Start by marking “And a Time to Die: How American Hospitals Shape the End of Life” as Want to Read:
And a Time to Die: How American Hospitals Shape the End of Life

And a Time to Die: How American Hospitals Shape the End of Life

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Over the past thirty years, the way Americans experience death has been dramatically altered. The advent of medical technology capable of sustaining life without restoring health has changed where, when, and how we die. In this revelatory study, medical anthropologist Sharon R. Kaufman examines the powerful center of those changes: the hospital, where most Americans die to ...more
Published September 15th 2006 by University Of Chicago Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about And a Time to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And a Time to Die

In The Neighborhood by Peter LovenheimA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonThe Worst Hard Time by Timothy EganGrowing Up Native American by Patricia RileyGrowing Up Asian American by Maria Hong
American
43rd out of 111 books — 5 voters
Howards End by E.M. ForsterWhere the Sidewalk Ends by Shel SilversteinHowards End is on the Landing by Susan HillThe Middle of Everywhere by Mary PipherThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Beginning, Middle, and End - Titles
54th out of 57 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashley
This was a good, if dense, read that opened my eyes to end of life issues, specifically how death and dying occurs in hospitals. We've all heard about "life support" and "DNR (do not resucitate) orders", quality of life issues, suffering, and the like.

Like most people, before reading this book I had no idea that "life support" or "heroic measures" aren't one specific thing. They are more concepts, and as such, are open to interpretation. Kaufman is an anthropologist, so her approach is a little
Jessica
I appreciated how much time the author spent researching for this book, including spending time in multiple hospitals to talk with patients, their families, and basically everyone that was part of the medical staff (although mostly nurses and doctors). It's a fairly easy read and hard to put down.

I didn't agree with all of her conclusions. She seems to be saying that there are big-picture driving forces (powered by Medicare reimbursement rules) that drive when patients get admitted and when pat
Erin
This was an assigned reading for my college medical anthropology class but I was glad I had to read it. Kaufman filled this book with real life situations she encountered during her research. You'll read about men and women (not always elderly) who are dying of one thing or another and see how the patients themselves, their families, and the medical staff deal with (or don't deal with) their situations.

Kaufman uses these true stories to show how patients need to make their wishes clear but how t
Leslie
This is a thoughtful ethnographic study of the dying process of the hospital, more specifically of critical illness (both acute and chronic). Although as a medical provider I chaffed at some of the interpretations, I did not wholly disagree with any of them. She formulates modern death in terms of technological cultural imperatives as well as bureaucratic time pressures. She postulates that Nature has lost its grounding function in shaping our sense of the morality of dying because technology ha ...more
Lisa
This is a must read. It's an eye opener to the challenges we face at the end of life and provides a look at the politics of living and dying in American hospitals. The discourse is different for everyone, but if we are more aware we may be better prepared to shape the end of life to meet our personal aspirations for a decent death.
Yifei Men
An interesting read on a heavy topic. Wonderful introduction to the healthcare system in relation to end-of-life care. A tad long though, and the later anecdotes don't seem to contribute much to the overall argument.
Kathy
Mar 15, 2010 Kathy added it
This book validates my reaction to the experience I've been having over the past two weeks while my husband's father was in the hospital. A good study, well written. And a very odd mostly American phenomenon.
K
Sep 29, 2008 K rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sociology
Reading this definitely changed my opinions about what I would like happen if I were to need life-preserving technology - but in many places, the book is redundant.
Margaret
There were parts that were interesting but it was very dry. I did not finish it.
Kipahni
this book helped me with my research.
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
S
S marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Shaxtell
Shaxtell marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Rita
Rita is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Lauren Stover
Lauren Stover marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Cathy Hasty
Cathy Hasty is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sharon R. Kaufman is Chair of the Department of Anthropology, History and Social Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. She is the author of …And a Time to Die: How American Hospitals Shape the End of Life.
More about Sharon R. Kaufman...
The Ageless Self: Sources of Meaning in Late Life The Healer's Tale: Transforming Medicine and Culture Ordinary Medicine: Extraordinary Treatments, Longer Lives, and Where to Draw the Line Applied Communication Skills: Spelling and Vocabulary (Cambridge Workplace Success)