Start by marking “The Amish of Lancaster County” as Want to Read:
The Amish of Lancaster County

The Amish of Lancaster County

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Primer to understanding Amish life for visitorsCaptivating color photographyInsight on recent media eventsMore than 8.5 million people visit Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, every year to experience the culture of the oldest Amish community in the world. This book by the leading scholar of the Amish explains the uncommon lifestyle of these simple-living people who intrigue ...more
Published February 25th 2008 by Stackpole Books (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Amish of Lancaster County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amish of Lancaster County

Lori
I read this on my kindle e-reader. I remember when my parents had a place on a lake in Michigan. It was in Montcalm county.this was my first encounter with the Amish. there was a population of Amish families there. I had read there is a big population of Amish people in Pennsylvania.this was a very interesting and educational book about the Amish and how they live.
It covers many aspects and traditions the Amish follow. there are many different sects of the Amish and each one has it's rules and
Heidi
An accessible if somewhat simplistic description of Amish life. A good starting point for delving into more in-depth studies of this religious community.
Emilie
If you are looking for a rather in depth look at the Amish people, their culture and their way of living, this book will seem very shallow. Although there is nothing wrong with it beside the fact that it simply doesn't dig deep enough. It also, as the title suggests, focuses on the Amish in Lancaster County specifically and therefore has a rather narrow view.

If you want a heartier read I suggest THE RIDDLE OF AMISH CULTURE by the same author. It is much more thorough and if you are interested en
Sharon
Interesting read as we will be visiting Lancaster, PA sometime later this year.
Kelley
Aug 07, 2013 Kelley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
An engaging look at the Amish, but not a great deal of new information.
Susan
It was good, but it was very basic.
Ali
Ali is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Michelle Blake
Michelle Blake marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jessie Cumpson
Jessie Cumpson marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Pam Cooper
Pam Cooper marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Debra Hostetler
Debra Hostetler marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Helena Sludnikov
Helena Sludnikov marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Barbara Brabank
Barbara Brabank marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Beverly Tarr
Beverly Tarr marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy The Upside-Down Kingdom The Riddle of Amish Culture The Amish Way: Patient Faith in a Perilous World The Amish