Start by marking “Crisis on Centaurus” as Want to Read:
Crisis on Centaurus

Crisis on Centaurus (Star Trek: The Original Series #28)

Massive computer malfunctions are plaguing the Enterprise™ when Kirk suddenly receives a shocking message from Star Fleet Command: Centaurus has been bombed and annihilated; thousands are dead. Give whatever help you can. Centaurus is a beautiful, peaceful planet, home to many humans -- including McCoy's daughter Joanna.
The crew risks beaming down to investigate. But Kir
256 pages
Published (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Crisis on Centaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crisis on Centaurus

Mary JL
Jun 02, 2009 Mary JL rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans; science fiction fans also
Recommended to Mary JL by: Long time fan of Star Trek
I do not read Star Trek as often as I used to. However, every now and then I pick one up. In the case of Crisis on Centaurus, that was fortunate.

It is a good, solid three star rating. It fits nicely into the Star Trek Universe.

I particularly liked that all the characters--Sulu, Chekhov, Uhurua, McCoy had significant parts to play. Some Trek books are all Kirk and
Spock and nobody else. Mr. Ferguson avoids this. Admittedly, in a few cases, I disagreed with a particular portrayal of a character--
Jerry
Jan 21, 2017 Jerry rated it really liked it
A great space opera adventure.
Joel Kirk
Jun 27, 2014 Joel Kirk rated it it was ok
Brad Ferguson's “Crisis on Centaurus” is a decent entry in the Pocket Books line of Star Trek tie-in novels. As is usually mentioned by reviewers of Trek novels: They are hit-or-miss - usually a miss. This book actually falls in between the middle.

While this novel is not mind-blowing, it’s good for a one-time read (maaaybe a second read). This book was simple – in a good way – and not bogged down by technobabble as if the author wanted to showcase his or her knowledge of science, or showcase how
Röbert Fenske
Mar 15, 2015 Röbert Fenske rated it it was ok
I think Brad Ferguson is a good sic-fi writer, I could feel some influences from very old classic sic-fi novels while reading this. The name of locations, some of the technology, and the descriptions would fit in perfectly with sci-fi pulp stories. On this fact alone, I won't rate it one star.

But that doesn't mean it was a good Trek book. Throughout the book were several contradictions to the show and other moments that just didn't fit well within the Trek genre.

Star Trek has taken many opportu
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 27, 2014 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
It's a very pleasant read, but not as all-conquering as it could be. It's simply too short, especially considering you have not one, but two competing plot lines (three, if you count Joanna McCoy), that could headline equally long books on their own. As they stand, the two plots are annoyingly mutually exclusive, and the disaster plot line is brought to a conclusion with such sudden swiftness that my head was spinning. Only the author's lovely command of the Enterprise crew keeps it all together ...more
Jesse A
Mar 27, 2015 Jesse A rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Engaging story. Loses 1 star for the addition of money to the ST universe. No, just no.
Lee
Feb 26, 2017 Lee rated it liked it
I remember liking this one the first time. Second time around, ~30 years later, it was OK. The mass-murder incident that kicked it off had a different feel, since it's now the Age of Terrorism and not the Cold War.

I picked this one off the shelf, partly because of a line in the back-cover blurb, that Lt. Uhura was left in command of the Enterprise. She was, and some time was spent looking at her time in the command chair, but it didn't seem especially deep. I wonder if having it called out on th
Mike Crate
Jun 02, 2016 Mike Crate rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Crisis on Centaurus is a strange beast, there is a lot of the novel that is Star Trek but quite a bit that feels out of the place given what we understood the Federation to be at the time of the original series. In that respect I always felt like I was reading a scifi book that just happened to have the original series Trek characters within but that aside it's fine but maybe not what you would be expecting. Perhaps in the early days of the Pocket Books there was room for far more variety and in ...more
Dale
Jan 13, 2012 Dale rated it it was ok
A pleasant enough read but at times it was just 'off'

The premise of Crisis on Centaurus is that the colony Centaurus is bombed by a terrorist group and approximately 1 million victims die. The planetary government is in a shambles and the Enterprise is dispatched to aid in whatever way possible. However, Enterprise is having a series of computer failures and is not up to full capacity so things get tricky for Kirk and the crew.

Ferguson has written an adequate Star Trek novel - his main character
Tamara
Star Trek novels are always a comforting thing for me. I know who the characters are, I know more or less what to expect, and I know the world in which they live in. I mean I COULD just rewatch the TV shows, but I don't have that much time to do that - too many new shows to watch ya feel me??? - and I'd rather read about my favourites experiencing NEW adventures! So that's why I will always come back to these tie ins.

This one in particular is my weakness because it's about McCoy and his daughte
Lori
Aug 04, 2008 Lori rated it liked it
From the Reamer collection:
This was my first Star Trek novel. I felt a little subconscious when I read it in public. I would not survive any series of Star Trek questions. I am a novice.
I took it to breakfast. The server saw it immediately and said "That's my favorite book." I looked at her, trying to judge if she was teasing me. Before I could decide I asked her if she was kidding. She looked dejected and said, "No, no, I'm not kidding" and walked away. I felt kind of bad about questioning her
Menion
Dec 04, 2016 Menion rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, star-trek
It's all right-nothing spectacular, like many of the Star Trek books. Good enough to kill a few hours. That's the fun thing about reading this series-you do get a decent chunk of mediocre to good ones, which makes it so much more fun when you hit the really good ones. Plot is simple enough-Enterprise is in rough shape due to unknown malfunction, but still has to rush to the aid of a planet that just had a terrorist attack with an antimatter bomb, plus the planet's defense system has gone haywire ...more
Lee Goldin
Jul 31, 2016 Lee Goldin rated it liked it
Servicable Trek novel is a "planet of the week" adventure rather than a universe-shaking epic but the story is oddly prescient and there are some interesting details about Kirk's personal life and his friendship with Doctor McCoy and his daughter Joanna. There are a few anachronisms and continuity issues that may bother Trekkers but that's to be expected from novels like this that were written before the Trek universe was fleshed out in the 1990s.
Heather Domin
May 16, 2011 Heather Domin rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-books
3.5 stars. This is another one where the cover blurb doesn't quite match the story - yes, Joanna McCoy is a big part of the plot, but she's not the main plot. The real story is a political intrigue hinged around terrorism, capital punishment, and local versus federal authority. Not exactly my choice of entertainment (especially these days), but it was a good story well told.
Stephen
Mar 31, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite Star Trek novels. Crises on Centaurus is a fairly dark book that deals with a terrorist group’s use of an anti-matter weapon on a Federation world. The book also flashes back to the original meeting of Captain Kirk and his ever-valuable sidekick Dr. McCoy. Crises on Centaurus is a great Star Trek novel. A must read for any fan of the series.
Rich Meyer
Jul 02, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
This is easily one of the best Star Trek novels of any of the various series. A lot of great action, characterization, and a story line worthy of one of the movies. Brad Ferguson gives you a slice of the personal history of Kirk and McCoy, and brings on board a few new characters to solve a timely dilemma. Highly recommended!
Scott Williams
May 27, 2014 Scott Williams rated it liked it
The story here is entertaining enough. Some of the science is off and I found that distracting. I was also pulled out by discussions of economics which were contrary to what is known of Star Trek's 23rd century universe. I also object to the idea of human terrorists with a racist doctrine. This would not happen in Roddenberry's universe.
Chantel
Jul 04, 2013 Chantel rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Not bad! Unique little story where you get to learn a bit more personally the Dr. & the Captain.
I think his 'theory' at the end is interesting as well (what caused all the malfunctions).
All in all, a fun little read. :)
Kristina
Nov 18, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
Quite emotional as, unlike a lot of adventures, the devastation hits close to home. Although not a complex tale I enjoyed this one for the expanding of the usual characters roles. Kirk is off ship, Spock is negotiating emotions, McCoy is drowning his in work and Uhura finally has the conn.
Travis
Jan 24, 2010 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Interesting in it's attempt to build up a back story for Dr. McCoy, but only a so-so' story.

Benjamin Plume
Average TOS book, which makes it slightly below average sci fi.
colleen
read 03.20.86
Craig Tyler
Mar 16, 2016 Craig Tyler rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book was certainly setup as an episode or a movie without any intention of continuing story, however the author did add to the canon of two main characters, that of Kirk and McCoy.
Cris
Overall, it reads much like a decently written episode of the show. It's a little thin on characterization, but that's my only real complaint.
Cf Bowers
Cf Bowers rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Nerys Kianna
Nerys Kianna rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Sydney
Sydney rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Spencer Woolley
Spencer Woolley rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
  • Mutiny on the Enterprise
  • Three Minute Universe
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • Corona
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • The Rift
  • Web of the Romulans
Brad Ferguson (born 1953) is an American science fiction author.

He worked as a writer, editor and producer for CBS in New York, and is the author of a number of Star Trek tie-in novels, several short stories, and the post-holocaust novel The World Next Door.

He is married to scientist Kathi Ferguson, with whom he collaborated on one novel.
More about Brad Ferguson...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire