Start by marking “Deviant Ways” as Want to Read:
Deviant Ways

Deviant Ways

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  357 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Punctuated with one blisteringly violent and unpredictable twist after another, this pitch-perfect study of psychological terror spotlights two magnificent minds opposed in a no-holds-barred duel of cunning and depravity. A master killer calling himself the Sandman is out for revenge. He's slaughtering not just one person at a time but whole families and whole neighborhood ...more
Published October 30th 2001 by Pocket Star Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Deviant Ways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deviant Ways

Marianne Stehr
Mar 01, 2014 Marianne Stehr rated it it was ok
This book introduced too many characters, had a spotty back story and seemed like it should have been a sequel to another book, but I don't believe it was. To me, it was too "all over the place" and lacked the continuity that a good thriller should. Additionally there was no mystery, the "killer" is identified, you have no idea who he is and has limited relationship with everyone and it apparently terrorizing a cop he doesn't know, hooks up with a different killer from what should have been a pr ...more
Joshua Allerton
Jul 16, 2014 Joshua Allerton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller and crime fans.
Deviant Ways is a fast-paced, action-packed thriller with loveable characters that play on your mind all day long.

The Opening Chapter

The opening chapter lured us in slowly to the book. Despite wanting a more immediate start, there was still enough interest to get the juices going. The use of stereotypes was acceptable as the foundation of character building.

Style and POV changes

Chris Mooney's combination of fantastic similes and metaphors created lovely (and gruesome at times) imagery that only
Eve Nolon
Aug 15, 2014 Eve Nolon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I am not sure what to say about this book, except that my reading of it was greatly influenced by my last Chris Mooney novel, THE SOUL COLLECTORS, which deals with many of the same characters. I'd wanted to read DEVIANT WAYS first because I knew that TSC was sort of a sequel to it, but it's not available in the USA except via Audible (now) and that's a very recent release. So what about the actual book? I am putting everything under a spoiler tag from here on out; spoilers for this book as well ...more
Ginny
Jan 23, 2012 Ginny rated it liked it
The first book I read by this author was "Remembering Sarah." I loved it and began reserving his earlier books. Deviant Ways was his first novel and he has grown as an author. I enjoyed this novel but at times had to suspend belief. I just didn't see how the bad guy could have pulled off all that he did and gotten away with it for so long. Still, this was an engrossing thriller that held my interest.
Donna
Jul 11, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Detective Jack Casey used to be an FBI profiler but now he's with the Marblehead police department north of Boston. Jack has mostly recovered from seeing his wife's throat cut right in front of him. Jack's experience is going to come in very handy on the 4th of July as an unknown person butchered an entire family. And this butcher seems to know everything about Jack. As the serial killer taunts Jack, he proceeds to plant cameras as well as bombs at all the crime scenes. As the body co ...more
Jenny Macdonald
Nov 15, 2014 Jenny Macdonald rated it liked it
Jack Casey used to be an FBI profiler until his job hit too close to home. Now, he's on the force in his hometown and a case raises it all again. There's a creepy serial bomber and an even creepier cast of characters who are working with Casey to solve this case.They term it a sexual/erotic book but it is anything but. This is about a serial killer who was created by a secret government project. He blows up buildings and people who were associated with the program. There is violence galore, but ...more
Gordon Jones
Apr 21, 2014 Gordon Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Tanja
Mar 07, 2016 Tanja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

I had read one of Mooney's books a couple of years back, which didn't stuck in my head as extraordinary, but this one, his debut (!) is absolutely amazing. I loved every single page of it, and it's an absolute page turner. I barely could put it away because it had that much suspense; you always sat there, wondering "When's the next thing happening?"

I think I'll keep reading his books now.
Jue
Jul 22, 2012 Jue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow, this is one hell of a clever thriller; I was hooked from the very first page and could not put it down. I freaked myself out reading this at bed time, so had to reduce the reading hours to day time only.!
Apart from Peter James, Chris Mooney certainly knows how to write and keep his readers hooked, its a novel that's filled with such believable characters, such vivid storytelling, with such breath taking intensity.
This is the story of the Sandman, a killer who knows your every thought,
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Jul 26, 2011 Mary Gilligan-Nolan rated it really liked it
I'm giving this one 4 stars, because it was a good thriller. I had just read "The Soul Collectors" and Jack Casey had featured in that one, so it was going backwards to read Deviant Ways. I should have read that one first. Casey is investigating the "Sandman" murders, a killer who kills families and then bombs their home, when the police arrive on the scene. Also, this is the one where Malcolm Fletcher first appears, he later appears again in the Soul Collectors. This explains the background in ...more
LovestoRead
Aug 20, 2015 LovestoRead rated it it was ok
Enjoyed his book "The Missing". This one was a huge disappointment. Entirely too long. Found myself doing a lot of skimming through. Too much info on explosives. If you like action movies and things blowing up you might like it, otherwise don't bother. Only reason for a 2 star rating is I liked some of the characters.
Krista
Oct 27, 2008 Krista rated it really liked it
I just re-read this book because I got in trouble for a kid taking it off of my desk a few years ago and I wanted to look at it again to see how inappropriate it really was. I was correct in my previous thoughts. They termed it a sexual/erotic book and it was anything but. This is about a serial killer who was created by a secret government project. He blows up buildings and people who were associated with the program. There is violence gallore, very little mention of sex (just one scence where ...more
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
This is book was recommended by a regular reader of this list. Thanks, Sherry! This is Mooney's first novel and it's a great start. Jack Casey used to be an FBI profiler until his job hit too close to home. Now, he's on the force in his hometown and a case raises it all again. There's a creepy serial bomber and an even creepier cast of characters who are working with Casey to solve this case. There were some rough edges and a few leaps of credibility but I'm thinking those were more symptoms of ...more
Nicole
Mar 06, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
OK. FBI research victim becomes revenge bomber.
Jordan Taylor
Jan 24, 2014 Jordan Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING
This thriller book was so captivating and honestly scared me at times. It was so hard to put down
Miriam Smith
Jun 16, 2016 Miriam Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, absolute page turner and couldn't put it down. Just love these type of books, I have read previous Chris Mooney novels and will continue to look for more. Would recommend.
A call is placed to say a family has been shot. Jack Casey (ex FBI) goes to investigate and realises there is a bomb in the house which is set off using a motion detector. When another crime is committed in a similar way and Jack starts receiving phone calls from The Sandman it gets personal especially when his girlfriend is threatened. I found I was slightly confused by whether some of the other characters in the book were out to kill Jack or support him.
Rebecca
Sep 21, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
This book was SO TENSE I felt like I couldn't breathe at some points. My main gripe was that it became quite repetitive with all the dangerous situations - I understand that the author put them in to make the villain seem more threatening but at the same time Jack would get into danger, then think that he should be more careful, then get into danger, then think that he needed to be careful...etc. However I did really enjoy it.
Jeremy David
Mar 29, 2014 Jeremy David rated it really liked it
One of the most extreme serial killers I have ever read about, and the chances of anyone being THAT good is near impossible. But it still came out as a very good thriller, and am intrigued by the Malcolm Fletcher character. Definitely in need of more adventures about him. As for this book, not a lot of complaints. Flowed fluidly. Grade: A-
Taภya
May 26, 2013 Taภya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great thriller really enjoyed it, lots of explosions Loved it.

My favorite saying in the book was,
"That's it, put it on the table, keep your hands there. Very good.
Now who else is here with you?"
"I'm here alone."
"I don't believe you."
"Tough shit."

That bit made me laugh, this book was well written,
i will definitely be reading more of Chris Mooney's books.
Pat
Mar 17, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
Decisions, decisions. A tormented cop and former FBI agent (Casey) is dragged into a terrifying game by a twisted killer. Casey often gets it wrong in his hunt for the psychopath and its painful but compelling to follow his tortuous progress. Very dark and tense, I couldn't put it down.

It must be time for a change to some lighter material.
Annastasia Sikel
May 06, 2014 Annastasia Sikel rated it did not like it
DNF. Hard to follow.
Carolyn
Apr 15, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it
I occasionally enjoy a book that is strictly good vs evil. This was a great example. I actually was leaning toward 5 stars but pulled back because what would that say about me...the title is Deviant Ways! Huge FBI cover-up and John Q. Citizen is pulled into a fight he doesn't want!
Dundee Library
Familiar elements crop up in this story -- a traumatized FBI profiler, a psychopath with novel methods, high-tech details -- but Mooney's focus on the characters and their interactions make this story rise above the run-of-the-mill serial killer chase.
Paul Parkin
Sep 07, 2013 Paul Parkin rated it really liked it
really great story and well written, keeping to the story rather than drifting with info that's not relevant. Not many Novels keep me reading till end without skipping or struggling to read on. This kept me entertained and wanting to finish book.
Yamna
LOVED every second, every word, every scene of it!!!
Amazing plot with a genius story line!! One of the best of 2014!!!
Although I wonder how it ended. Seemed like a bit of a cliffhanger. I'm confused!
Still, absolutely fantabulous!
Emma
Aug 20, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it
Having recently read all the Darby books and the new Malcom book I was excited about getting my copy of Deviant Ways (not available on kindle). I was not disappointed. Chris' writing grabs you from page one. It is an excellent read.
Felicitas
Mar 21, 2013 Felicitas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein packender und spannender Thriller. Mit jeder Seite steigt die Spannung und man fiebert mit der Geschichte mit. Ein wahnsinns Roman. Auch der Schreibstil ist gut zu lesen und der Geschichtsaufbau ist logisch und gut nachzuvollziehen.
Emma Walker
Jun 22, 2012 Emma Walker rated it did not like it
Had only read one other Chris Mooney previously which I had loved so was expecting big things but this was a real disappointment. The book fell apart on holiday and I should have taken that as a sign to move to something better.
Jaime
Jul 11, 2016 Jaime rated it liked it
This was merely average for me. Mooney didn’t make me particularly care about any of the characters or their welfare. I kept expecting a twist, like a mole who was helping the bad guy, but it never came.
So many characters..... 1 2 Aug 18, 2015 12:49AM
  • Fear Itself
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Watch Me
  • The Survivor (Jacob Striker, #1)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Precipice
  • Rush
  • Whisper In The Dark
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6 )
  • The Blood Detective
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Tap,Tap
  • Le Sixième sommeil
  • Midnight Rain
  • The Science of Mindfulness: A Research-Based Path to Well-Being
  • Pursuit
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
Chris Mooney is the critically acclaimed author of Deviant Ways, World Without End, and Remembering Sarah, which was nominated for the Barry Award and the Edgar Award for Best Novel. He lives in Boston with his wife and son.

Series:
* Darby McCormick
More about Chris Mooney...