Start by marking “Split Heirs” as Want to Read:
Split Heirs

Split Heirs

War and wizardry, dark deeds and derring-do, matters of state and matters of the heart, and a dragon who thinks she's a sheep. . . . This modern fantasy is the ultimate saga of flashing swords, high magic, and hopeless dynamic confusion--an event fans of the genre will not want to miss.
Published July 1st 1993 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Split Heirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Split Heirs

Janet
Jul 13, 2008 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Lost heirs, barbarians, dragons, girl warriors, beheadings, rebels in the greenwood, palace intrigue, it's all here in this joke on epic fantasy. The characters race around bumping into each other and into the plot, until they all gather for a grand finale. My favorite character is Bernice, once a sheep, now a dragon, who realizes that she no longer is going to be eaten by anyone. Quite the opposite, in fact. The humor is sometimes a little fourteen-year-old clever for me, but still fun.
Joanne G.
Apr 08, 2015 Joanne G. rated it really liked it
I hadn't heard of the book before, and I was unfamiliar with the authors, so it was an unexpected treat to find such an amusing satire of the fantasy genre. As I was reading, I kept seeing the characters in a Mel Brooks' a-la-1970s movie. It's a shame he never got his mitts on it. It's broad, silly humor, and I enjoyed the romp.
Nighteye
Oct 26, 2013 Nighteye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like fantasy-parodies
It was a partly a funny book, and I think it's written to be fun and entertaining, but lacked deeper characters and sometimes also plot but it's skillfully written and taking together five totally different lives in unexpected ways to knit it together in the end!
Brendan
Feb 10, 2013 Brendan rated it really liked it
A silly light-hearted romp, From one of my favorite childhood authors.
Susan Skylark
Aug 13, 2014 Susan Skylark rated it liked it
I really enjoy a good spoof of the epic fantasy, but this book was not it. It started out quite well: amusing characters, abundant and ridiculous humor, and a silly, intriguing plot, but alas, like the Old Hydrangean Resistance, it soon grows old, tedious, annoying, and pointless. The best character is a sheep, that in itself should be pause for concern. The humor descends to levels only enjoyed in frat houses and high school locker rooms. The characters, aside from the aforementioned sheep, are ...more
Whitney
Aug 26, 2014 Whitney rated it really liked it
This book was fairly inappropriate, had no character development, had no likable characters to develop, and showed absolutely no respect for any manner of life. Not that I would mind, because the world portrayed is so empty and pointless it seems pretty reasonable to consider death, as bleak as it may be in this book world, as a step up. On the other hand, it was some of the most amusing writing I've ever read. I was laughing out loud back to my phone (where I was reading it) an uncomfortable ...more
Lindsey Duncan
Sep 01, 2010 Lindsey Duncan rated it liked it
Shelves: funny-fantasy
I came into this book with high hopes because Esther Friesner is one of the authors. Unfortunately, while the book is madcap and amusing, it fails on one major count: the humor is so broad and exaggerated - things carried beyond their logical extreme - that it's hard to suspend disbelief or develop any empathy with the characters. That works fine in a short story, but over a novel, it's jarring and makes it difficult to maintain tension.

That said, once into the book, it's entertaining enough to
The Badger
Jul 25, 2016 The Badger rated it it was amazing
I'll be blunt. I hate epic fantasy. However, I apparently LOVE satirical epic fantasy (I say "apparently" because it doesn't seem to be a large genre--at the moment it seems to consist of 1). Anyway, this book is hilarious, and there's always the threat of someone being eaten by wolverines. If you don't find the humor in this book, you're obviously taking life too seriously and should take a break from looking from golems.
Keith
Sep 18, 2010 Keith rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Oonly made it halfway through this one, just couldn't handle the stupidity of most of the characters. Everything seemed to have a ridiculously long title which made reading it a chore. I began skipping paragraphs when I recognized that everything in that paragraph was going to be pointless and irritating. Would fit better for a children's book, but there are many sexual references and such so I'm not sure who this is supposed to be for.
Alice
Mar 16, 2009 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: esther-friesner
Okay, I'm still kind of confused right now, but I'm very entertained. The queen had triplets, which is apparantly a sign of adultry, and sends two of them away to get rid of succession issues. But the nurse, who is blind and likely batty, takes the two boys, leaving only the princcess. Not good for politics, but wonderful for an exciting, funny, and slightly odd story.
Paul
Oct 16, 2007 Paul rated it really liked it
I once wrote a far too long review of this book, but I gushed over it immensely. It's quite funny, quite dark, and quite ironic in that girls pretend to be boys, babies are split up, families have no idea what is what. Watt-Evans and Friesner are a top-notch team, and the book is a quick, enjoyably read that should please anyone that got a kick out of such works as Twelfth Night.
Dan
Apr 23, 2010 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signal
This is fantasy / wacky comedy. Features silly magic, mistaken identity, and a real plot.

Strangely, it was actually a better book than anything that either Lawrence Watt-Evans or Esther Friesner has written individually. Not sure how that worked out.
Salena
Apr 09, 2013 Salena rated it liked it
I adore Watt-Evans work. Really. I've read most of his books, and loved them. This one though fell kind of flat for me. I got what they were going for, but I think it was poorly executed.
Linda
Aug 14, 2014 Linda marked it as abandoned
So bad I'm considering throwing it in the trash instead of donating it back to the book sale where I bought it.
Rich
Nov 24, 2007 Rich rated it it was amazing
A friggin riot, as funny if not funnier than Princess Bride(the movie mind you, didn't like the book).
Greg
Mar 09, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it
satirical sarcastic funny book. If you are looking for a light fantasy novel then give this one a read and chuckle out loud while you do it.
Kiri
Dec 09, 2016 Kiri rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Cindy
Jan 12, 2009 Cindy rated it it was ok
The book description compared this one to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Yeah, except that is extremely funny, while this book, not so much. Didn't bother to finish it.
Ace Boggess
Ace Boggess rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2008
Peter
Peter rated it it was ok
May 02, 2014
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2012
Jared Trent
Jared Trent rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2013
Arlian
Arlian rated it liked it
May 23, 2012
Scott Hatcherson
Scott Hatcherson rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Simon Mark
Simon Mark rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Karissa
Karissa rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Craig Schwabe
Craig Schwabe rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • Witch and Wombat
  • The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight, #2)
  • Mathemagics
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • Glory Lane
  • Prison of Souls (Bard's Tale, #3)
  • The Planet Savers
  • The Books of Great Alta  (Great Alta, #1-2)
  • Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)
  • Dragons of Argonath (Bazil Broketail, #6)
  • Timeshadow Rider
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • Kingdoms of the Night (Anteros, #3)
  • Grunts
  • The Chaos Gate (Bard's Tale, #4)
  • Wizard's Heir (Fanuilh, #2)