Start by marking “Down Comes the Rain” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  33 reviews
After rain comes down, the sun comes out and dries the puddles. But the water isn't gone. The heat from the sun has turned it into water vapor-it has evaporated. Eventually, this moisture in the air condenses to form new clouds. Soon the rain will fall again. Read on to find out all the ups and downpours of the water cycle!
Published August 16th 1997 by HarperCollins (first published August 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Down Comes the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Comes the Rain

Jane LoBosco
This book was definitely one of my favor books I have read all semester. It is incredibly informative, without being the slightest bit boring. There are wonderful illustrations that really accentuate all of the information that readers are obtaining. The words are sophisticated, yet they are written in a way that should easily make sense to all readers. It goes through all of the ways that rain is produced and comes down, which is something that young children really have no idea about. I think ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Franklyn M. Branley
Illustrated by James Graham Hale
Harper Collins 1997
Verdict: This is a good book to borrow from the library to explain why it rains to young children in first and second grade.

Down Comes the Rain by Franklyn M. Branley is a good science themed picture book. This is definitely a good book to read with children who are past kindergarten. There are many different concepts about the water cycle that are explained in this book. The science is explained well but s
Janice Redding
I like this book because it talks about the different uses of water, and introduces concepts that include water. One main concept that this book discusses is about water vapor. Water vapor is a gas and is made when water evaporates. That means that water changes from liquid to a gas, and the water vapor may go into the air. So, this book can be used to talk about the states of matter with third grade students. Some activities that I would implement with my class is that I would make water vapor ...more
Amanda Andrews
Book Title: Down Comes the Rain
by Franklyn M. Branley

Short Description of the Book: Branley explains the water cycle and all of the different forms that rain can take. He describes evaporation and condensation in detail, and makes real life connections between a young reader’s personal observations of water and the water cycle itself.

Focus: Informational Features I Would Use in a Mini-Lesson

1.) Informational Text Structure: In many informational books authors provide descriptions of different c
Kathryn Brewer
This is a great book to use when focusing on science materials in class. It focuses on the cycle of water and gives illustrations of each part of the cycle. It has detailed information for kids to learn and use when drawing their own cycles of water.
Chelsea Bucci
This book is a good resource to use to discuss with students where rain comes from. The story begins by stating that rain comes from all sorts of clouds (big, little, black, gray, and even white). All clouds are made up of billions of droplets of water. The droplets come from water vapor which is a gas. The story then discusses evaporation or when water changes from a liquid to a gas. It also shows how cold class of ice cold water can create condensation. Lastly, it discusses how water has the p ...more
Books Kids Like
Water on Earth evaporates and rises into the air around us. When water vapor rises way up into the sky, it gets cold enough to change back to liquid water. It condenses and forms clouds. Sometimes these clouds get so full of water droplets that they turn dark, and rain falls from the sky. Other times, the water droplets freeze. Ice crystals can be carried up and down inside a cloud. Each time they go up more water droplets cling to them and freeze. Soon, the ice falls from the sky as hail. All t ...more
Kim T.
Excellent! I will be referring back to this book.
Kellee Hao
Content: Rain/ Weather
Grade: Kindergarten
My students are actually learning about weather this month, and one of the first few weather changes they know instantly is rain. Rain is very common because it comes around every season. It is also a cycle and we can never avoid it, so why not learn more about it? This book also tells you a couple of experiments you can do at home with your children about water vaporization!
Ebookwormy
Another good, but not great book by Branley. The information is good, but somehow lacks clarity. The water cycle is covered twice, with a detailed description of hail, but lacks clear delineation of evaporation, condensation, precipitation, and doesn't cover collection at all.

Recommended to check out and supplement teaching on the water cycle, but I found The Magic School Bus to be a better text for a core lesson.
Heather
28 months - I grabbed this one at the thrift store for $1 thinking it would be a good introduction to where rain comes from. Certainly not the best book on earth. I think it could have conveyed the same content in half the pages and it's missing a few important points but the price was right and it's sufficient for the 2 year old crowd.
Shakita
This book was about the weather cycle. We learned about why it rains, snows, and hails. The book had nice illustrations to go with the descriptions. Kids could use this book when they learn about the weather. This book had great informational stuff in it that students would find useful.
Cornelius
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom to explain to children where does rain comes from. In addition, describes key terms, such as water vapor, evaporation, and states of matter, such as a liquid changing into a gas.
Heidi
Very simple book teaching basic concepts of earth's water cycle. Works for an audience of children just starting to show interest. Would not work as a story time, but could book talk it to give ideas for those interested in the subject.
Erin
I love the diagrams in this book. They really help to understand the water cycle. As this book teaches the water cycle to students it also provides simple experiments to try. The experiments are quick and do not require many materials.
Megan Rowland
This book is perfect for when you are talking about water in science. It talks about about ice, evsporation, liquid to gas, and all those good things about water. This is a great book to read before doing an experiment!
Melissa Housholder
This book tells exactly how and why it rains. It goes through all the seasons and explains the entire cycle water goes through and the different stages (vapor, liguid, solid). Great book for teaching the water cycle!
Dominique Maderitz
This booek is about what happens when the rain comes to the ground. The book talks about the water cycle in a fun way. This book would be useful to teach children the water cycle and different weather.
Dolly
May 30, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
All about water in our atmosphere, showing the water cycle and how rain is formed. A short book that is easy to read at one time, but full of facts about water. Very interesting and fun to read.
Michaela
Awesome for a science lesson on the water cycle. Used this book for my Science Literature Kit and had the students make a water cycle bracelet so they could remember the journey.
Jasmine
Wonderful book to share with students when beginning a lessn on the weather system. This book is also written on levels so students will be able to read amongst themselves.
Christine Turner
Explains how the water cycle leads to different types of weather patterns.
www.hcpl.net

This is part of a series: "Let's-read-and-find-out science."
Hailey Dellinger
I read this book in my placement and I love how interested they were in learning about water!! One main concept that this book discusses is about water vapor
Shantia Redd
This book places emphasis on new vocabulary words. With each page the story goes into more and more detail about the newly learned vocabulary words.
Nicole
I really like these types of books! This would be a great accompaniment to a lesson on how rain is formed.
Teri
tends to be repetitve and dry--but I did like the explanation of how hail is formed.
This book is good for talking about the water cycle and physical changes.
Amber
Great introduction to scientific knowledge of the cycle of water.
Rita
This book is a great way to teach students about the water cycle.
Karyn
A little long. Might want to read part. Good explanations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Animals in Winter: Stage 1
  • Bugs Are Insects
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • From Tadpole to Frog
  • Oh Say Can You Say Whats the Weather Today
  • How a Seed Grows
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • The Reasons for Seasons
  • The Cloud Book
  • The Magic School Bus in the Arctic: A Book About Heat: A Book About Heat
  • Water Dance
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • If You Hopped Like A Frog
The Planets in Our Solar System What Makes Day and Night The Moon Seems to Change Flash, Crash, Rumble, and Roll What Makes a Magnet?