Start by marking “Losing Your Parents, Finding Yourself: The Defining Turning Point of Adult Life” as Want to Read:
Losing Your Parents, Finding Yourself: The Defining Turning Point of Adult Life

Losing Your Parents, Finding Yourself: The Defining Turning Point of Adult Life

3.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
An eloquent book that explores the impact on one's life of losing a parent as an adult, and the effect it has on families, careers, and friendships--now in paperback.

Losing a parent is an event that happens, sooner or later, to nearly everyone. Yet seldom has the impact of parental death on the identities of adult offspring been examined. This book fills that gap. Backed b
Published April 25th 2001 by Hachette Books (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Losing Your Parents, Finding Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing Your Parents, Finding Yourself

Judi
Feb 01, 2015 Judi rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was helpful to me. I read it six months after my father died. My mom had died five years before. It was comforting that there was a book about the subject. (There are others.)
Denis
Dec 05, 2010 Denis rated it it was ok
I didn't share the author's experience of finding it liberating when my parent died. Ms. Secunda's experience of realizing when her parent passed, that the author had been unaware that she felt stifled in some ways by her parent. So she was able to blossom upon her parents' passing.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but my point is that unless you have a similar relationship with your deceased parent (feel held back by your overbearing parent), this book won't be helpful to you.

I don't mean to critic
Cathy
Jul 20, 2010 Cathy rated it liked it
My son gave me this after my father died. This is a book which recounts dozens of other folks' experiences with losing their parents. Happens everyday to someone, somewhere and yet when it happens to you it can be monumentally life changing. I was completely unprepared for how desolate I would feel so am glad for the wisdom of others who've been through it.
Sue
Feb 04, 2011 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's interesting for those of us who find ourselves at this point in our lives. The author reprints the survey upon which she based her results in the back of the book, so there's an opportunity for personal reflection and comparison if the reader so chooses.
Toyka
You can't read this the first 12 to 18 months following your loss; however, beyond that point this book will greatly contribute to bringing you out of that seemingly impossible to escape pit known as grief.
Tesser White
Jul 04, 2013 Tesser White rated it liked it
Very well thought out & well written. Good food for thought on becoming your own person after your parents die!
Cameron
May 27, 2008 Cameron marked it as to-read
Recommended by a good friend after she learned about the death of my father in law.
Michelle
Aug 09, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: started-stopped
Good, for what it is. I'd love to finish it someday. Maybe.
Jean Brazil
May 01, 2013 Jean Brazil rated it it was ok
Study of how people react to death of parents.
Victoria Pike
Victoria Pike marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Sarah is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2016
Debbie Robinson
Debbie Robinson marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Wisdom
Wisdom added it
May 22, 2016
Dessy JP
Dessy JP marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
FSN
FSN added it
Apr 21, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Raquel Dotson
Raquel Dotson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Lorrie
Lorrie rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Jackie Warriner
Jackie Warriner rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Kat Reed
Kat Reed rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Susan Bishop
Susan Bishop marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Erin Brothers
Erin Brothers marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015