Start by marking “Ghost Ship” as Want to Read:
Ghost Ship

Ghost Ship

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  368 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
A contemporary, wholly original, spine-tingling ghost story born of pirate legend that School Library Journal calls "reminiscent of the film Pirates of the Caribbean."

Vicki plans to spend her summer vacation waitressing in her father's famous seaside restaurant. But when the bay goes dry and a 1772 sailing ship appears, Vicki's course is reset. Where the greedy mayor sees
Published October 1st 2006 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Ship

Coyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
Mystery
96th out of 279 books — 248 voters
From Deities by Mary TingFrom Gods by Mary TingForged by Greed by A.O. PeartHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingForever Kansas by Julie Cassar
Your Favorite YA Books
69th out of 78 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Dea
Apr 07, 2011 Michael Dea rated it liked it
The book “Ghost Ship” by Dietlof Reiche I originally read when I was in middle school, when I was the rough age of the characters of the book. When I read it then, I thought it was a fairly entertaining story, enjoying the level of mystery and the storyline. After reading it a second time, several years later, I still found it interesting, but I could better see the literary devices that Reiche used, and what actually went into creating the story.
Ghost Ship is the story of how an 18th century
Books4m
Apr 10, 2011 Books4m rated it it was amazing
Wow I never read ghost stories and truth be told I had no idea this was one. The back just gave the impression of a good mystery, but this book was wonderful. Hard to put down and full of the history that I so enjoy in a book. The ghost mystery was well thought out and in the end the author answered every question I asked. I cant tell you how important good writing is when you are writing a ghost story told to detailed and you just scare the readers with no depth but to loosly written and the my ...more
Matthew Xiong
Ghost Ship by Dietlof Reiche. The book overall was interesting and kept my attention while reading it. I liked it since it first introduced the characters that later were given an important role. Based on where the story takes place it seems to take place in a beach city or like New Orleans. The main characters in the book were named Vicky and Peter. The main conflict of this book was to stop some kind of curse on the crew of the ship named the Storm Goddess the curse was like a version of hell ...more
Bella
Feb 07, 2014 Bella rated it it was amazing
This book is still one of my favorite books. Every time I would decided that it's time to stop reading and go out or go to bed something new would hook me in and I would fall for it all over again. Definitely an amazing book!
Aug 20, 2009 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: boring-books
Terrible terrible writing; nothing is descriptive and events fly by too fast. Characters are not stable and are not introduced very well.
Christina Piper
Jun 02, 2015 Christina Piper rated it it was amazing
Serendipity Reviews
Nov 08, 2011 Serendipity Reviews rated it liked it
Two things attracted me to this book when I saw it. Firstly the cover, it just looks so ghostly and chilling, I couldn't resist. Secondly, the idea of a bay drying up and an eighteenth century ship appearing adrift in the bay. What a fabulously original story line. I was completely intrigued by this book and couldn't wait to read it.

I actually took this one on holiday with me, as it appealed to my holiday mood - set in a seaside tourist area revolving around tales from the past.

I have to be hon
Tori
Jul 13, 2012 Tori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fantasy
Sarah Sammis
Feb 13, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was ok
Ghost Ship by Dietlof Reiche is a young adult mystery with paranormal themes. Vikki plans to spend her summer waiting tables in her parents' restaurant, a must see stop in their seaside village. A summertime friendship with boy visiting the town with his parents and the mayor's renewed interest in the figurehead that sits in prominent display in the restaurant sparks a series of events that forces the village to relive the events that brought the figurehead to shore.

The book has some fantastic m
Jenn
Apr 09, 2009 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I'm really liking this book now. My sister let me go through her books at school and told me take a few that caught my interest. She teaches 7th grade English and 9th grade AP English.
So far I'm liking it. At the beginning it talks about it is the year 1772 and how Jacob Adams creates figureheads for ships. Work is hard to come by and finally a client comes in and asks for a figurehead for this ship. Some how Jacob knew exactly what kind of figurehead was meant to be for the mans ship. So he ma
El Templo
El mar que baña la costa de un pueblecito del norte de Europa ha retrocedido millas y, como por arte de magia, un buque del siglo XVIII ha aparecido encallado en perfectas condiciones donde la gente solía bañarse. Entre los curiosos que se acercan a contemplar este extraño acontecimiento se encuentran la joven Lena, hija del chef del Salón de los Moluscos (un restaurante bastante conocido de la zona), y Félix, un chico de su edad que veranea con sus padres en el pueblo.

El barco aparecido es el B
Rene
Oct 09, 2008 Rene rated it really liked it
9/25/08
1. My goal for this week was to get to page 250.
2. This week I read 44 pages (211-255)

3. Vicki is a very adventureous teen who has an interest in ships. She has a particular interest in the figurehead of the vessel named the "Storm Goddess". And once she has a goal for herself she meets it.

4. My goal for next week is to get to Part Three of the book.

9/18/08
1. My goal this week was to get to page 200.
2. This week I read 48 pages (162-210)

3. The setting of this book is in city with a beach
Lauren Hartley
Mar 20, 2015 Lauren Hartley rated it liked it
It was okay! I think if I'd read it when I bought it (aka, 5 years ago) I would have enjoyed it more. But it was a quick read that has the nice, happy ending kids books always have! :)
Kris
Oct 20, 2014 Kris rated it it was ok
What was I expecting? I checked it out from the middle school library! Duh. Great for a middle schooler.
Rachel
Apr 07, 2015 Rachel added it
My favorite book in 5th grade.
Lucinda
Oct 25, 2014 Lucinda rated it liked it
It was okay
Brian
Feb 02, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing
Its good
Sally
Jul 23, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing
It was about a girl named Vicky and her friend that is a boy. They found a ship that keep on appearing on the shore of the beach. And they figure out that it was a ghost ship. They soon were in adventure and they had to slove a mystery of the lost doubloons and also the lost crewe. But not so fast someone was after the
doubloons to and at the very end they found the doubloons and caught the crimmal!
Megan M.
Dec 06, 2007 Megan M. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This was an okay book. I read it a long time ago, probably in the summer or something. I had a hard time finding this book on goodreads because this isn't the exact cover of the book in the library...in case you're wondering. It's about a mystery in the town about a sinking ship. One night, part of the bay gets dried up and there sits a pirate ship...maybe full of treasure?? They explore and find out.
Pandora
Oct 29, 2008 Pandora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The book would have been better if it had been shorter. It was trying to be creepy but the length of the book made it hard to maintain the scare and slowed the pace of action. The book also has a basic logic flaw. The Mayor is suppose to be a descedent of the Captain. But, the Captain is an orphan and died with no children. So, where did the Mayor come from?
Terrorofthehighseascalledfred
I learned never to read scary books near bedtime. It's very creepy. For example, when the Storm Goddess -- which is the Ghost Ship -- suddenly appeared. On board the ship, there were some mutineers and they fought a battle, I don't know why, but they were doomed to fight that battle every night. All the descriptions of the battle were creepy.
Tiffany
Apr 14, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who luv adventure!
i luv the characters. especially vicky!!!!!!! to my friend michelle!!!!! =P + my friends at Faria and at other schools in the future. especially valene, binti, yeona, monique, and of course i cant leave out linda! ur all my very good friends. i forgot vidya and sahana. (cindy) not the cindy at faria!
Viv
Aug 21, 2011 Viv rated it liked it
My friend recommended it to me and I read it over winter break. The description was amazing and I could "see" the events play out in my mind. The suspense was thrilling and when I read the part about the truth of the ship, I really felt spooked.
Breena
Oct 14, 2015 Breena rated it really liked it
My 22 month old pulled this off the shelf and I thought it looked good so I read it. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the adventure and particularly the ending. Endings are important! It was a light read but intriguing.
Nina
I liked this book when I was little. It was a pretty good adventure book that didn't have to go out of it's way to make it fun to read. It gives you lots of questions as you go through the book.
Juan oviedo
mmmm la verdad el libro es un poco aburridor son tres capítulos, hubieron momentos emocionantes, pero otros momentos no que pereza, me daban ganas de tirarlo.
Natalie
Feb 28, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I think this book was great! I bought it a couple years ago at a book fair, and I finally got the chance to read it. I think it's a great mystery book for teens.
Alana
Mar 19, 2008 Alana rated it really liked it
I thought the ending to this book was really good. There were some confusing parts here and there that I had to re-read, but other than that, this was a great book.
Evan D
Jun 04, 2009 Evan D rated it it was amazing
This book was very scary at some parts and it had a lot of ghostly parts to it like when Vicki saw ghosts fighting on a ghost ship and a couple began to like her.
Jimi-carol Benton
Oct 08, 2012 Jimi-carol Benton rated it really liked it
I dont like scary things but this book was great. It was not scary to the point of not being able to sleep at night. Mostly just suspenseful.
  • The Amethyst Child
  • griEVE
  • Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill
  • Girl Underground
  • Hamlet
  • In Ecstasy
  • Into the Woods
  • The Industry (The Industry, #1)
  • The Young Man and the Sea (After Words)
  • Missing Abby
  • Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #2)
  • The Bridge
  • Aries Rising  (Star Crossed, #1)
  • Big Fat Manifesto