Start by marking “How to Travel Practically Anywhere” as Want to Read:
How to Travel Practically Anywhere

How to Travel Practically Anywhere

An essential guide for today's traveler: timesaving tips to navigate, book, and troubleshoot your travel planning, on and off the Web.

If you’ve ever tried to find a sale fare you saw advertised for a flight, only to turn up much higher prices, or discovered that the hotel you booked wasn’t exactly “steps away from the ocean,” you know that the do-it-yourself era of travel
Published April 5th 2006 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How to Travel Practically Anywhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Travel Practically Anywhere

Parrish Glover
Aug 01, 2015 Parrish Glover rated it liked it
This review covers the 2006 edition, purchased and read on paper.

In a travel book, I look for one of things: inspiration of where to go or what to do, motivation to get off my ass and explore, or useful tips and advice to make the journey smoother. Stellin's book is moderately useful in this third category, which was its purpose.

The book sat on my shelf for years, so some links are dead and some methodologies have changed. Information about travel forums or chat rooms is outdated and the book ca
Lucy
May 02, 2012 Lucy rated it liked it
I was skeptical that advice on self-service travel could possibly fill a book of this length, but as soon as I started reading this, I was taking copious notes on resources I had been previously unaware of, especially in terms of planning just-in-case scenarios and finding English-language advice from locals.
Kim
Aug 08, 2008 Kim rated it liked it
This a good travel guide book for breaking out of your general travel rut and learning tips and tricks for traveling on a budget. It didn't have any earth shattering new techniques, but did get some good websites and references for trying out new ways to budget travel.
Jennifer Hughes
Feb 01, 2017 Jennifer Hughes rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
I skimmed this and thought it had some really helpful information. If I take a big trip in the future I'd like to come back and go through some sections in detail.
Ellen
Jul 27, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Although it read a bit like a textbook at times, this book was full of valuable information, especially for those of us who get to travel abroad but rarely. I will definitely be making notes!
Tuck
Jan 05, 2010 Tuck marked it as to-read
east bound
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Allie
Apr 21, 2009 Allie rated it it was ok
Some airport tricks and hotel websites I didn't know of before.. a good reference.
Bryan
Bryan rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2009
Travellinglibrarian
Travellinglibrarian rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Brittany Farrell
Brittany Farrell rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2014
Nancy P
Nancy P rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Tatyana
Tatyana rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
John
John rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Tanja Hester
Tanja Hester rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
evett oh
evett oh rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Chuck Chua
Chuck Chua rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Benjamin Bowman
Benjamin Bowman rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Cherie
May 04, 2008 Cherie rated it did not like it
Shelves: travel
D If you are a moron, this book is great. Offers very basic travel advice.
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2013
Hanna
Hanna rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2010
Brandyn
Brandyn rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Marion
Marion rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2011
Laura Welsher
Laura Welsher rated it did not like it
Aug 03, 2011
Guven Yuceturk
Guven Yuceturk rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014
Kristi
Kristi rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2008
Mia
Mia rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2008
Susan Stellin is freelance reporter who has contributed to The New York Times and other publications for more than 15 years. In 2014, she and her partner Graham MacIndoe were awarded a fellowship from The Alicia Patterson Foundation for their project American Exile. Previously she worked as an editor at The Times and at CNET in San Francisco. Susan has a B.A. in political science from Stanford Uni ...more
More about Susan Stellin...