Start by marking “Fresh Kills” as Want to Read:

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Fresh Kills
Published August 21st 2008 by Putnam Adult (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Kills

Alex
FRESH KILLS (Pub. 2008) by Bill Loehfelm was an interesting novel. I read this book because it won the Amazon Breakout Novel Award for 2008. By the end of the first page, you know you are in the hands of a strong writer. The author's prose style and voice are what I loved most about the book. The topnotch writing starts strong, and remains strong throughout the book.

The story is about a man in his thirties, who survived an abusive childhood at the hands of his belligerent father, and is now stru
Maureen Donohue
I have lived on Staten Island for over 50 yrs now. My children grew up here and we had a good life even though they have left Staten Island for other more interesting boroughs. I am a born and bred NYC person growing up in Manhattan and moving to Staten Island before the bridge was built. I was interested in this book because of its truthful depictions of many of Staten Island's areas and flaws but I found it bitter and the protagonist stupid and dissolute. His constant emphasis on everything wr ...more
Paul Pessolano
John Sanders, Jr.'s father is murdered in the first chapter in "Fresh Kills". We do not find out why and who until the next to the last chapter in the book. Great stuff, right?

As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast my friend".

All the pages in between these two events deal with a young man, John Jr. who is alcoholic and has a chip on his shoulder as big as a 2 by 4. The reader finds that he has been physically abused by his father from a very young age. His anger at just about everybody and everyth
D.K.
Fresh Kills is marketed as a crime mystery, but don't be fooled, it's really a story about John Sanders, Jr, a man trying to deal with his internal turmoil after the sudden death of his father. John Sr. was an abrusive man to his wife and mostly to his son. John Jr. is prone to angry outbursts, consuming a lot of alcohol, and blaming every bad thing in his life on his father. But with his dad murdered and being cheated of the final confrontation he'd always expect to have with him, Jr. has no on ...more
Pat
I saw this listed in a magazine and was intrigued by it's Staten Island setting (having lived there and being married to a Brooklyn born, Staten Islander myself). Admittedly, seeing so many familiar locations as a backdrop enhanced the story; but it's a story that would have been worthy of attention regardless of it's locale. Familiar themes of abuse, betrayal, redemption, broken relationships and dreams, are given a "fresh" perusal; I'll look forward to Bill's next book.
Nette
Am I getting harder to please? This book was wildly well-reviewed, and I didn't get it at all. I thought it was a clumsy mashup of sentimentality and hard boiled noire, with unrealistic dialog and a whiny main character. But the Staten Island atmosphere was very well done.
Melissa
Since this centers around an angry 30 yr-old white male, this isn't the easiest book to get through. But it's also about family disasters and loyalty, and learning to let the hardest things in life go. Worth it to get to the end.
Laura Ruetz
This is a murder mystery that really isn't. It is marketed as such but really, it has very little mystery and there is no thriller aspect. What you get is an angry, bitter and rather unlikable main character who had an equally unlikable father who was murdered. I expected a mystery and this fails to deliver. However, it is not a terrible book, it's just not one that delivers what you are expecting. While the angst and anger of the main character is understandable, it bogs down the storyline and ...more
Stephanie
Didn't care about any of these people. Couldn't go on.
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: John Sanders, Jr.
SETTING: Staten Island, New York
RATING: 3.5

There are few things sadder than seeing the hopes and dreams of a child crushed by growing up in a dysfunctional family where love and acceptance are in short supply. The ramifications of being emotionally and physically abused in one's youth are severe. The person may end up emotionally stunted themselves. In the case of John Sanders, Jr., his father's unrelenting abuse during his childhood has turned him into a bitter and
Katherine
This book annoys me. I know that the streets are Staten Island streets, I know that the locations are right, but he could not have the feel of this island more wrong. It's hard to read a book about where you're from when it doesn't sound anything like where you're from. If you're going to use a real place, do it right. No one could get shot here execution style without the whole island being in an outrage, people don't just get shot here. You can't smell the dump from anywhere unless you're righ ...more
Cate
May 12, 2009 Cate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: uno
Bob Wasserman
A little mixed on this one. The first 3rd was a bit intense, may just be out of my comfort zone. Some of the early SI references felt a little heavy and forced.

Then.......it evened out nicely, story developed well, the SI references made sense and helped move the story along and the progression and ending were quite satisfying.

Overall, I enjoyed revisiting the Staten Island of my youth in a well-written tale.

Hey, It's an Island - the places and experiences have been shared by many over the deca
Julie
Jan 09, 2010 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: Lish McBride
_Fresh Kills_ should come with a bottle of Jack Daniels and a nicotine patch, and smell of stale cigarettes. Lots and lots of smoking! So well described (or so often?) that you could almost imagine the scent.

I've never been to Staten Island, nor did I know much about it, so it was interesting to have a book set there with such detailed descriptions of the area. I didn't even know what Fresh Kills was (a garbage dump, for those not in the know).

John Sanders spends the majority of this book taking
Laren
Tim Hodges
I didn't know anything about this story or the author when I picked up this book, but I ended up liking it very much. It's a hard story that will run you through a range of emotions. Only a talented author can do that.
Jmolentin
Having spent time at the Fresh Kills beach, I just had to read it. Not bad, it gave the sense of place, time and the people you would find there.
Renee Pawlish
Ginnetta
Really 4.5 stars.
Fresh Kills is more about a journey to a past. A hard and sad childhood. As a reader, I felt a deep connection with the main character, John. He slowly pulled me into the story with a picture of how he felt and why. An interesting parable to the novel was the point of where a person mentally breaks down and gives up socially. Like a good metaphor, almost more important to an emotion as why someone else goes to the next extreme and murders. Also, I like the cover and title, intr
Kathy
Looked interesting when I was looking for books at the library to take on vacation. Not the psychological page turner I thought it would be. A drunken, rage filled man finds out that his father, a drunken, rage filled man who physically abused him, was murdered. Conflicted about how to feel, he turns to - surprise - drink and rage until he decides to overcome his hate and anger. It got tiresome, but the characters were pretty well drawn.
Jessica
When I say that the mystery is really beside the point here, that's not a knock - Loehfelm gets a lot of fresh and interesting mileage out of how a death can start more things than it ends. John Sanders's journey is richly believable and a very moving exploration of the conflicts that emerge from grieving someone that you never really liked.
Chris
Not a very exciting book. The author constantly uses pop culture references as a crutch to make the reader connect with the characters. It just gives you a feeling of the book being sponsored (Chapter 5 is brought to you by Starbucks). It's a quick read, but really just something to pass the time and not put any thought into.
Al
I really enjoyed this book - it was extremely well paced. Seems like a straight-up mystery/thriller, but there is a lot more to it. I think both men and women would appreciate it equally. I will definitely be on the hunt for his next book - I see that he now lives in New Orleans - I'd love to see his next book set there.
Mia
A very well rendered study of a character coming into a level of self-awareness that brings a particular world clearly and unsentimentally (and undisparagingly) into view. I know exactly who these people are. It's nice to see a frustrating but likable asshole become a little less of the last.
Melissa
loved it. not usually a fan of male writers. i have fallen into the chick lit category. but loved it. loved the story. loved the ending.
lvoed that i knew insider information about staten island.
loved the staten island backdrop.
very enjoyable.
look forward to blood root.
Melissa
I loved this book. It moves quickly but only encompasses a week's time. Leohfelm really explores the main character's relationship with his father, and you feel as though you're going through and feeling the same emotions. Great read.
Susan Chamberlain
I waited a long time to read this novel and felt sadly let down. I wanted to rage against the protagonist, son of a violent alcoholic who was blindly following his dad's footsteps. A wildly unexpected ending, though.
Cheryl
This one looks like a mystery/thriller, and while there is a death and quite a few thrills, it is really the story of a late coming of age. A very hopeful ending from a very tough beginning.
Steve Tornello
Not very good at all. I just wish he'd had a little more fun with my hometown, and didn't just wrap a cliched storyline around an interesting setting he didn't really explore.
Daniel
Stopped reading halfway through..thought it would get better..it did not not. Main character was unlikeable and predictable. Don't waste your time.
  • The Black Camel (Charlie Chan, #4)
  • Dead to Writes
  • The Damage Done
  • Saturday's Child (Cal Innes, #1)
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • Red Hook (Jack Leightner, #1)
  • The Real Cool Killers (Harlem Cycle, #2)
  • The Little Sleep (Mark Genevich, #1)
  • Mai Tai One On (A Tiki Goddess Mystery, #1)
  • The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #9)
  • The Great American Bathroom Book
  • Babylon Rolling
  • Slow Motion Riot
  • Five Days in Summer
  • Jackpot (Tony Valentine #8)
  • More of This World or Maybe Another
  • The Amnesiac
  • What it Was
Advance praise for DOING THE DEVIL'S WORK, out January 6, 2015.

"As he’s shown in the earlier installments in this series, Loehfelm has a real feel for capturing the nearly impenetrable culture of the NOPD . . . As impressive as his ability to evoke a sense of place is Loehfelm’s creation of a lead character of such remarkable depth and complexity. Equal parts toughness, vulnerability, naïveté, and
More about Bill Loehfelm...
The Devil She Knows The Devil in Her Way: A Novel Bloodroot Doing the Devil's Work: A Novel L'Antre du mal (Belfond Noir)