Start by marking “The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)” as Want to Read:
The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)

The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,083 ratings  ·  173 reviews

Darby McCormack was in high school when she first encountered the killer: someone murdered a woman in the woods where Darby and her two best friends were partying. His race to silence the witnesses was sure-footed and violent - but som
Published March 20th 2007 by Atria Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Missing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing

I came, I read, I didn't quite conquer.

The novel kicked off with quite an action-packed first chapter which caught my attention from the start and only continued to progress at a good pace. I was sufficiently interested in the characters, the victims and the developments that would follow.

My issue was solely with the writing style which was clunky, unsubtle and patronising. I am quite capable of reading and making connections, therefore when authors feel like they need to spell everything out t
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Excellent start to a series. Darby is a MC that is likable as well as the rest of the cast of characters. 4.5 stars
I zoomed through this book in two days, only putting it down to go to sleep last night! It's a very fast read, with a storyline that really grabs and holds your attention. Also, the chapters are nice and short, which I appreciated; I often tend to feel bogged down when the chapters of a book are really long, so this was a refreshing change.

The Missing is the first in a series featuring Darby McCormick, crime-scene investigator with the Boston Police. The story begins with an apparent murder that
This was my first book by Chris Mooney but I will definitely look for others by him. His writing style reminds me much of James Patterson who I really enjoy. It was indeed a fast paced novel that kept me on the edge while I plowed my way thru it. At one point in the book, which I was reading in Zurich, Switzerland, I was somewhat spooked when my daughter-in-law came out of the bathroom...thinking that someone was coming into our bedroom...which we both laughed about shortly afterward.

The book s

I mostly liked it. It had fast-paced story telling. Since the villain was also written in the story (3rd person), it was nice to see how Darby and the other detectives were able to keep up with him. There was a couple of slight twists near the end ... I was able to guess one of them, but the other one was something I didn't see coming!

Unfortunately ... I felt detached to Darby as the main character throughout the book. She didn't engaged to me, the way that I expected to be when I read
Lee Cooper
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and totally recommend it. The pace moves fast and there are many twists and turns that make this story so good. I am now reading the next one book Dying for Christmas.
Lukasz Pruski
I found Chris Mooney’s “The Missing” a mediocre thriller. It is perhaps more of a crime-scene investigator procedural as efforts to find and interpret physical evidence play a major role in this novel. Towards the end it indeed turns into a thriller with many contrived “twists and turns”, which I intensely dislike because of their lack of credibility.

Darby McCormick, a Boston crime-scene investigator works on the case of a missing 16-year old girl. Soon she discovers that the case has connection
Darby McCormack witnessed a murder when she was in high school. The killer attempted to silence the witnesses but Darby survived. Twenty-five years later, a woman's abduction bears an uncanny likeness to that case. Darby is now a forensice investigator for the Boston Police Department and finds herself confronting the nightmare of her past in the present.

This story was pretty chilling for me and moved pretty swiftly. Darby is a skilled investigator and the forensic evidence was described in sim
Once you start reading mysteries, you can get bored pretty easily. I usually take long breaks between forays into this genre because I end up either cynically bored with the excess gore that writers come up with, or just plain bored because even a stray dog would be able to point out the killer by the first 50 pages but the main characters will just grin or mope around uselessly until the 'surprise' in the final chapters of the book.

The Missing does not fall into either of those categories.

Tracy Fenton
Take 1 feisty female CSI investigator with a dark background, add 1 (or 2) twisted serial killers, sprinkle with tonnes of gruesome deaths, add a twist towards the end and voilà... the perfect recipe for a brilliant new series of books. Thank you Chris Mooney I am now a huge fan!
The Missing
4 Stars

In 1984, three young girls witness an attack on a young woman in the woods and become the target of a serial killer. Only one , Darby McCormick, survives. Years later, Darby is a forensic investigator called to the scene of a teenage abduction. As the evidence piles up, Darby finds herself tracking a psychopathic serial killer known only as the Traveler and soon comes face-to-face with the terror from her nightmares.

A well-written, fast paced and intricate thrille
Mallory Heart
Another book I couldn’t put down-I wish I had had the time to read this at one sitting. I kept turning the pages so fast I’m surprised the book didn’t ignite. Chris Mooney is a wonderful author who juggles some mighty complex plots and a large number of characters, some on the good side, some on the almost purely evil, some straddling the moral fence, and keeps it all straight, revealing only piece by piece and never telegraphing.

Darcy McCormick spends her adult years as a forensic investigator,
ceritanya bagus
selalu di bikin penasaran sama halaman selanjutnya dan BOOM endingnya sangat tidak bisa di tebak

hanya saja mungkin untuk 2 pelaku utama sangat mudah ditebak.
overall Good story
Chris Mooney is an author I have wanted to read for a long time but for some reason I've just never got round to picking up one of his books. I then became a blogger, and a few weeks ago I realised that I was neglecting so many books that I wanted to read, and I want to try and get a balance of new reviews and reviews of older books on the blog. It's rather refreshing to read solely for enjoyment, rather than over thinking what I'm going to write and making notes while I read plus readers of my ...more
I've thoroughly enjoyed this author's previous thrillers - they're roller coaster rides similar to the books by Harlan Coben with enough twists and turns to keep you reading late into the night. In this book protagonist Darby McCormick has a close brush with a serial kidnapper/murderer during her teenage years. Now as an adult and a cop said villain is back in her life and Darby is tasked to bring him to justice. Not the most original plot but workable.

The flashback scenes with the adolescent D
I listened to the audiobook, so bear this in mind. So-so. The narrator's voice and intonation were a bit over the top for me so I had to constantly fight my irritation. I started this book months ago and I normally get through a book in a few days. In the last half of the book, I started getting into enough that the narrator didn't annoy me. I predicted the bad guy pretty early on in the book, but that is okay. What bothered me was how lame the confrotation was. (view spoiler) ...more
In this 2007 novel, Chris Mooney starts the book off with action and murder, then continues on with more and more serial killing. Darby McCormick was only 15 years old when she and two of her friends stumbled upon a murder. She has grown up to be a forensic investigator working toward her PhD. She is called to the scene of a young woman's abduction where she finds a woman dressed in rags under the porch. Her investigation is a race to find the serial killer known as the Traveler before he murder ...more
Yuli Pritania
Ini pertama kalinya saya ngasih 1 bintang buat novel thriller terjemahan. Entah karena terjemahannya yang emang kacau balau atau novelnya sendiri yang begitu. Ada banyak kesalahan pengetikan nama, karakternya ketuker-tuker, bikin yang baca jadi bingung. Belum lagi pemilihan kata yang tidak tepat, artinya jadi rancu. Dan ini banyak banget bertebaran di sepanjang novel. Saya bener-bener nggak bisa menikmati. Ceritanya sendiri juga biasa bgt buat ukuran thriller. Plus, pergantian settingnya kasar, ...more
The opening chapter was intriguing as were the next few. I then felt as though I was being drawn into a Halloween-type movie and wasn't liking it much. By chapter 6, however, things picked back up again into a different direction when a teenager goes missing.

The book has loads of characters; It will definitely help to note who's who in order to keep track especially of those who are key. Otherwise it's easy to become bogged down.

Those who are familiar with New England will definitely recognize
Deatra Branston
Jun 22, 2011 Deatra Branston rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Deatra by: My Best Friend who hasn't read it yet!
This book was AMAZING! It had me on pins and needles and I couldn't stop reading it. I read it when I was in junior college and did a book report on it. I got an 'A' whoot!
Carol Waters
The lead character is a textbook example of PTSD, a girl who was present during crime and then grew up to be a crime fighter who gets victimized.... you see this one coming full circle on about page ten. Some of the writing was tight and exciting, some was just sooooooo unlikely to have stepped off the scope of keeping it plausible. The ending pretty much sucked. (See how my writing ran downhill there?) I think Mooney got tired.

I am also tired of every female character going into the estrogen z
I adored this book which is the 1st in the Darby McCormack series. This book holds you in its grip for each chapter and will keep you awake at night.
Sehr enttäuschend, nachdem ich es nach den vielen guten Amazon-Reviews gekauft hatte.
Die Handlung ist zwar nicht schlecht, aber auch nichts besonderes - eine typische Ermittler-mit-unbewältigter-Vergangenheit-jagt-psyopathischen-Serienkiller-Story. Keine Überraschungen, alles schon mal woanders gelesen. Auch die Äuflösung, wer der geheimnisvolle Komplize des Killers ist, kommt am Ende wenig überraschend, da es a) nicht viele Figuren gab, die dafür in Frage kamen, und b) es auch so mit dem Zaunp
Kathleen Hagen
The Missing, by Chris Mooney, A-minus. Narrated by Bernadette Dunn, produced by Books on Tape, downloaded from

Darby McCormick and her two friends, Melanie and Stacy, sneaked away to the woods to drink beer in celebration of Melanie’s 16th birthday. They heard a woman screaming and begging for her life. They ran away, but left Darby’s backpack behind, which led the killer to identify her. The murderer comes after Darby, and manages to kill Stacy and kidnap Melanie, but Darby got away
Der Beginn dieses Buches ist wirklich gut und auch sehr vielversprechend. MAn erlebt mit der Protagonistin Darby ein schicksalhaftes Ereignis aus ihrer Jugend das leider 2 Opfer fordert.

Die Geschichte springt dann aber zu der erwachsenen Darby die mittlerweile beim kriminologischen Erkennungsdienst arbeitet und an einem besonders schwierigem Fall arbeitet.
Die Idee der Story ist nicht schlecht, aber auch kein besonderes Novum im Thriller-Genre - so bleibt auch die Spannungskurve bei diesem Buch e
First of all I have to say that I didn’t read this book, but listened to it in the German audio book version read by Iris Böhm.

I bought this book years ago but never listened to it, I’m glad I finally did.
“The Missing” is written in a fast pace. The plot is interesting and doesn’t get boring.
However, the story actually misses some depth to it. It doesn’t get boring because it’s fast-paced, but it doesn’t really create images in your head while reading it either.
The story is also not a very ori
Der Roman "Victim" von Chris Mooney handelt von der Polizistin Darby McCormick, die eine Entführung aufdecken soll und dabei auf nur weitere vermisste Frauen stößt.

Der Roman fing an wie eine Mischung aus Criminal Minds und CSI, wobei es mehr CSI war als Criminal Minds. Einige Teile der Geschichte fand ich vorhersehbar vorallem am Anfang. Aber ab der Mitte fing es an richtig spannend zu werden. Die Wendung am Ende kam überraschend.

Darby McCormick hat mir als Protagonistin gut gefallen. Als Leser
Blablabla Aleatório
Ganhei este exemplar da coleção policial da editora Suma de Letras há tempos, mas sempre enrolava para lê-lo e acabava passando outros livros na frente. Mas, esta semana resolvi deixar de enrolação e gostei muito da narrativa do Chris Mooney, ainda que seu texto não atinja o nível de morbidez e o tom sombrio que o Dennis Lehane (autor no qual ele se inspirou, segundo as palavras do próprio autor) consegue imprimir aos seus assassinos, sua narrativa é clara e a trama é tão bem construída que te d ...more
Da Hoepli
Thriller: Spettacolo cinematografico, televisivo, teatrale o narrazione di genere poliziesco o fantascientifico, che tiene avvinto il pubblico producendo tensione e suspense.
Horror: Genere letterario o cinematografico caratterizzato da situazioni e atmosfere atte a provocare nel lettore o nello spettatore sensazioni di paura, raccapriccio, disgusto.
Ogni volta che leggo un Thriller, almeno così è riportato nella descrizione di questo libro e nella sua copertina, devo andare a ricercarmi
  • The Girls He Adored
  • The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter, #1)
  • The Devil's Closet
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • Hades
  • The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street #1)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barret, #3)
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Mr. Clarinet (Max Mingus, #1)
  • Skin and Bone
  • The 50/50 Killer
  • The Surrogate (Brennan & Esposito, #1)
Chris Mooney is the critically acclaimed author of Deviant Ways, World Without End, and Remembering Sarah, which was nominated for the Barry Award and the Edgar Award for Best Novel. He lives in Boston with his wife and son.

* Darby McCormick
More about Chris Mooney...

Darby McCormick (5 books)
  • The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2)
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4)
  • Fear the Dark (Darby McCormick, #5)