Deathbringer

Deathbringer

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Hannah Starke was the first to die. And the first to come back. In the small town of Dandridge they all come back. The buried claw their way out of their graves. The recently killed get up and kill. As the dead attack the living, the number of the dead continues to grow. And the odds against the living get worse and worse.

In the middle of it all stands a dark, shadowy fig...more
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published March 1st 2006 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Deathbringer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deathbringer

MK (Food actvist)
Feb 10, 2009 MK (Food actvist) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: zombie horror
Recommended to MK (Food actvist) by: review by GR friend Trevor, author Brian Keene
The swift pacing and interesting telling gave this zombie invasion a fresh take. I like the Deathbringer and how it affected the inhabitants of Dandridge. Even bloodthirsty and crazed with homicidal violence, the characters were likable. If you understood their single-minded mission that is.
Kasia S.
Imagine a sunny carefree day with things going peachy when suddenly you are dropped in the middle of violence and murder, sprinkle in some zombie like flesh craving victims that don't want to stay down, a creepy hooded guy traveling with a mysterious book, a gang of young people and some bad deceptive characters and you have a crazy romp through the night that doesn't want to leave you in peace... this was a whacky horror book, bit too silly in some parts where magic was concerned but intriguing...more
•Erin• (Paperback Stash)
First, the positive stuff. The book was easy to get into. Writing is simple and easily adapted to as the reader is dragged through the messy, gory ride. The super-quick pace makes it fly by. Action is always happening, even if you don't necessarily care about all of it.

The story is a zombie tale with an unusual plot overshadowing it with different twists added to the genre. Instead of people just randomly rising from the dead for some bizarre reason, a deathbringer (kind of a like a reaper) has...more
Sayword Eller
Dandrige Tennessee was your average almost small town. Muggy in the southern humidity and lethargic, nothing much ever happens in Dandridge. That is until a young girl selling magazines snaps Dandrige out of its lethargy and into reality.
Unbeknownst to this young girl, she has become a pawn in the struggle between light and dark. The first move in an intricate game that could mean the extinction of the human race.
Bryan Smith has a self-taught rawness that gives this story charm, but at the sam...more
TK421
Admittingly, the title could use a little help. But if you like zombie tales, this book will satisfy your craving. These zombies are not your typical slow, brain-eating variety; they are a new kind of breed: they talk; they think; and they even feel emotion. George Romero might have a few qualms about this (as will zombie purists), but the story keeps you turning the pages. The action is intense, and some scenes will make you squirm. Do not approach this book with hopes of learning some new elem...more
H3yd00
Jan 14, 2008 H3yd00 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2006
I really enjoyed this book. It was a good old fashioned horror romp, dealing with one of my favorite monsters: zombies. Very quick read, the plot progressed at a very fast pace. I would recommend this book to any Laymon or Keene fans.
William M.
This is my first Bryan Smith book and it might very well be my last. The quality of the writing was average, but the story was where he lost me. It was definitely lacking. Smith is just not in the same league as the other Leisure authors such as Gary Braunbeck, T.M. Wright, Tom Piccirilli, Richard Laymon, Tim Lebbon, and Simon Clark.

The mythology he created felt forced and unoriginal. This might have made a good 90 page screenplay, but not a 342 page novel. The Hawthorne character was annoying...more
Patrick D'Orazio
Deathbringer is an ok zombie book. I got through it fairly quickly and so I can say that the author knows how to keep things moving along at a fairly good pace. As mentioned in other reviews, he is a bit heavy handed on the metaphors but I could tolerate that for the most part because even though the book was thick with them, they didn't necessarily distract me too terribly much for the flow of the story.

Bryan Smith attempts to create a variation on the Grim Reaper here that I really didn't buy...more
Venture_Africa
Jan 26, 2008 Venture_Africa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves good horror.
In the small town of Dandridge an ancient hatred is rekindled. A blinding desire for revenge, for freedom, for the ultimate power is born from the blackest heart filled with darkness and centuries old despair caused by a bleak existence devoid of humanity and compassion. An existence whose sole remaining purpose is to destroy everything that was once beautiful in the world. To create a necropolis; a vile circle ultimately leading into the spiraling chasm of living death where all life is consume...more
DJMikeG
This is Bryan Smith's highly original and imaginative take on a zombie apocalypse. I repeat, highly original and imaginative. For that fact alone, I give it 4 stars. I was leaning towards three and a half, but when I wrote my first sentence of this review, I realized, damn, this book really was a different take on zombies. Which is saying something these days, as the zombie, once the proud mascot of the hardcore horror elite, has become as played out as the sexy vampire. As far as Bryan Smith, g...more
John Bellman
As a piece of literature this book deserves one (or zero) stars. I only gave this 2 stars because I actually finished it and because it was so laughably bad that it was almost entertaining in a way---although I could never actually recommend it to anyone. I found it at the dollar store and think I paid 50 cents too much for it.
Kellybrianna
This is Bryan Smith's 2nd novel (the first House of Blood I also reviewed and enjoyed) and I think that he is a new and fresh horror writer. This book is about Hannah Starke a young woman who's marrying the love of her life Mike and has everything going for her. That is until she is killed and becomes the first zombie brought to life by the Deathbringer. The book is fast and it gets right to the point in the first chapter, no long introduction to the walking undead. I think that Smith shows a lo...more
Tabitha
I saw this book in the store and thought, "Awesome! A zombie novel!" I'm not saying this book was bad but the "zombies" were able to talk, breathe, and think. I just don't understand how they are zombies if they are able to do the things living beings do. The story was good, overall. The author put too much detail into the main living villain, Melinda. He should have given more background to the others in the story so that we would care if they lived or died. The Reaper aka The Deathbringer, The...more
Teawench
May 04, 2010 Teawench rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teawench by: Chris
Another author that was recommended to me. I liked this better than the Ed Lee book. It was a pretty fast read and kept me interested. But horror? Not in my opinion. Suspense, maybe. At times it even had more comedic leanings than anything else. The end seemed a little weak. I was expecting something more earth shattering than what was written. The characters were ok. They weren't too deep and weren't too flat. But I don't know that I cared much about any of them. And the ones I might have cared...more
Lixi_pop ThompSon
This book left me feeling cheated and disappointed. The plot was not new, but it seemed to have a good start I liked the characters ( those that had been introduced by this point) and there was a little dry humor. The book dragged on and left me wanting to skip chapters to get the pace up a little. But it was the ending that kicked the proverbial bucket to say. It had no flavor and felt tacked on, not to mention it was very much predictable, I haven't read anything else by this author, but I wil...more
Rich
Apr 09, 2008 Rich rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
Pulpy fun ... if you would describe "Pulpy Fun" as a lot of violence mixed with cheesy metaphors.

In retrospect, I complained to all my friends about how I hated this book. Secretly, however, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment I complained. It's best to think about Bryan Smith's fiction as a close, loving, aproximation of drive-in horror. It's over the top. And that's a good reason to like it.
Nichole
I was on the look out for a heaping pile of zombie violence. I certainly got it, with this book! It's a fast read, because it is just a lot of fun to read.
Nothing super deep or introspective, just plain old fun horror. I will definitely get more of this authors stuff.
Mark Brown
Already a fan of Bryan's work I loved this original take on the zombie apocalypse and it is one of his best novels as far as I am concerned. If you enjoy his inimitable style of visceral writing then you cannot fail to be enthralled by this brutally sensual treat.
Jon
Jun 11, 2008 Jon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
Another great story by Mr. Smith. A different take on the whole zombie genre that I found quite interesting. It is hard to put down as I wanted to find out what happened next. Keep up the good work Bryan and I can't wait until your next novel.
Rob Bliss
Cant go wrong with any Bryan Smith for blood! Blood and gore on every page, and its a fast read since he grabs you and doesnt let go. Read this, then read more of him.
Bjeff121
This was my first Bryan Smith book, and it was NOT my last. The story gives a different perspective of zombies.It's a quick read, very easy to understand.
Edward Richter
Bryan Smith is one of those writer's that can really get you going, in Deathbringer he puts a new twist on the zombie line
Kurt Criscione
The grim reaper as a character, Zombies, hot psychogirl slashing the hell out of people... must be Bryan Smith. :)
Leif
This book was hilariously bad. The violence, the gore, the zombies! Bryan Smith is the new Stephen King.
Ryan
May 14, 2007 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror/Zombie readers
Shelves: horror
A decent, easy read. Flows very well. Graphic violence. Simplistic writing, but over all a fun read.
Kevin Gallan
i enjoyed this book very much....zombies mixed in with Bryan Smith kind of carnage...a great mix
you know that you want my books ;)
Than Bryan Smith appears to be Brian Keene's fatter, nastier, bloodier, twisted, evil step-cousin.
Donna
Nasty, depressing, good read :)
Ladiibbug
  • Grey Dogs
  • The Golem
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Deadfall
  • Ghost Walk (Leisure Fiction)
  • Autumn: The Human Condition
  • After Life
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • Xombies
  • The Attraction
  • Quarantined
  • Safari (Mountain Man Book Two)
  • Blood Crazy
  • Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Movies: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema
Depraved The Freakshow The Killing Kind House of Blood Soultaker