Start by marking “Guardian's Key” as Want to Read:
Guardian's Key

Guardian's Key

Guardian's Key tells the dark legend of Crystal Keep. Into this magical fortress, protected by the all-powerful Guardian, comes a young woman searching for her own special magic, and her own self.
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published May 1996 by Berkley Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Guardian's Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardian's Key

Bonnie
Aug 27, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I've already re-read it four or five times since I first picked it up six years ago and I plan to re-read it again. And this is from a girl who very rarely re-reads. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the old she hates him-she loves him trope where the love interest is initially the mysterious bad boy the heroine sees as an antagonist. Plus, the concept of every door opening into another landscape (including one into an amazing library) is wish-fulfillment for me. However, do not ...more
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
After seeing reviews comparing this to the movie Labyrinth, but with a romance, I couldnt wait to read this book. Yes I admit... I ship Sara/Jareth *blushes*

Dara is a daughter of two magicians,but as she had no powers of her own she ran away from home.
She became servant at a castle and fell in love with a young man who is the heir to the kingdom.
They cannot marry though because she lacks magic talent (seems being a commoner isnt too big of an obstacle for marrying,but being magicless is.)

The sto
Jennis Andelin
Sep 09, 2013 Jennis Andelin rated it did not like it
Meh. Wasn't very impressed with this book. The idea was interesting, and it was pretty well written, but it was stupid that she ended up with Vanian. Not that her prince boyfriend at home was anything special (even though she embarked on the whole quest for him in the first place) but Vanian seduces her. He's evil. He has no redeeming qualities, but she falls in love with him because she realizes that the prince at home (can't remember his name for the life of me) doesn't care enough about her ...more
Amanda
Jan 15, 2009 Amanda rated it it was ok
Dara goes to get an answer from the Oracle, but she has to get by Vanion, the latest Guardian to get it. While in the magic castle (no kidding, an ACTUAL magic castle, imagine that?) she winds up finding how the Oracle came to be, what makes the Guardian - plus she rescues people trapped in their own little hells inside the mysterious rooms of the no-kidding-Magic-Castle.

It was okay, but I don't like the thread where Vanion tricks Dara, seduces her and then she falls in love with him. Not that h
Emma
Apr 23, 2014 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I read this book off of a suggestion that it was similar to Ella Enchanted, so I snatched it up and read it hoping to find a fantasy story with a strong, independent female protagonist with just enough romance to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

And it was sorta like that

It was similar in the fact that the main character was female and was written in the first person point of view. She is fairly independent and winds up saving herself or whatever. The setting is the good ol' middl
Tracy
Feb 06, 2014 Tracy rated it it was ok
Wow, time changes perspective! I read this years ago and was never bothered by the shallowness of the characters, or the really ridiculous idea that -

-spoilers-

-she's going to forgive him for being a rapist, and fall in love with him.
What?
The?
Fuck?
All that said, it's still engagingly readable, and well paced.
Kate
Jan 19, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing
I always loved this book and all the author's other stories. I wish she had written more books. Her characters are approachable and yet appropriately foreign. The land is just obscure enough to not be ours but yet relatable enough to make it viable. I love her humor and her characterization.
Tripleguess
Mar 08, 2014 Tripleguess rated it did not like it
"Misunderstood Jerk, Take #579,354." I'm going to go spoiler here --

-spoiler-

he basically rapes the protagonist (you are splitting hairs if you say he didn't -- it's just gross either way) but she goes for him in the end because she feels sorry for him. Lady, you're crazy and there is no way I can identify you.

If he'd been a bit spiteful in the beginning then showed some depth gradually I could have swallowed the basic premise, but using someone like that then coming up with a half-assed excuse
Greymalkin
Feb 10, 2010 Greymalkin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
RogueHireling
Mar 27, 2010 RogueHireling rated it liked it
I would probably give this a two and a half. It took me a really long time to read, I think mainly because I just didn't find it that interesting.
The ideas were interesting as such, but I just dont think the delivery was quite engaging enough.
The characters were somewhat bland mainly because there was no time given to investing the reader into the characters.
Overall it was a fine read, but not a book I couldn't put down.
tatterpunk
Jul 29, 2015 tatterpunk rated it it was ok
Even when I was so in love with Anne Logston's heroines I kept every title possible on my shelf, this one was... difficult to reconcile. I think I read it through at least three times, trying to let Logston persuade me that a "relationship" beginning in trickery and rape can eventually become voluntary, even... sweet?

Yeah, no. In the end, that's a bridge too far.
Jun 26, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
Really good book. It's got a really interesting story line, and it's easy to get drawn into. You might be able to guess the ending, but it's not the most obvious.
Kethry
Kethry rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Brandy
Brandy rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Megan Glass
Megan Glass marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Kandace Dick
Kandace Dick marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Johnny Carruthers
Johnny Carruthers marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Ali Jones
Ali Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Borealowl
Borealowl rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Deborah Durbin
Deborah Durbin rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Mette Skovgaard
Mette Skovgaard marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
God's Eye Galateea
God's Eye Galateea marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Jaylee Draney
Jaylee Draney marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Meril
Meril added it
May 25, 2016
Mia
Mia rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
  • Heroes Adrift (Hero, #3)
  • Temptation (Secret Diaries, #1)
  • The Dragonfly Season
  • The Poison Master
  • The Wizard's Ward (Umbria, #1)
  • The Queen in Winter
  • A Head Full Of Knives
  • Jenny Plague-Bringer (The Paranormals, #4)
  • The True Knight (Warhorse of Esdragon, #3)
  • Sorcerer & Gentleman (Argylle #2)
  • Torn (The Blood Lily Chronicles, #2)
  • Circle at Center (Seven Circles Trilogy, #1)
  • Beast
  • Con Ed
  • Champion of the Rose (Darest, #1)
  • Aeralis (The Frost Chronicles, #5)
  • On Fortune's Wheel (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • Yurara, Vol. 4