Start by marking “Gashlycrumb Tinies” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Gashlycrumb Tinies

Edward Gorey

Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works #1)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  26,338 ratings  ·  546 reviews

A new, small-format edition of one of Gorey’s “dark masterpieces of surreal morality” (Vanity Fair) - a witty, disquieting journey through the alphabet.

Published December 1st 1986 by Beaufort Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Gashlycrumb Tinies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gashlycrumb Tinies

karen
this is not a book review so much as a fulfillment of a request by ladies whose whims i cannot refuse.

R(est) I(n) P(ubescence): A Study of Child Mortality in Battle Royale and The Gashlycrumb Tinies as Historical Documents

edward gorey was an american illustrator, and as such his children, or "tinies", meet their ends in very american ways. they all have "accidents" befall them. (excluding the suspiciously-like-suicide situations of zillah, neville, and james) this book is seemingly representativ
Ronyell
Sep 02, 2012 Ronyell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark children's books fans!!!
Twenty-six different ways to die!

Now, I am no stranger when it comes to reading dark and morbid books for children since I had read children’s books such as “Halloween ABC” and “The Spider and the Fly” which were just as morbid. But “The Gashlycrumb Tinies” was one of the first children’s books I have read that is about several different ways for kids to die! “The Gashlycrumb Tinies” is a picture book written and illustrated by Edward Gorey and it is a book that will truly cause every reader’s
Daniella
Jan 06, 2009 Daniella rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially those with a morbid sense of humor
Recommended to Daniella by: Cari
"N is for Neville who died of ennui."

Ha! Perfection!

The Gashlycrumb Tinies is a work of utterly fantastic macabre hilarity. It's one of those books you cackle maniacally over while flipping through it after a run-in at the local Mega-Mart with some snot-nosed brat screeching and howling because Mommy wouldn't let him get that ridiculously expensive new toy or some treat with 20,000 grams of sugar.

And it never loses that special ghastly charm. Quick, simple, and simply hilarious, it's enjoyable n
Stacey (prettybooks)
The Gashlycrumb Tinies is an adorable, morbid way to learn your ABCs. I especially loved 'K is for Kate who was struck with an axe'. I don't know what that says about me.
Sue
Wonderful, almost indescribable. Do yourself a favor...go and find a copy of this perversely delightful little book immediately. Enjoy!
Mairéad (is exploring a floating city)
4.5 stars, because OMG MY HEART. O_______O;

I still recall the time someone brought this up in a class one day, I forget if it was a student or a teacher. And man, this was so ghastly creepy. 26 letters, 26 kids, 26 deaths. *shudders* Ironically it's done in a rather poetic way.

WARNING. THIS IS DARK. IT MAY BE SUPPOSEDLY A CHILDREN'S BOOK BUT ITS VERY DARK HUMOUR.
Michael
A singsong story
by Edward Gorey
full of cheerful black and grey illustrations

each one of a kid
at the moment they did
meet a tragic and early termination.

By wolf maw and knife
they depart from this life,
by drowning, falling and decapitation

until each one is slewn
and their bodies are strewn
all about Gorey's morbid imagination.

The funniest aspect of this, I believe, is the way each picture shows the child right before the tragedy occurs. For instance, the girl about to die of poisoning is shown sitt
Mia
Right. This'll give me nightmares.

I don't know why I do this to myself.
J.P.
Strange how such a morbid little book can leave you so sure of your place in the world. Schadenfreude at its finest?

Reminds me of a story: a woman stands up to memorialize her friend at his funeral and after a few well chosen words, looks fondly at his closed coffin. She then turns to the gathered mourners and ask, "I wonder what he'd be doing now, if he were still alive...SCRATCHING AT THE LID OF HIS COFFIN!"

She then was politely escorted away.
Rebecca McNutt
...I just don't get it.

Was this book supposed to be funny or something? It was just morbid to me, and maybe that was the whole point, but as far as originality or creativity, it doesn't have any. It makes no attempt at being anything but just another Addams Family copycat, and in that sense, it's just a generic book that anyone could easily come up with.

And I'm not trying to sound like some strict old lady or anything, but come on, an alphabet book about children being killed in various ways? I
Trudi
I've filed this as a "childish delight" but make no mistake, while it reads like a child's rhyme, it's really meant for adults. You could quite possibly scar a child for life by making this a bedtime story :-D An absolute classic, and not to be missed!!!!
Anca
C is for Clara who wasted away.

U is for Una who slipped down a drain.

Y is for Yorick whose head was knocked in.
Z is for Zillah who drank too much gin.

The pictures complete the sadistic fun of it. hahah
So glad I've found this.
Sara Alaee
Given the alphabetic diversity of my friends' names, I think I should write a piece myself! So much fun! ;)
Esteban del Mal
It has dawned on me that Edward Gorey stole all of my good ideas. Before I ever had them.
A short and joyously ghastly read. :) Death from A to Z!
R.
r is for R. who wrote a review but didn't get fa
Marwah
The illustrations are dark and gorgeous. :D

But I would not give it to a child, too creepy for them XD.

This could be me:

photo 9ed19d821aeefb640eec5486e2ec0c73_zps75ae06d0.jpg
Leslie
Every fall, when the school year starts, I go online and take the "What Edward Gorey Death Will You Die" personality quiz. I then print up the results and slip the page (along with the illustration)into my weekly planner.

This year I was Susan, I believe ... or whichever one "perished of fits." The quiz results were delivered with advice about taking it easy. I'm trying to, but oh the fits! The fits!
drowningmermaid
Well, that was the most disturbing thing I've read in the whole of today.

Re-read 9-24-2014
William Galaini
My my my my... we all spend a chunk of our childhood learning the alphabet. Sometimes we do so with a marvelously illustrated version like Animalia or perhaps we have something more bland like a simple board book.

And then, as adults, our hands find The Gashlycrumb Tinies. This small book is a series of humorous couplets that teach the alphabet via the HORRIBLE AND MURDEROUS DEATH OF PRIVILEGED CHILDREN.

The entire work is an expression of dichotomy. The title couples the word 'gash' with 'crumb'
Kruti
Jun 03, 2012 Kruti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Kruti by: my wonderful taste
I’ll be honest, I’ve never heard of or read any of Gorey’s work before The Gashlycrumb Tinies and you cannot believe how glad I am to have stumbled upon his works. Ohh how unfortunate I have been to not have discovered his existence until now *sobs*.

The Gashlycrumb Tinies tells the tale of 26 children, each representing a letter of the alphabet, and their ultimate demise. Seriously, why is this grim abecedarian not taught in schools as part of the curriculum rather than those ‘A is for an Apple…
Sarah Sammis
Ian and I are both fans of macabre humor and especially of Edward Gorey. Surprised that we didn't own a copy of The Gashlycrumb Tinies, Ian bought a lovely copy for me for Christmas. I have already read it at least twice (possibly three times) and I'm seriously considering doing a series of 3D renders based on this book (one per letter). My goal isn't to reproduce the drawings or the children, just to explore the settings.

The book is short, only twenty-six pages long. Each page is a different ch
Sammy
It's bleak, it's black, it's morbid: the very image of macabre is this, Gorey's tiny masterpiece. In just 28 short frames (including the iconic title page), "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" chronicles the tragic deaths of 26 children. It's easy to write this work off as appealing to the black-fingernailed set, but this is a wryly funny work which does what the best macabre fiction does: blends despair with laughter (the kind of laughter you can't stop even though you know you should).

My favourite frames
Nayiry Marcossyan
portraits of all the ways kids die by "accidents" or the neglect of parents, even some uncommon wierd ways like "x is for xeres devoured with mice"...but we all as kids were been threatened to be taken to the basement where mice will devour us..( or at least only the kids of my school xD), so i think this indicates illustration of how the ways that a kid is brought up can ruin him in the future and turn him to a failure, "p is for prue trampled flat in a brawl " is another indicator of my point, ...more
Florencia
I've met the guy that inspired the awesome Tim Burton, finally. And as I figured, his weird awesomeness is breathtaking.
This is a book apparently for children (it is NOT) that, with quite a morbid sense of humor, teaches the alphabet. Twenty-six ways to die and lovely pictures describing each one of them.
This would have been such a funny way to learn the alphabet, although I'd probably be a hypochondriac or a sociopath by now. Who knows.

My letter is F

f
Now that's a bad way to go.

Kirsten Vela
What an adorably dark ABC! Very entertaining for a lover of grotesque like me! ...more
Nicole
I really enjoy this sort of thing.
This book is adorable, I couldn't stop giggling throughout. Very funny and full of dark humor, both teens and adults alike would get a kick out of this (as long as you aren't overly sensitive)! Plus its not as completely random as most of Gorey's other stories, where you have no idea what is happening- Gorey writes very simplistically but that doesn't necessarily mean he is easy to understand. But basically the Gashlycrumb Tinies is a simple A to Z guide to death, with cute drawings and Gorey's ...more
Haley
After somehow misplacing my first copy, I repurchased this gem. The Gashlycrumb Tinies is for anyone with a bit of dark humor to them (which is me, in a nutshell) or loves to cackle at some poor child's expense (again, me, nutshell). Using the letters of the alphabet to describe twenty-six children's ultimate demise, Gorey's play on the typical children's alphabet book geared towards adults is a quick and darkly witty read. This is also a great introduction into Gorey's work, if you enjoy this s ...more
Philip
So, I found out about this book from a poem that was linked on a Flight-815ers Unite (LOST) thread by Lori. I was intrigued, so I thought I'd check it out.

I did, and it was definitely worth it. Macabre humor indeed.

Sometimes I feel like Neville.
Goodreads Librari...: Issues with one edition of "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" 3 11 Dec 22, 2014 02:32PM
Goodreads Italia: I piccini di Gashlycrumb - Edward Gorey 2 18 Dec 04, 2013 11:59PM
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 1 1 2 Nov 14, 2012 08:12AM
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • The Twelve Terrors of Christmas
  • Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
  • The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: 14 Amazing Authors Tell the Tales
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers
  • Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes
  • Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • Drawing from Memory
  • Clara and Mr. Tiffany
  • Good Faeries Bad Faeries
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #1)
  • The Shrinking of Treehorn
  • Lenore: Wedgies
  • The Book of Bunny Suicides
  • Gnomes
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more
More about Edward Gorey...

The Vinegar Works (3 books)
  • The Insect God (The Vinegar Works, #2)
  • The West Wing (The Vinegar Works, #3)
Amphigorey Amphigorey Too Amphigorey Also The Doubtful Guest The Epiplectic Bicycle