Start by marking “Star Trek: The Original Series #24: Killing Time” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: The Original Series #24: Killing Time

Star Trek: The Original Series #24: Killing Time (Star Trek: The Original Series #24)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  496 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Second History: a Romulan time-tampering project that has transported the Enterprise and the galaxy into an alternate dimension of reality. Now, Kirk is an embittered young ensign and Spock is a beseiged Starship commander. Lured into a Romulan trap, Captain Spock and Ensign Kirk must free themselves from both their captors and their own altered selves...before the galaxy ...more
Unbound, 0 pages
Published September 22nd 2000 by Pocket Books (first published July 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1988:]. Now why does Ms. Van Hise's name sound so gosh-darn familiar? I have the feeling that she has written far more inflammatory stuff than this mild and rather interesting tale of time-travel/alternate universe. Because of time-tampering by the Romulans, the crew of the Enterprise find themselves haunted by dreams (shades of Strangers From the Sky) and then slip into an entirely different universe where Spock commands the ship and Kirk is a lowly and embittered ensi ...more
Bludhaven
The Star Trek novel that had to be edited for slashiness. So if you want to read it for good old K/S make sure you get the 1985 edition. Other editions have the physical contact and some of the subtextier lines edited out.

The basic plot is a screwed up time line that was created to Romulan time travelling experiments. An alternative universe was created where Spock commands the Enterprise and Kirk is a ensign with troubling history. The characters dream echos of their lives as they are supposed
Juliana
VISIBLE SUBTEXT.
Rebecca
Aug 06, 2014 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tonks, who still hasn't actually read it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Tonks, who's always the first to know about these things
Having barely made a dent in the TOS tie-in materials (I only started watching the show a little over a year ago), I was drawn to read this book out-of-sequence by its reputation. I was amused and intrigued by its almost urban legendary status as the Kirk/Spock slash fiction story that actually got a brief publication run as an official tie-in novel, so I made sure to get a hold of the PDF of the "uncensored" first edition.

My verdict as to its aforementioned reputation: yes, there is some signif
Natasha
This book was actually one of the best Star Trek books I have read so far. (About 20 or so) The beginning was kind of corny, before the alternate universe takes over, but from then on it's a blast. There's enough action to keep the story moving, with enough character interaction to keep me extremely happy.

I enjoy a good Spock/Kirk FRIENDSHIP story, and that's what this brought. Although some might argue this could be viewed as slash, (meaning homosexuality) I don't view it that way. The book was
Daniel Kukwa
It's very intense, in terms of characterization, and it does best when it's exploring the Enterprise crew trying to figure out why their new parallel universe is insanely wrong. But this is also a book that tends to hammer home its points -- both large and small -- with a sledgehammer. The Kirk/Spock relationship is extra intense...and I can see where the original, infamous pulped version of this novel was heading. Frankly, it isn't necessary...and the author could have dialed back the emotional ...more
Lisa
I'm seeing all the four and five star reviews for this book and wondering what I'm missing. The characters are so out of sync with what could be considered cannon that the author should have just taken the final step and changed their names. The 'plot' was laughable, not only because of the ridiculous holes that filled it, the subtext was so purple it was bruised (seriously, go all the way, or don't go at all), and the ending had me rolling my eyes and gritting my teeth.

And come on--medicinal m
Julie
This had been one of my favorites since I'm a big fan of alternate universes, but... okay, this is way overwrought. WAY overwrought. I enjoy a good drama-fest, but wow. WAY overwrought. Did I mention it's overwrought? It's overwrought. And why didn't I ever see the glaring homoerotic subtext before? I have lost my innocence!
Annie
Ah, the elusive Killing Time. Bless the person who typed the whole first edition onto a PDF.

The writing is extremely amateurish and I've read much better fanfiction, there's no question. I could go and list the details about where her writing fell short, but it would take too long and I think you all know the kind of mediocrity I'm talking about.

But rating this three stars feels right. The premise was actually enjoyable and interesting, and the Romulans make any story fabulous.

And of course I
[Placeholder review of sorts]
...I evidently didn't find this book memorable, because I just barely remembered enough to figure out that I did read it previously. So I shall have to re-read and then review. And now that I've seen the 2009 movie, I'll have to figure out whether it's anywhere as similar to that in plot as it sounds.
(Actually one of the few things that confirmed I'd read all the way through was the Romulan with Spock, and I remember feeling about this like I did the Weatherwax/Cutan
Stephie
i'm going to be honest. i read this solely based off the reviews saying it basically read as slash fic. i know, i have a sick problem. unfortunately, i read a more recent publication (meaning the ultra obvious homoerotic tones were taken out). still though, it was evident enough. and enjoyable enough. though the transition (or lack thereof) between first and second history was a bit confusing and i found myself sympathizing with the second history crew more. maybe that was the point.
either way,
Jack Byrne
A cleverly told story in the Star Trek world. If you can get hold of the unexpurgated original edition with the embossed cover, do so!
Molly Hardee
I cannot even express how impressed I was with the story in this ST novel!! It was so original and somehow still kept MOST of the characters canon. Of course, as a fan of K/S, this book was a lovely display of Kirk and Spock's undying friendship/love and it really was touching! Pretty awesome writing, maybe my only complaint is that it read a little bit like a fanfic in some parts and a few typos that we're apparently missed in editing! Otherwise.. Very entertaining read!!
Chantel
I don't know WHY I didn't initially want to read this book, but I randomly read pages before bed until I was hooked. Didn't take long to get into it & now I have to say it's almost one of my favorites. There were a few things that bothered me, but not enough to only give it 4 stars. Good stuff! :D
Charles
An alternate history Star Trek. I really loved Mirror Mirror, the alternate Star Trek Universe in the original series and so I was primed for another such adventure. Pretty enjoyable, even if it isn't quite the Kirk and Spock we know and love.
Travis
One of the better 'let's mess with history' Trek stories. The Romulons have altered time, so now the Vulcans run the Federation, and Captain Spock, trying to deal with an embittered ensign Kirk is caught up in events.
Vinnie
I love the effects of the time ripple. I've developed a routine of the thought process of the Romulans and the arguments between them about what could possibly go wrong with their brilliant plan.
Claudia Nguyen
it's not that good? although it does have it moments some parts just feel a little too cheesy for me
anyhow I like the idea and the way the story revealed its plots and bits
Evamaria
In celebration of the new Star Trek movie (A+ from me!) I'm re-reading one of my favorite old-school Star Trek novels dealing with alternate realities.
Julie *Friday's Child*
I didn't really understand some of it, but I loved it. It felt like a continuation of Ishmael somewhat - like an alternative ending. Great finale too.
Rebecca
An engaging and fun novel that really captures the feel of the original series.
Felicia
Actually, very good. Interesting characters, interesting plot and compelling.
Wetdryvac
Mostly caught up in, "Wait, that's not quite lining up," But decent fluff.
Emilyf11
This was a fantastic time altered adventure.
Harold
A very original idea! Enjoyed this!
Emily Michelle
honestly not even that gay
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
  • Legacy
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Mindshadow
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • Crossroad
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Black Fire
  • Chain of Attack
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • Timetrap
  • Sanctuary
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Uhura's Song
  • Shell Game
  • Mudd in Your Eye
Della Van Hise is a native of Florida, transplanted to California at the age of 21, who has subsequently sunk her roots into the high desert near Joshua Tree National Park. She has not personally seen any aliens since around 1992, but there is rumored to be a secret UFO base underneath her house.

Della's writing started around age 11, when she would bang out some of the very earliest "fan fiction"
More about Della Van Hise...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
Quantum Shaman: Diary of a Nagual Woman Ragged Angels Conjuring the Vampyre Coyote Year of the RAM