommend for young adults to read.
mia
Oct 12, 2007 mia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am thinking about initiating a group like this at my library. (where i work! woot!)
Jenny
Read in 2002. I never did start the book club for girls.
Laura Battle
Great ideas but it got a bit redundant.
Lisa
Sep 05, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Parenting
Virginie
Virginie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Tara
Tara added it
May 17, 2014
Abby Hekker
Abby Hekker marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
100 Books for Girls to Grow On The Mother-Daughter Book Club: Stories to Grow on The Mother-Daughter Book Club Rev Ed.: How Ten Busy Mothers and Daughters Came Together to Talk, Laugh, and Learn Through Their Love of Reading The Mother Daughter Book Club Kit

“...I do write books that are female oriented. In my books, the female characters are always searching for something and they often find it, and what they find is themselves and their own strength. I want girls to understand there has been a long history of strong women... Women have always been oppressed but managed to see their own way, and there is a long tradition of females doing what they want to do, and that's what girls can do. They can have selves of their own, a definition of themselves.'" ~Virginia Hamilton in Shireen Dodson's the Mother-Daughter Book Club” 0 likes
“People will point to books written about women, by men, and books written by women, and say, ‘Tell me, what is the difference?’ The answer… ‘Well, how many books do you know where female friendships are authentically portrayed, where childbirth is really portrayed, where the mother-daughter relationship is talked about in a meaningful way, where women's real experience during wartime is portrayed? You could look at what’s left out.’ Virginia Woolf said so well in A Room of One’s Own: ‘Women are inevitably portrayed in men's literature as having to do with men; their lives are seen as centered on men. And how little of a woman's life this is!’”

~ Ellen Silber, PH.D in Shireen Dodson’s the Mother-Daughter Book Club”
0 likes