Start by marking “Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)

Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy #3)

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  18,360 Ratings  ·  245 Reviews
The world on the other side of the rift:Kelewan, a land seething with political intrigue and deadly conspiracies.Following the opulent panoply of Daughter Of The Empire and the dazzling pageantry of Servant Of The Empire comes the resounding conclusion to the Empire trilogy.

Besieged by spies and rival houses, stalked by a secret and merciless brotherhood of assassins, the
Mass Market Paperback, 676 pages
Published May 1993 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of the Empire

Troy G
Dec 12, 2010 Troy G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
So concludes the best trilogy ever written. When I think about this book, in many ways I think of the supporting cast. I could retitle the book "Arakasi and Lujan" as those are the two character's whose plots most resonated with me. These two characters had perhaps the most drastic arc from the first novel in the trilogy when they were little more than outlaws. In this novel they are so very much more. More than they ever could have been without the intervention of Mara.

That is her greatest gif
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
A fabulous finish to a great trilogy. I've read & enjoyed other books & series by both authors, but I think that together, they were even better. Thanks, Janny & Ray!
Michael Y. Patuwo
Mar 26, 2012 Michael Y. Patuwo rated it liked it
I have strongly mixed opinions about this books; parts of it excite me so much that I thought 'this is a truly magnificent scene', while other parts made me fume with irritation and disbelief.

Let's start with the good part. Mistress of the Empire started with a BANG! that left me unable to put the book down for a few chapters because of how powerful its impact was on the story and characters. Later in the book another tragic surprise roped me in with a similar intensity, and the fast-paced actio
Dan
Sep 17, 2015 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Very good, rather lengthy, but superb!
 Adriana ♩♪
Jun 09, 2015 Adriana ♩♪ rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this trilogy for MONTHS... what a weird feeling! It will take time to get back into reality. I’m pretty much still living in that magical and different world.

The Empire Trilogy: 1,924 pages of politic intrigues, plots, spy network, poisoning, assassinations, massacres, vengeance and blood feud.

The story is also about tradition, honor, amazing creatures and lots of magic. All this combined with Mara, a very very strong female character.

These books can be a little dense, espec
Sumant
May 03, 2015 Sumant rated it really liked it
Not many series endings have given me the experience but with the book Servant of the empire, I can say that the ending left me feeling content.All the story lines got a proper ending in this book.Also we discover lot of new things regarding cho-ja and tsuruanni in this book.

The previous books consisted of given insights into characters who are working against Mara.But this book offers insights into male counterparts who are working for Mara.The most interesting insights are the ones given by Ar
Ayesa
Jun 21, 2015 Ayesa rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best book out of the entire trilogy. Unlike its predecessor, in this book Mara remained at the forefront of the plot and challenged opposition in a way that was unexpected, action-packed, and most of all, heartfelt.

Out of all the books I've read, Mara is the most multidimensional character I've ever come across and in this book, you see all of those sides flourish with every page. She is vulnerable and caring yet carries with her an inner strength and calm (traits less often asso
Kate
Feb 18, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
The first quarter of the final book in the series is not good. The death of Mara's son through the hands of an assassin drives her mad with grief which leads her to attempt to go to war with her nemesis Jiro of the Anasatzi. The way this first quarter of the book is written is confusing and lacklustre, but does set up the rest of the story which is Mara vs the Black Robes and Assassins and Anasatzi.

The other three-quarters of the book is utterly brilliant, totally gripping and in places heartwre
Pauline
Jul 17, 2012 Pauline rated it it was ok
I need to file this last book into my pile of "what a terrible last book in a series" books. I had to trudge my way through a majority of this one. The beginning of the book was pretty good. I had been disappointed with the second book in this series and was hoping for this to end with a bang. Unfortunately it did not and now I can't decide if this was a good investment of my time or not.

I still love the characters but it just got bogged down with so much excess that it lost that spark that fir
Kara
Mar 24, 2015 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

Tragedy after bad thing after setback after disaster happen to Mara, and at first it’s so bad she goes a little catatonic, and then makes some SEVERE missteps.

Then, Mara being the awesome heroine she is, she decides if the system is broken, she’s just going to have to pull the whole thing down, and proceeds to do so.

An Epic Quest at its finest, with the stakes sky high, and heroine who will do anything to protect those she loves.
Luana
3,5

Sono ancora abbastanza combattuta sul giudizio da dare a questo libro, però, ora come ora, non me la sento di dare la quarta stellina: molte cose mi sono piaciute, ma non sono mancati i lati negativi, per non parlare dell'incazzatura che mi è venuta nel vedere separata la mia coppia preferita...non credo di poter scrivere una recensione coerente, perciò butterò giù una serie di punti, indicando sempre la presenza di spoiler, e vediamo cosa ne viene fuori.

Pronti, partenza, via!

1) Questo libro
Mieneke
Glitterfairy
Jan 06, 2009 Glitterfairy added it
Recommends it for: Anyone who preferred Krondor's Sons duology over the previous two books
Recommended to Glitterfairy by: misguided people who told me it was as good as the previous two
Victoria
That was just...Wow. I've been on a wild ride since the first installation in this trilogy and I never expected the story to conclude like this, so amazing and bittersweet. The Empire Trilogy has truly challenged my view of what I consider good books, good writing, good characterization, and good plot. More than that, it's taught me a lot about what it means to be strong and stand firm in the face of adversity and challenge.

Frankly, The Empire Trilogy has very much awoken my interest in fantasy
Rachel van Huyssteen
May 08, 2015 Rachel van Huyssteen rated it really liked it
Mistress of the empire started out with an explosion. I was thinking to myself, "I'm never going to put this book down" and "this is going to be just as amazing as the 1st book in the trilogy (Daughter of the Empire)." This lasted for maybe 150 pages or so. Throughout the middle of the book there was a lot of politics, which isn't my favorite in any book. I buckled down and got through it. Then the book started getting amazing again. Lujan and Arakasi really made this book what it is. Without ...more
Jeffrey Grant
Jul 19, 2013 Jeffrey Grant rated it really liked it
This book almost seemed like two; there is a definite change in tone and pacing starting roughly halfway through. I must say I liked the second half more than the former, because Mara plays almost no part in the initial stages of the book; the first half focuses primarily on Mara’s spymaster and the spymaster for her new key rival, Jiro (brother of her unfortunate husband from book 1), with interludes spend with Hokanu interspersed throughout. It almost turns into an espionage/secret agent novel ...more
Dixie A.
Mar 03, 2015 Dixie A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
The conclusion to the series and, while not the best of it (Daughter of the Empire is the best), it certainly has its points.

When I first encountered this series, this book was one of my favorites because of a sex scene somewhere around the middle of the book where Mara's spymaster has to seduce a jaded courtesan for information. The courtesan's challenge to him was to get her off, which she considered to be impossible. While in the heavily guarded bed of her owner. And the spymaster fell in lov
Jackie
Aug 14, 2011 Jackie rated it liked it
Much better than book 2 (Servant of the Empire). The people and their action were more in keeping with the way the story unfolded in book 1 (Daughter of the Empire).There is plenty of action in the book, it moves a lot faster than the previous one.
Mara has travelled an immense distance, both literally and metaphorically. She sees how the stagnation of the Empire, due largely to the rigid honour code that dictates the Tsurani way of life, stifles the growth of the land and its people.
Her task i
Giacomo
Jan 20, 2013 Giacomo rated it it was amazing
In the final book of the Empire Series, Janny Wurts and Raymond Feist stepped up to the plate and smacked another home run. I thought the first book in the series was one of the best fantasy books I’ve read. The second was an excellent book, but I felt it slipped in a few places. With Mistress, they have returned with another masterpiece.

The plotting was tremendous, taking the reader through political intrigue and subterfuge, and a host of sub-plots. IMO this was a well-thought-out process that
David
The third book promised to be yet another powerful story of the comet rise of Mara through station and power, as this time, she goes up against the Assembly of Magicians itself, the self-governing body of absolute power. Unfortunately, it does takes things to the point of highly unbelievable. Yes, the pacing is still excellent, and as you read, the tension builds and builds and you just can't seem to put it down. The story is as gripping as the first two, no doubt, but the aftertaste was ...more
Hilary
Aug 08, 2016 Hilary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Just... wow. I remember not liking this one as much when I first started reading this trilogy (as a teenager) because it took Mara out of the Empire, creating too much distance between the politics and the people I knew. There's also far more magic - much more than Milamber's display at the arena - and a few nasty surprises along the way.

But now, rereading for the umpteenth time as an adult, the pacing, the tension and the characters all work together to draw *everything* from the series into on
Barefoot Danger
Apr 17, 2015 Barefoot Danger rated it did not like it
I cannot say enough bad things about this book. Here's a drinking game: Drink anytime an old person is described as "wizened", someone counts off things on their fingers (if they're not actually counting anything, chug), anytime someone inclines their head, all chapters that begin with "[Noun] [verb]ed," and any time you want to slit your wrists.

Awful. This book was awful.

The authors have obviously never taken the advice "Show, don't tell." Chapters are divided arbitrarily. It will take three c
Rachel
Oct 06, 2014 Rachel rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, irritating
I am not ashamed to admit that if I never see this trilogy again, it'll be too soon. The authors turn everything they've written in the previous two books on its head, just for the sake of making us feel pity for Mara, who is even more self-serving in this one than in the other two, even though the authors have tried to disguise it as grief. Over-padded, over-bloated, ridiculous political wrangling doesn't equal plot unless there is also a story to sustain it, and there's nothing like that here, ...more
Kai
Jul 28, 2010 Kai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Fabulous conclusion to an absolutely fantastic trilogy. I loved the fact that this final installment answered many questions I had from the first 2 books. I ran through the whole gamut of emotions from anger, fear and frustration through to hurt, joy and happiness. I even weeped a little. :)
Nuno Magalhães
Feb 14, 2015 Nuno Magalhães rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todos os fãs de excelente Fantasia
Shelves: own, fantasia, favorites
Esta trilogia é simplesmente soberba. Este último livro fecha com a chave de ouro um estilo de fantasia que considero insuperável. Este é um livro que causa variadíssimas emoções, à medida que a narrativa, implacavelmente, se desenrola de surpresa em surpresa. Altamente aconselhável.
Dawn
Aug 11, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2011
I didn't write a review for this yet? Oops. For real though.. I was disappointed. I didn't like the ending, among other things.. I still gave it 3 stars, but barely. Baaaaarely.

Don't take this to heart though.. Most people love it. It's probably just me.
Lana
Nov 04, 2013 Lana rated it it was amazing
a very enjoyable series, different and very exciting and the heroine is a female in a setting which was very biased and male orientated!! women should particularly enjoy this series.
Skye
Jan 07, 2015 Skye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-fantasy
A very satisfying re-read.
Fernando
Aug 22, 2015 Fernando rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei, mas tava a ver que nunca mais acabava...
Lars Gonçalves
Que final espectacular para uma saga magnífica!
Space Opera Fans : Ender's Game Series and Riftwar Saga Series Crossovers 5 19 Nov 09, 2015 02:03AM
Fantasy Book Club...: Finished the book - SPOILERS! 13 75 Jun 17, 2015 11:23AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong publication year 2 9 Apr 07, 2014 02:43AM
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)
  • The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga, #7)
  • Sword of Flame (Artefacts of Power, #3)
  • The Shining Ones (The Tamuli, #2)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...

The Empire Trilogy (3 books)
  • Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #1)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)

“He likes to humble our foes by making them seem ridiculous. As he said to me the other day, ‘Kill a man, and you cede him honor in the eyes of the gods. Laugh at him and you shame him'.” 3 likes
“You know what they say: ‘Men have throats and daggers have sharp edges'.” 2 likes