Start by marking “Gashlycrumb Tinies” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Gashlycrumb Tinies

Edward Gorey

Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works #1)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  31,333 Ratings  ·  616 Reviews

A new, small-format edition of one of Gorey’s “dark masterpieces of surreal morality” (Vanity Fair) - a witty, disquieting journey through the alphabet.

Published December 1st 1986 by Beaufort Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Gashlycrumb Tinies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gashlycrumb Tinies

karen
Jul 31, 2011 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aaaahhrrrtt, dbr
this is not a book review so much as a fulfillment of a request by ladies whose whims i cannot refuse.

R(est) I(n) P(ubescence): A Study of Child Mortality in Battle Royale and The Gashlycrumb Tinies as Historical Documents

edward gorey was an american illustrator, and as such his children, or "tinies", meet their ends in very american ways. they all have "accidents" befall them. (excluding the suspiciously-like-suicide situations of zillah, neville, and james) this book is seemingly representativ
Nandakishore Varma
I have a love-hate relationship towards creepy children's books. During my childhood, they used to scare the hell out of me - in those days the enlightened souls who wrote children's books were of the opinion that scaring the living daylights out of a kid was the best way to ensure that he grew up to be an upright human being. But I went back, again and again. They must have inculcated the enduring love of horror that I have today.

This is an alphabet book - or A B C book as we Indians call it -
Anya
Every time I read a disturbing book, I'm gripped by the thought of wanting to make my future children read it (don't know what that says about me). I mean, this book is perfect- a perfect cocktail of morbidity, poetry, beautiful art and the funnies.

This is a book about 26 children (or as Gorey calls them, tinies) each for a different alphabet who meet a Gorey (heh) end.

It's beautiful!

And it's a book with a lesson- we all are mortals, we're all bound to die sometime.

Bah, fairy tales with high
Ronyell
Sep 02, 2012 Ronyell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark children's books fans!!!
Twenty-six different ways to die!

Now, I am no stranger when it comes to reading dark and morbid books for children since I had read children’s books such as “Halloween ABC” and “The Spider and the Fly” which were just as morbid. But “The Gashlycrumb Tinies” was one of the first children’s books I have read that is about several different ways for kids to die! “The Gashlycrumb Tinies” is a picture book written and illustrated by Edward Gorey and it is a book that will truly cause every reader’s
Daniella
Jan 06, 2009 Daniella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially those with a morbid sense of humor
Recommended to Daniella by: Cari
"N is for Neville who died of ennui."

Ha! Perfection!

The Gashlycrumb Tinies is a work of utterly fantastic macabre hilarity. It's one of those books you cackle maniacally over while flipping through it after a run-in at the local Mega-Mart with some snot-nosed brat screeching and howling because Mommy wouldn't let him get that ridiculously expensive new toy or some treat with 20,000 grams of sugar.

And it never loses that special ghastly charm. Quick, simple, and simply hilarious, it's enjoyable n
Stacey (prettybooks)
The Gashlycrumb Tinies is an adorable, morbid way to learn your ABCs. I especially loved 'K is for Kate who was struck with an axe'. I don't know what that says about me.
Coos Burton
Feb 18, 2016 Coos Burton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arte
Si alguien deseara conocer el estilo de Edward Gorey, sin lugar a duda "Los pequeños macabros" sería mi primera recomendación. No solo porque se pueden apreciar perfectamente los rasgos característicos de los niños de Gorey, sino porque es de lo más fúnebre y mórbido que tiene. Básicamente, un ABC de niños cuyas muertes fueron indefectiblemente trágicas.
Florencia
I've met the guy that inspired the awesome Tim Burton, finally. And as I figured, his weird awesomeness is breathtaking.
This is a book apparently for children (it is NOT) that, with quite a morbid sense of humor, teaches the alphabet. Twenty-six ways to die and lovely pictures describing each one of them.
This would have been such a funny way to learn the alphabet, although I'd probably be a hypochondriac or a sociopath by now. Who knows.

My letter is F

f
Now that's a bad way to go.

Michelle Morrell
Feb 02, 2016 Michelle Morrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, read-2016
Gorey's most famous alphabet book, set to rhyme, begins "A is for Amy who fell down the stairs" and continues on with a litany of gruesome accidents, churning its way through 26 very unfortunate children, accompanied by his delightfully dark drawings. I used to have this in poster form, but alas, it too fell to disaster. But happy day (ironically), it comes in book form. I bought this at Left Bank books in Pike Place Market, "the anarchist bookstore." Support your local small bookstores! http:// ...more
Sue
Feb 01, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, humor, read-in-2012
Wonderful, almost indescribable. Do yourself a favor...go and find a copy of this perversely delightful little book immediately. Enjoy!
Mia  Bakhthiar
Right. This'll give me nightmares.

I don't know why I do this to myself.
Michael
Apr 14, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A singsong story
by Edward Gorey
full of cheerful black and grey illustrations

each one of a kid
at the moment they did
meet a tragic and early termination.

By wolf maw and knife
they depart from this life,
by drowning, falling and decapitation

until each one is slewn
and their bodies are strewn
all about Gorey's morbid imagination.

The funniest aspect of this, I believe, is the way each picture shows the child right before the tragedy occurs. For instance, the girl about to die of poisoning is shown sitt
Mairéad (is exploring a floating city)
4.5 stars, because OMG MY HEART. O_______O;

I still recall the time someone brought this up in a class one day, I forget if it was a student or a teacher. And man, this was so ghastly creepy. 26 letters, 26 kids, 26 deaths. *shudders* Ironically it's done in a rather poetic way.

WARNING. THIS IS DARK. IT MAY BE SUPPOSEDLY A CHILDREN'S BOOK BUT ITS VERY DARK HUMOUR.
David Schaafsma
Dec 23, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-children
Probably Gorey's most famous work, clever and lightly (?) sardonic and meticulously crafted. An abecedarian book. Told in dactylic (look it up!) couplets about each of 26 (one for each letter of the alphabet) children and how they met their untimely deaths. Sound horrific? It's very fun and funny and for all ages. I have read this book many times, and own it, as you all should.
Kwoomac
One of my favorites. The combination of Gorey's intricate drawings and his matter of fact dialog just kills me. I like to use this book as a barometer of whether or not I can be friends with someone. I often give this book to new parents.

My favorites:

N is for Neville who died of ennui.
W is for Winnie embedded in ice
Trudi
I've filed this as a "childish delight" but make no mistake, while it reads like a child's rhyme, it's really meant for adults. You could quite possibly scar a child for life by making this a bedtime story :-D An absolute classic, and not to be missed!!!!
Anca
Jun 02, 2009 Anca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english, 10
C is for Clara who wasted away.

U is for Una who slipped down a drain.

Y is for Yorick whose head was knocked in.
Z is for Zillah who drank too much gin.

The pictures complete the sadistic fun of it. hahah
So glad I've found this.
Sara Alaee
Given the alphabetic diversity of my friends' names, I think I should write a piece myself! So much fun! ;)
Esteban del Mal
Oct 02, 2009 Esteban del Mal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It has dawned on me that Edward Gorey stole all of my good ideas. Before I ever had them.
J.P.
Jan 14, 2014 J.P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strange how such a morbid little book can leave you so sure of your place in the world. Schadenfreude at its finest?

Reminds me of a story: a woman stands up to memorialize her friend at his funeral and after a few well chosen words, looks fondly at his closed coffin. She then turns to the gathered mourners and ask, "I wonder what he'd be doing now, if he were still alive...SCRATCHING AT THE LID OF HIS COFFIN!"

She then was politely escorted away.
Jason
Mar 22, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Some really creepy stuff! You think you have picked up a book to help your kids learn the alphabet using rhyming as a tool, by the time you reach "B" you realise you have stumbled into something dark.

The Rhyming is good ya can't fault that. The illustrations, are dark and unclear, they draw you in as you try to figure out whats going on and then you spot the mice that are about to devour poor Xerxes. Some are better than others, by far the creepiest is "I is for Ida who drowned in a lake" the la
Miriam
Feb 10, 2009 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture

drowningmermaid
Well, that was the most disturbing thing I've read in the whole of today.

Re-read 9-24-2014
Feb 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short and joyously ghastly read. :) Death from A to Z!
R.
Dec 31, 2007 R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tobedatedlater
r is for R. who wrote a review but didn't get fa
Natalia Gamarra
May 08, 2016 Natalia Gamarra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Pero vaya tragedia para aquellos niños ja ja ja. No..obvio que no es insensibilidad, sólo se trata de humor negro. Mi favorito: "La de XERXES, devorado por los ratones".

Marwah
Apr 28, 2014 Marwah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The illustrations are dark and gorgeous. :D

But I would not give it to a child, too creepy for them XD.

This could be me:

photo 9ed19d821aeefb640eec5486e2ec0c73_zps75ae06d0.jpg
Leslie
Mar 05, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every fall, when the school year starts, I go online and take the "What Edward Gorey Death Will You Die" personality quiz. I then print up the results and slip the page (along with the illustration)into my weekly planner.

This year I was Susan, I believe ... or whichever one "perished of fits." The quiz results were delivered with advice about taking it easy. I'm trying to, but oh the fits! The fits!
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Heh heh heh...An alphabet primer for grownups who like macabre humor. Perfect for Valentine's Day! :-0

K is for Kate who was struck with an axe,
L is for Leo who swallowed some tacks...

The artwork is hilarious, too.
David
Jan 10, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
OK: I confess, I "read' this on YouTube -

The book that finally contains an answer to Prufrock's question "Do I dare to eat a peach?" (just ask Ernest).
Goodreads Librari...: Issues with one edition of "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" 3 13 Dec 22, 2014 02:32PM
Goodreads Italia: I piccini di Gashlycrumb - Edward Gorey 2 19 Dec 04, 2013 11:59PM
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 1 1 2 Nov 14, 2012 08:12AM
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • Good Faeries Bad Faeries
  • Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors
  • Clara and Mr. Tiffany
  • Sabine's Notebook (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #2)
  • Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House
  • The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories
  • The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss
  • The Shrinking of Treehorn
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more
More about Edward Gorey...

The Vinegar Works (3 books)
  • The Insect God (The Vinegar Works, #2)
  • The West Wing (The Vinegar Works, #3)