Start by marking “Bones of the Past (Arhel, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bones of the Past (Arhel, #2)

Bones of the Past (Arhel #2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The City of the First Folk was an Archaeological Find -- and a Lurking HorrorNever dig up the bones of the past -- because the past never dies, and it resents being buried.... A tiny band of outcast children.... A young girl marked for sacrifice.... An ancient scholar.... A head-hunting mage.... An insane historian.... And the discovery of a lost city that brings them all ...more
Published March 1st 1993 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Bones of the Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones of the Past

Paula
The world Holly Lisle's built in this trilogy is massive, complete with clashing cultures, religions, and languages--which is exactly the type of conflict I love. It made the story a little hard to follow at first (which I may have been able to prevent if I'd realized there's an appendix; but I didn't, because I bought the book on kindle, which I find harder to navigate than a book's physical pages). Anyway, despite my initial confusion, I was hooked right away, and it only took me a few chapter ...more
J.T.
Bones of the Past is the second book in Holly Lisle's Arhel fantasy series, and it stands well on its own. Familiar characters from the first book Fire in the Mist (Faia, Medwind, Nokar) along with some new ones (Roba, Kirtha) set out on a quest to discover the city of the First Folk in the treacherous Wen Jungles. But little do they know that by unearthing the bones of the past, they are unleashing an ancient evil.

Let me begin with what I liked about this book.
-The plotting and characterizatio
Laura of Lurking
A fantastic second novel. While this does have a predecessor and some of the events from that have shaped the story, this novel is set several years after the first and has a largely different setting so it could be read as a stand alone.

This novel is largely set in the forests, with tribes who worship trees, monsters, outcasts as well as a few character from the first novel thrown in. it is a great read, and also touches on many social issues that ourselves have. For example each group believe
Teemu
A little slow to start but from around half way through, when all character end up together, really turns interesting.
Sean Talbot
while this book was written well it seemed to lack something which made the characters so special
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I used to read all of Ms. Lisle's books. This was an odd one. The first one was a bit over the top with the man hating. This is was a decent follow up I guess.
AndrewP
Apparently a sequel, but worked as a stand alone novel and I did not know until later that it was a follow up book.
Anthea Strezze
Review to be added later.
Wilda
Wilda marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
D Cam
D Cam marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Tina Campbell
Tina Campbell marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Ollivier
Ollivier marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Kurt
Kurt marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Robert Lorenz
Robert Lorenz marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • Glenraven (Glenraven, #1)
  • Finders-Seekers (Ghatti's Tale, #1)
  • Guilt-Edged Ivory (Ivory, #3)
  • The Calling of the Three
  • The Prince of Ill Luck (Warhorse of Esdragon, #1)
  • The Otherworld (SERRAted Edge, #2-3)
  • Dragondoom
  • Twisting the Rope (Black Dragon, #2)
  • Worlds of the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • The Unicorn Creed (Argonian #2)
  • Down Among the Dead Men (Forest Kingdom, #3)
Holly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won her the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She has just published WARPAINT, the second stand-alone novel in her Cadence Drake series.

Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer…which is t
More about Holly Lisle...

Arhel (3 books)
  • Fire in the Mist (Arhel, #1)
  • Mind of the Magic (Arhel, #3)
The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1) Diplomacy of Wolves (The Secret Texts, #1) Fire in the Mist (Arhel, #1) Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2) The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)