Start by marking “Thanks For The Memories” as Want to Read:
Thanks For The Memories

Thanks For The Memories

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  24,481 ratings  ·  1,386 reviews
How is it possible to know someone you've never met?

Joyce Conway remembers things she shouldn't. She knows about tiny cobbled streets in Paris, which she has never visited. And every night she dreams about an unknown little girl with blonde hair.

Justin Hitchcock is divorced, lonely and restless. He arrives in Dublin to give a lecture on art and is persuaded to donate blood
Published 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Thanks For The Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanks For The Memories

Conviction by Amanda LanceWilling Captive by Belle AuroraShadowlands by Kate BrianThese Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanThe Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
spongy
16th out of 38 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Mansi Sharma
"Sometimes we need all the glue we can get, just to hold ourselves together." This is one book that I just didn't want to have an end. It taught me so much. Specially the things that I knew but couldn't quite come one to. Thanks for the Memories has two parallel stories looking for one common destination. An Irish woman Joyce has just had a tsunami of troubled times in her life. She's going through the loss of her unborn child, a failed marriage and has to face all those sorry faces that she cou ...more
Simcsa
How is it possible to know someone you've never met?

With her marriage already in pieces, Joyce Conway nearly lost everything else. But she survived the terrible accident - and now, inexplicably, she can remember faces she has never seen, cobblestone Parisian streets she's never visited.

Thanks For The Memories is like a bubble gum, it stretches until it bursts. And unfortunately my patience stretched and burst with it and then I wasn't interested in what was to happen next, not at all. I indeed w
Meghan Cooper
Sep 05, 2010 Meghan Cooper rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Meghan by: Friend
Shelves: holiday-books
I finished Thanks For The Memories last night at about 10.30. I read a full 300 hundred pages in the evening. Maybe slightly obsessive, but It was a rather addictive story! It’s really hard to judge this book by its cover, it is so pretty and the colours are just lovely!
Thanks For The Memories by Cecelia Ahern is her fifth book to be published and is definitely my favourite so far.

It follows Joyce as she comes to term with the loss of her unborn baby due to an accident falling down the stairs.
Alaine
What a wonderful book!!!! This book was one of those rare books that grabbed me from the first chapter, one that you can't put down, you just have to keep reading to find out what is going to happen to the characters and you read as fast as you possibly can.
This was such a beautifully told story from the first page to the last. I loved the diversity of the characters, the pain, the relationships, I laughed until I nearly cried and then I cried when I felt their pain.
The story is set mainly in Ir
Ailsa
FreshGrads .Sg
Thanks for the Memories is the latest book by Cecelia Ahern, acclaimed author of bestseller PS I Love You as well as the youngest daughter of former Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern. The 28-year-old seems to have all going well for her: Her third novel, If You Could See Me Now, will be the second novel adaptation hitting the screens soon while her fourth novel, A Place Called Here, is to be made into a US TV series.

After a devastating miscarriage which also spells the last of her fast falling a
Sandra Grauschopf
I picked up this book because of the blurb on the back that said, "Cecelia Ahern is queen of the modern fairytale." I love fairytales, and I thought that a chick lit book with a fairytale feel would be awesome.

But it seems that whoever wrote that blurb has never actually read a fairytale, only knows that they have something to do with magic. Or something. And this book does have one incredibly unlikely magical element, which is already hard to buy into.

So you know that the hero and the heroine
Jamieson
After a horrible accident, Joyce Conway is trying to put her life back together.

Her life and her marriage are in pieces, but Joyce tries to get back to living a normal life, despite advice from others. But something is stopping her.

She keeps having dreams of a beautiful blond haired girl, of places she has never been. She knows things that she shouldn’t about art, about architecture. She sees a beautiful woman in her dreams.

Joyce sees and knows things she should not know. And it all started aft
Oria
If anybody asked me what three things I'd like to take with me on an island, I would say 2 books and a sunscreen lotion. I had two books with me on my trip to Koh Chang (Elephant Island), and one of them was Thanks for the Memories.

The reason I bought this book was P.S. I Love You, the movie. I just loved that movie (I must confess Gerard Butler helped a lot in that regard) and even though I haven’t read the book this movie was based on or any other book by this author for that matter, I decide
Marty
Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of this book. It took me a while to figure out what the problem was, because it's not that Ahern can't write. The prologue is beautifully written and sets up an intriguing mystery. Who is this woman? How pregnant is she? Has she lost the baby? How did she fall down the stairs? Who was on the phone?

I couldn't wait to get into the book and find out what happened. And then - I just didn't believe it. And I'm not even talking about the plot, as implausible as it is. (B
Farah
"So what's the point in saving someone's life if they don't even know you're the one who saved them?" (p. 396)

Justin Hitchcock.
Empat puluh tahun. Duda cerai dengan satu anak. Professor dalam bidang Art and Architecture. Sinis, sedikit egois, childish, bitter. Dengan semua masalah yang dihadapinya, pengalaman pertamanya dalam mendonorkan darah mengubah semuanya.

"How can you even die when you haven't even been born yet?" (p. 416)

"I want to be on my own to grieve. I want to feel sorry for myself wi
Jackie
This will be out in April 2009

Ahern, queen of the "soul mates will find each other" chic lit fairy tales, has another winner on her hands. There's always a bit of magic involved in her tales, but this one has the biggest dose yet. Protagonist Joyce takes a tumble down some stairs, losing her baby (and ultimately her marriage) and needing a blood transfusion. While still in the hospital, she discovers she has all sorts of new knowledge--architectural, artistic, historic, a grasp of languages--tha
Angie
This book sucked me right in from the riveting 3 page prologue, powerfully, painfully written. While the premise of the book is pretty out there and far-fetched, it was written so convincingly that I couldn't help but be drawn into the lives of the two main characters and found myself blasting through the book to see how it would end. When the characters' hearts were racing I found my own heart beating faster, too. With each missed connection I groaned and sighed in my mind. Reading this book wa ...more
Tracey  Gass
A bookclub choice that I was excited about reading after not reading a romantic novel for ages! I read the whole thing but the story was so unbelievable that I actually got so irritated with it but at the same time was being lightly entertained and had to finish it to see what happened in the end. When I was younger I used to devour these kinds of books and read one after the other but maybe my tastes have changed and I'm not such a romantic anymore?! (How sad!) I normally rate books well if I l ...more
Hafsa
Jul 31, 2009 Hafsa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone really
This is my first book by Cecelia Ahern, the author of P.S. I Love You (which she wrote when she was 21!) and co-creator of the ABC show "Samantha Who?"

This book was such a good book to read, it took me by surprise because I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. The story is well-paced, and has the elements of a thriller/suspense novel, in the sense that it is a page-turner and always leaves you asking, what happens next?

The real gem of the story is Ahern's prose. I was blown away at her
Inge
Thanks For the Memories is possibly one of the cutest books I have ever read. It is a typical work by Cecelia Ahern – a cute story laced with just a hint of magic. Absolutely unrealistic, but I don’t think anyone cares. You just enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

Justin Hitchcock is a divorced father and an Architecture teacher. He donates blood in order to sleep with the doctor and is a bit of a douche. His life turns completely upside-down when he keeps encountering a certain woman who he
Silvana
Obrigada pelas recordações foi o primeiro livro que li da autora Cecelia Ahern, desta forma parti para a leitura do livro sem expectativas criadas pela leitura de livros anteriores. É um livro com estória marcada por momentos de reflexão, momentos cómicos, momentos de romance, momentos de tristeza... É um livro que nos leva numa viagem pelas emoções do seu humano, mesmo aquelas que nos são estranhas e para as quais não obtemos nenhuma explicação.
Confesso que foi um livro que não me cativou no in
LindyLouMac

If I had read the book cover before deciding to read this I would probably never have started it, as it does say that this author is the queen of modern fairytale, the idea of which just does not appeal to me.
A strange tale of modern fantasy; which did not appeal to me very much. Although I did finish reading in the hope that it might have improved. It didn’t which was disappointing.
I found the story was spun out for far too long and it therefore became ra
Keri
Why Why Why do I continue to stick with books that I don't like????? I really thought this would turn around but it didn't. This just dragged on and on and on. It felt like it was never going to end and when it finally did, it wrapped up so fast I felt like I missed something. I wanted a light beach read but this was just 373 pages of dribble! I guess the good news is that I didn't buy the book. Found it in the book exchange at the resort we were staying in. I know why the owner didn't mind part ...more
Ailin Solis
Estoy un poco molesta conmigo, siempre cuando estaba a punto de leérmelo ponía excusas y me leía otros libros.

Thanks for the Memories trata sobre una chica llamada Joyce Conway que ha sufrido un terrible accidente donde pierde a su bebe y su matrimonio va destruyéndose, en su estadía en el hospital recibe una transfusión de sangre y desde ese momento ha adquirido conocimientos y recuerdos que no son suyos.

En otra parte tenemos a Justin Hitchcook que se ha divorciado y es invitado a una conferenc
twelvejan [Alexandria]
I love this one. Light-hearted, sweet, fast-paced. I mean that's all I need in my chick-lit. If you need a break, after reading like The Lord of the Rings, then this would be a good switch. But then again, if you're reading LOTR, I don't think you're into chick lits.
Randi
I love her writing style and found myself laughing out loud quite often with this book. It was a fast read and kept me interested through out. Could have easily have been a four or five star if the one scene I waited for had not been on the very last page. I felt like I was deprived of a great love story when it ended. I wanted more....much much more.
Martina ♥ Bookaholic
And was still a nice book with a bit fantasy and love. Though it tragged at some points it was still a nice book and easy to read.

Handlung:
Eine junge Frau verliert ihr Baby nach einem Sturz über die Treppen und bekommt aufgrund hohen Blutverlustes das Blut eines Architekten. Nach ihrem Aufenthalt im Krankenhaus ist ihre Ehe kurz vor der Scheidung und das Haus, in dem das Unglück passierte, wird verkauft, sodass sie wieder bei ihrem Vater einzieht. Nicht nur dass sie diese Schicksalsschläge verk
Marianna
Joyce lost her baby, but she was unhappy befote that. Now, after the accident she has to collect he pieces again and move on, but is hard. She goes back to her father´s house and starts again, but there are a lot of new things inside of her, she knows things she had no idea off, she speaks italian, she feels things and she remembers people and moments and she doesn´t know where they came from.
Justin is an invited teacher at Trinity College in Dublin, he´s divorced and he´s an art expert, he spea
Jhoie Saldua
"Thanks For The Memories","Cecilia Ahern","","review","Thanks for the Memories is one of the few books i never dare put down when i started it. the book is soooooo good at every aspect that it made me roll with laughter, look deeper into why people are always in a hurry with life (instead of sometimes just look and appreciate everything around them). it made me feel to want to spend more time with my mom, tell stories and laugh with her as to nobody knows how long we'll all be here on earth. mad ...more
Kawther
Anne
Feb 20, 2013 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: C. Ahern fans
So nachdem ich jetzt so viel Young Adult gelesen habe, brauchte ich mal eine kurze Pause davon und deswegen griff zu einem Buch von Cecelia Ahern. Da ich schon zwei Bücher von ihr gelesen habe, wusste ich ihn etwa auf was ich mich einlasse. Ein Buch fürs Herz. Und genau das habe ich bekommen. Das war wieder mal ein typisches Cecelia Ahern Buch, obwohl mir persönlich „PS Ich liebe dich“ und „Zeit deines Lebens“ etwas besser gefallen haben.
Hier geht es um Joyce, der das Schicksal nicht gerade gut
Nikki
Cecelia Ahern's intelligent romance novels have taken a turn toward "woo-woo" with the last few books, and this one continues that trend.

Justin Hitchcock, a Chicago art critic and professor, has moved to London to be near his daughter, who's studying ballet. This also puts him near his ex-wife and her new man. Two years after his divorce, he's still not completely over it. On a guest lecture trip to Dublin, he stumbles into a blood donation lecture and, although he's afraid of needles, does dona
Adam
Post Listen Review: There are much worse romance books out there than this one but I still didn't like this. The premise is that a blood transfusion gives a woman who is in a less than perfect marriage the memories of the blood donor. Of course the donor is a lonely divorcee who has forgotten all about love and needs to find the right woman to move on with his life. Blah, Blah blah.

Dumb premise? Check.
Two lonely protatganists? Check.
Lots of missed opportunities to meet each other but fate interv
Rachel Brand
I was worried that I was going to be disappointed with this book - especially as it was a Christmas present from my mum - as I didn't think there was anything special about Ahern's last book, "A Place Called Here." Thankfully, Ahern's writing has improved significantly. She definitely does chick-lit better than she does fantasy, and this book had lots of amusing chick-litty moments. I was literally laughing out loud sometimes, and am considering getting my book and typing up some of the funniest ...more
  • Before I Forget
  • A Friend of the Family
  • Making Your Mind Up
  • The Waitress
  • The Love of Her Life
  • Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City (Holly's Inbox #2)
  • Lessons in Heartbreak
  • Summer of Love
  • Further Under the Duvet
  • Yours Truly
Cecelia Ahern was born on September 30, 1981 in Dublin, Ireland. She is the daughter of the former Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. On 14th December 2009 it was announced that Cecelia had given birth to her first child with partner David Keoghan, a girl named Robin. She was secretly married on 11 June 2010 in County Kildare, Ireland. Her older sister, Georgina Ahern is married to Nicky Byrne of Irish ...more
More about Cecelia Ahern...
P.S. I Love You Love, Rosie If You Could See Me Now The Book of Tomorrow A Place Called Here

“We all get lost once in a while, sometimes by choice, sometimes due to forces beyond our control. When we learn what it is our soul needs to learn, the path presents itself. Sometimes we see the way out but wander further and deeper despite ourselves; the fear, the anger or the sadness preventing us returning. Sometimes we prefer to be lost and wandering, sometimes it's easier. Sometimes we find our own way out. But regardless, always, we are found.” 704 likes
“sometimes we need all the glue we can get, just to hold ourselves together.” 378 likes