Start by marking “Women Lawyers: Rewriting the Rules” as Want to Read:
Women Lawyers: Rewriting the Rules

Women Lawyers: Rewriting the Rules

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Drawing on more than 100 interviews with women lawyers, judges, law school professors, and law students, Harrington pinpoints the barriers women face when they claim equal professional authority--among them the "men's club" ambience, the focus on billable hours, distorted media images, and sexual harassment.
Published January 1st 1995 by Plume (first published January 18th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Women Lawyers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Lawyers

Nancy Monson
Jan 27, 2009 Nancy Monson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women lawyers, especially new to the profession
Shelves: legal
An interesting mix of personal observation of women in the legal system, and the perspectives (through anonymous interviews) of several women practicing law.

I expected and hoped for a more succinct and factual accounting. Rather, I got a mixed bag of seemingly whiny complainers and quotable quotes.

All in all, a good early effort to define what "women lawyers" really are all about.

Personally, after practicing law for so long, I hardly see gender as a factor in the actual practice or application o
Sybil Gelin
Extremely well-written. Refreshing to read about women who find the practice of law to be anything but a "liberating" experience. As a woman who plans to go to law school in a couple years, I'd definitely recommend this as a must-read for all law school/lawyer hopefuls (of both sexes).
Leslie
Feb 27, 2008 Leslie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women lawyers
This book summed up everything I had been feeling!! It was completely on the money. I read it and felt angry and yet somehow relieved that I wasn't alone in what I had always felt about being a lawyer, woman, and mommy.
Pennylope
read before law school...prob would do me good to do again.
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Bex W
Bex W is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2014
Vera Lawrenta
Vera Lawrenta marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Ashley Fetter
Ashley Fetter marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Danasia Eubanks
Danasia Eubanks marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Golnoush
Golnoush marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Leah
Leah added it
Jan 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Care and Equality: Inventing a New Family Politics Dream Of Deliverance Dream of Deliverance Women of Academe Women of Academe: Outsiders in the Sacred Grove