Crisis On Centaurus (Star Trek)

Crisis On Centaurus (Star Trek: The Original Series #28)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Massive computer malfunctions are plaguing the Enterprise™ when Kirk suddenly receives a shocking message from Star Fleet Command: Centaurus has been bombed and annihilated; thousands are dead. Give whatever help you can. Centaurus is a beautiful, peaceful planet, home to many humans -- including McCoy's daughter Joanna.
The crew risks beaming down to investigate. But Kir...more
Published (first published March 1st 1986)

Mary JL
Apr 03, 2010 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans; science fiction fans also
Recommended to Mary JL by: Long time fan of Star Trek
I do not read Star Trek as often as I used to. However, every now and then I pick one up. In the case of Crisis on Centaurus, that was fortunate.

It is a good, solid three star rating. It fits nicely into the Star Trek Universe.

I particularly liked that all the characters--Sulu, Chekhov, Uhurua, McCoy had significant parts to play. Some Trek books are all Kirk and
Spock and nobody else. Mr. Ferguson avoids this. Admittedly, in a few cases, I disagreed with a particular portrayal of a character--...more
Joel Kirk
Brad Ferguson's “Crisis on Centaurus” is a decent entry in the Pocket Books line of Star Trek tie-in novels. As is usually mentioned by reviewers of Trek novels: They are hit-or-miss - usually a miss. This book actually falls in between the middle.

While this novel is not mind-blowing, it’s good for a one-time read (maaaybe a second read). This book was simple – in a good way – and not bogged down by technobabble as if the author wanted to showcase his or her knowledge of science, or showcase how...more
Dale
A pleasant enough read but at times it was just 'off'

The premise of Crisis on Centaurus is that the colony Centaurus is bombed by a terrorist group and approximately 1 million victims die. The planetary government is in a shambles and the Enterprise is dispatched to aid in whatever way possible. However, Enterprise is having a series of computer failures and is not up to full capacity so things get tricky for Kirk and the crew.

Ferguson has written an adequate Star Trek novel - his main characte...more
Scott Williams
The story here is entertaining enough. Some of the science is off and I found that distracting. I was also pulled out by discussions of economics which were contrary to what is known of Star Trek's 23rd century universe. I also object to the idea of human terrorists with a racist doctrine. This would not happen in Roddenberry's universe.
Lori
From the Reamer collection:
This was my first Star Trek novel. I felt a little subconscious when I read it in public. I would not survive any series of Star Trek questions. I am a novice.
I took it to breakfast. The server saw it immediately and said "That's my favorite book." I looked at her, trying to judge if she was teasing me. Before I could decide I asked her if she was kidding. She looked dejected and said, "No, no, I'm not kidding" and walked away. I felt kind of bad about questioning her...more
Stephen
This is one of my favorite Star Trek novels. Crises on Centaurus is a fairly dark book that deals with a terrorist group’s use of an anti-matter weapon on a Federation world. The book also flashes back to the original meeting of Captain Kirk and his ever-valuable sidekick Dr. McCoy. Crises on Centaurus is a great Star Trek novel. A must read for any fan of the series.
Heather Domin
3.5 stars. This is another one where the cover blurb doesn't quite match the story - yes, Joanna McCoy is a big part of the plot, but she's not the main plot. The real story is a political intrigue hinged around terrorism, capital punishment, and local versus federal authority. Not exactly my choice of entertainment (especially these days), but it was a good story well told.
Rich Meyer
This is easily one of the best Star Trek novels of any of the various series. A lot of great action, characterization, and a story line worthy of one of the movies. Brad Ferguson gives you a slice of the personal history of Kirk and McCoy, and brings on board a few new characters to solve a timely dilemma. Highly recommended!
Chantel
Not bad! Unique little story where you get to learn a bit more personally the Dr. & the Captain.
I think his 'theory' at the end is interesting as well (what caused all the malfunctions).
All in all, a fun little read. :)
Cris
Overall, it reads much like a decently written episode of the show. It's a little thin on characterization, but that's my only real complaint.
Travis
Interesting in it's attempt to build up a back story for Dr. McCoy, but only a so-so' story.

Benjamin Plume
Average TOS book, which makes it slightly below average sci fi.
Marika
Marika marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Kate Thompson
Kate Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
James Scott
James Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Ghost-Walker
  • The Disinherited
  • Shadow Lord
  • Dreadnought! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #1)
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
A Flag Full of Stars (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #2) The Last Stand (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #37) The Haunted Starship World Next Door Kinkajou