Start by marking “The Amish of Lancaster County” as Want to Read:
The Amish of Lancaster County

The Amish of Lancaster County

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Primer to understanding Amish life for visitorsCaptivating color photographyInsight on recent media eventsMore than 8.5 million people visit Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, every year to experience the culture of the oldest Amish community in the world. This book by the leading scholar of the Amish explains the uncommon lifestyle of these simple-living people who intrigue ...more
Published February 25th 2008 by Stackpole Books (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Amish of Lancaster County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amish of Lancaster County

Warwick
Having gone over to the US for a wedding in Luray, Virginia, Hannah and I decided to extend our stay by booking a week, almost at random, on a farm in rural Pennsylvania. It turned out to be a beautiful eighteenth-century cottage predating the Declaration of Independence, and lying in the heart of Amish country – low, slightly hilly land, spread with vast fields of corn, yellow wheat, green soybeans, occasional tobacco, grain silos poking up on the horizon, covered wooden bridges and horse-drawn ...more
Lori
Aug 15, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
I read this on my kindle e-reader. I remember when my parents had a place on a lake in Michigan. It was in Montcalm county.this was my first encounter with the Amish. there was a population of Amish families there. I had read there is a big population of Amish people in Pennsylvania.this was a very interesting and educational book about the Amish and how they live.
It covers many aspects and traditions the Amish follow. there are many different sects of the Amish and each one has it's rules and
Heidi
Jun 28, 2014 Heidi rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
An accessible if somewhat simplistic description of Amish life. A good starting point for delving into more in-depth studies of this religious community.
Emilie
Dec 30, 2010 Emilie rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a rather in depth look at the Amish people, their culture and their way of living, this book will seem very shallow. Although there is nothing wrong with it beside the fact that it simply doesn't dig deep enough. It also, as the title suggests, focuses on the Amish in Lancaster County specifically and therefore has a rather narrow view.

If you want a heartier read I suggest THE RIDDLE OF AMISH CULTURE by the same author. It is much more thorough and if you are interested en
Sharon
May 01, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Interesting read as we will be visiting Lancaster, PA sometime later this year.
Kelley
Aug 07, 2013 Kelley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
An engaging look at the Amish, but not a great deal of new information.
Susan
Jul 21, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
It was good, but it was very basic.
Danelle Cale
Danelle Cale marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2016
Donita Corman
Donita Corman marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Terri Falcon-Thrun
Terri Falcon-Thrun marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Alice Yoder
Alice Yoder marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Diane
Diane added it
Jan 25, 2016
Kajola
Kajola marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Nancy DeValve
Nancy DeValve rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Linda L Coale
Linda L Coale rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Kay Carlson
Kay Carlson rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Cindia S Witherow
Cindia S Witherow rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Judith
Judith added it
Dec 04, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Anna-Grace
Anna-Grace marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015