Losing Your Parents, Finding Yourself: The Defining Turning Point of Adult Life

Losing Your Parents, Finding Yourself: The Defining Turning Point of Adult Life

2.85 of 5 stars 2.85  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  7 reviews
An eloquent book that explores the impact on one's life of losing a parent as an adult, and the effect it has on families, careers, and friendships--now in paperback.

Losing a parent is an event that happens, sooner or later, to nearly everyone. Yet seldom has the impact of parental death on the identities of adult offspring been examined. This book fills that gap. Backed b...more
Published April 25th 2001 by Hyperion (first published March 1st 2000)

Denis
I didn't share the author's experience of finding it liberating when my parent died. Ms. Secunda's experience of realizing when her parent passed, that the author had been unaware that she felt stifled in some ways by her parent. So she was able to blossom upon her parents' passing.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but my point is that unless you have a similar relationship with your deceased parent (feel held back by your overbearing parent), this book won't be helpful to you.

I don't mean to critic...more
Cathy
My son gave me this after my father died. This is a book which recounts dozens of other folks' experiences with losing their parents. Happens everyday to someone, somewhere and yet when it happens to you it can be monumentally life changing. I was completely unprepared for how desolate I would feel so am glad for the wisdom of others who've been through it.
Sue
It's interesting for those of us who find ourselves at this point in our lives. The author reprints the survey upon which she based her results in the back of the book, so there's an opportunity for personal reflection and comparison if the reader so chooses.
Tesser White
Very well thought out & well written. Good food for thought on becoming your own person after your parents die!
Cameron
May 27, 2008 Cameron marked it as to-read
Recommended by a good friend after she learned about the death of my father in law.
Michelle
Good, for what it is. I'd love to finish it someday. Maybe.
Jean Brazil
Study of how people react to death of parents.
Gerry
Gerry marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Marnetta
Marnetta is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Karen Campos
Karen Campos marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Helen
Helen added it
Dec 26, 2013
Brandon Cahall
Brandon Cahall marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Susan Valentino
Susan Valentino is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2013
Mishelle
Mishelle marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2013
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 20, 2013
Avery
Avery marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2012
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2012
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2011
When You and Your Mother Can't Be Friends: Resolving the Most Complicated Relationship of Your Life Women  and Their Fathers: The Sexual  and Romantic Impact of the  First Man in Your Life When Madness Comes Home: Help and Hope for Families of the Mentally Ill By Youth Possessed