Start by marking “A World Full of Monsters” as Want to Read:
A World Full of Monsters

A World Full of Monsters

A long time ago, when my grandparents'
grandparents were growing up...
there weren't any electric lights,
there weren't any cars,
there weren't many big machines...
But there were "monsters!And lucky thing there were, for in that funny, old-fashioned world, monsters really kept things running. They fed the pigs on the farm and put out fires in the city. In school you might h
Published September 1st 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about A World Full of Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World Full of Monsters

Karen
Jul 20, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out last week. This book kind of really just feels like an excuse to draw monsters and people from a past century or two. Somehow, I don't find thinking of odd noises as being very reassuring. But great illustrations!
Mattathias Westwood
A very strange book. It starts at a tale about "the old days"-- you know, when grandma walked uphill both ways to school, and monsters were omnipresent, benevolent, upstanding members of society. At the end, it swerves to its true purpose-- to convince children not to fear the monster under the bed, because he's probably just cleaning up dust bunnies or re-waxing the floor.

Marc Brown's illustrations are clever, with some great 19th century detail, but the monsters are disappointingly monotonous
Heidi-Marie
I did not expect this to be a "lesson book." But it is very well done to help children with fears--especially fear of monsters (or the dark). Classic Marc Brown illustrations which make the monsters look friendly and fun. I like how they are involved in everything. It's a fun book just to look at.

8/3/10 & 8/5/10 I think this went well. Small group on Thu., but both seemed to be fine with it. Some kids even said they were afraid of monsters or other things. So I hope the ending helped out.
Casey
Sep 14, 2012 Casey rated it really liked it
Hannah read this book to us in class today, it was adorabele Could be read to kids afraid of those 'bumps in the night' to show that whatever spooks they think up are nice! I enjoyed it, and ended up punching the book on the page that describes how monsters aren't around very much anymore (there was on in the window of a building and I got him!)

Really enjoyed, would be a good book to have in a classroom.
Hannah Sheffield

This book would be great for primary grades. The pictures are very bright and colorful. This book could be good for story time or maybe even Halloween sense it is about monsters.
Marilou Goodwin
Marilou Goodwin rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2011
Jade Ozawa
Jade Ozawa rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Kandice Nelson
Kandice Nelson rated it really liked it
May 23, 2013
Cherie
Cherie rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2014
Pam McMillan
Pam McMillan rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Shantel
Shantel rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Dimity
Dimity rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2013
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2012
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Hannah Thill
Hannah Thill rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2009
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2014
J Scotland
J Scotland rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
GoldfiKids
GoldfiKids rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2010
Laila
Laila rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Necia
Necia rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Joanne Brandsma
Joanne Brandsma rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Veronique Stravato
Veronique Stravato rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Cmeiss330
Cmeiss330 rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2017
Rosane Goldhammer
Rosane Goldhammer rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2011