Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,496,021 ratings  ·  23,506 reviews
For most children, summer vacation is something to look forward to. But not for our 13-year-old hero, who's forced to spend his summers with an aunt, uncle, and cousin who detest him. The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous ba ...more
Published (first published July 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, please sign up.

Cmarks14
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
De Wet Time travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy…moreTime travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy to just let things go without over analyzing them. Not much point spoiling my enjoyment of a book by trying to do science and logic on fictional magic.(less)

Inge
This is a Weasley appreciation post.

Zoë (readbyzoe)
Yup yup yup I love this book
Chris
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as Crookshanks fan fiction.

Crookshanks swished his tail back and forth as he crept up the stairs to the boys' bedrooms. He knew the rat wasn't what it was pretending to
Wil Wheaton
I'm beginning to wonder if there will ever be a Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher who is just a teacher.
Raeleen Lemay
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

OH MAN. THIS BOOK IS SO MY FAVORITE.

The phone conversation at the beginning between Ron and Uncle Vernon was PRICELESS. I wish so much that that scene had been in the movie.

I was so into reading this book that I failed to take notes, so I don't have many specifics to add except that I love how Crookshanks was basically Sirius's secret agent spy cat friend and I LOVE THAT.

Also, this book demonstrated some very REAL aspects of school. For example,
Saniya
Of-course, this book was EPIC! =D
Its Harry Potter now. It has to be epic! *Rolling eyes but smiling widely* xD

Kiki
Literally one of the best books I've ever read. I was chained to it for two days. I cried and laughed and yelled SHIT when all of the action went down.

I'm such a peasant for judging this series before I had read it. I read the first two and half of this one when I was about 10, before reading was cool, before I had the attention span that reading requires (I know these are kids' books but I was a particularly distracted child). I did not know, Mother Rowling. Forgive my sin, and all the times wh
Brad
I know that many of you out there haven't gotten around to reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Much like Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch and Lucifer's worldwide bestseller The Holy Bible, you own a copy, it gathers dust, but its never been read. You've been thinking about it, though. You see it there on the shelf and you wonder, "Is this book for me?"

The following checklist will tell you all you need to know about Harry Potter and the Prisoner
pinkgal
It was September 1998; the third Harry Potter book had just been released. Pottermania? What's that? It was still unknown except to a vast population of younglings who'd read it... and I fell in love. Oh, how I fell in love. I fell in love with the poor, starved-for-affection, later known to be a twit Harry. I fell in love with the pretentious know-it-all Hermione. I fell in love with the awkward, grew-up-in-his-brother's-shadows Ron... and most of all? I fell in love with the snarky, unplatable ...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★

Etnik
description

I don't understand why they use time travel in this one,and not in the other books.That would have made things a lot easier.

description
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
5 Expecto Patronum stars!

I grew up with Harry Potter. Yes, I am that generation. I was a little bit younger than 11 when the books were released, and when the final book was published I had just graduated high school. I'm also the same age as Daniel Radcliffe and he's only older than me by less than a month. I also have a deathly hallows bumper sticker on my car. So, I think it's safe to say that this series has had a profound effect on me, to the point where I am still a little bit bitter tha
Mohammed Arabey
عندما قرأت هذا الجزء...كنت متخوفا من ان اجد احداث مشابهه للجزئين السابقين..ولكني كنت مخطئا

كلب اسود غريب يظهر لهاري وحده يسبب له الفزع, انه نذير الشؤم

يبدأ هاري عامه الدراسي باغرب الاحداث..منها مقابله مع وزير السحر الذي يقدم استثناء خاص لهاري غير متوقع

مجرم وقاتل هارب من ازبكان..له ماض سئ مع عائله هاري بوتر..ينجح في التسلل للمدرسه مما يسبب فزعا كبيرا

لم يستطع احد الامساك به بالرغم من حراسة المدرسه بحراس افظع من المجرمين نفسهم..يبثون الرعب في التلاميذ..بالاخص هاري

مدرس الدفاع ضد السحر الاسود بالرغم م
Navessa

Still five stars. Love this so much. Can't review. Couldn't even take notes. Watched the movie immediately after finishing. Need next book. Wish I lived in this world. Damn you, Rowling.

(view spoiler)
Juliana Zapata
Este es hasta ahora mí favorito de la saga, pase por todos los sentimientos posibles, la final de quidditch lo máximo, Harry me mató de amor, Ron me hizo reír en cada diálogo y Hermione mi favorita de todos los tiempos.

Como siempre, termino de leer estos libros con el corazón lleno de amor y de magia

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Laz
Jan 21, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: magic world lovers
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

Wasn't this epic. Didn't this stun you into silence after reading it.

These are rhetorical. So, don't bother answering because I already know what you'll say. You'll agree with me that this is by far the best Harry Potter novel, and I'll add that I just couldn't put it down, nor did I want to.

This was great, this was stunning, this was grand. I loved it so much. This was a tad bit scary too, considering the previous two novels. I think Harry is growing
Maxwell
Reread November 2014

The third film is my favorite of the series because it's a bit darker than the previous too, and the story gets creepier and moodier with the unfolding of Sirius Black's tale. However, I don't think the third book is my favorite to read. I do love the whole Time-Turner/Inception situation that goes on near the end. And the introduction of Lupin and Black are such great additions to the series (and Buckbeak, but what ever happens to him?).

I'm really enjoying these rereads, an
Carol
Wow! So far this is my favorite book of the series. The set up and execution of this book was flipping amazing! The attention to detail amazes me. Now I understand why so many people adore this series. Usually I'm good at keeping the movie separate from the book, but this time the book was better than the movie. I mean the movie is still amazing in my opinion, but the book definitely holds many more details and background stories. I feel like the story is really taking off! I can't wait to read ...more
Melissa
First reread (2nd time reading overall) 28/12/14 - 29/12/14
I reread this in just one day. And I adored it. I think some of my favourite Harry Potter moments are the deep philosophical discussions between Dumbledore and Harry. I always tear up at those moments. Just wonderful.

Second reread (3rd time reading overall) 08/08/15

Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews)
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban has always been, in my opinion, one of the best books of the series. Even as far as the movies go, I feel that POA is by far the best book to film adaptation out of all 8 movies. Yes Harry Potter and Ron and Hermione are still fairly young in the third book, but I find they have matured quite a bit this time around. They're officially in their teens, and they've already had their fair share of adventures. This time around however, Harry has more to worr ...more
Kate ❣
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars
This book was a lot better than the movie!
Really enjoyed it, and can't wait to finally be able to read Goblet of Fire, its gonna be goooood!!!
There's nothing really more to say because, well, its Harry Potter, and everything's been said 5 billion times over, haha
kristin
Now that I have three of these under my belt, it's time to take a break.

It's not that there's anything wrong with them. On the contrary, they're holding my interest too well.

See, I've got this homework stuff that I'm supposed to be doing instead of reading. But school is so boring all of a sudden, and home life is a bit strained, too, and it's so nice to escape. . .

No, I'm not a tween. I'm nearly thirty years old. But the same general issues still apply to me. This series has come to me at the
Steve
Now this is where Rowling strikes gold! I thought AZKABAN was not only easily the best of first three, but one of the best books I've read in a long time. The storyline is easily the strongest of the first three installments, and for once Voldemort is not the main villain driving the plot, but a renegade supporter who murdered 13 people with a single curse.

What makes Azkaban so interesting is learning about the relationships between James Potter, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, and S
Liz* Fashionably Late

Trust me when I tell you I'm in love with this series. I just can't believe it's been years since I read this and still feels the same. Just like the first time, it was all there. Excitement, surprise, sadness and Sirius. One of my favorite characters of the series.

JK Rowling is a genius. Plot twist and another twist at the end, just in case you were asking for more.

Greg
My Harry Potter Apology

A couple of summers ago I tried to read Harry Potter. I expected to be unimpressed, and I was was. The first two novels in the series are unspectacular. After reading more children's literature recently I've realized that they are fairly standard fair for the kiddie fantasy genre, but that still left me wondering why everyone cared so much about this little nerdling. If I hadn't engrossed myself in books for kids this summer I probably wouldn't have ever gotten decided to
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I loved the first 2 books in this series but this one just swept me completely away! I love the storyline that Ms. Rowling has gifted us with. I watched the movies of some of the books years ago and I liked them but these books!

I want to run outside and scream READ THESE BOOKS! But then I think I'm one of the last people in the universe that hasn't. So I'll be sorta quiet.
P.S. Read these books!

Franco  Santos
Imposible no ponerle cinco estrellas a esta genialidad.

PD: Leer a los dementores me dio escalofríos. Qué horror.
Ademilson Moraes
Well, this is the book that I like the most in the whole series (I've come to notice that I tend to enjoy the third book more than any other in any given series; strange, isn't it?). Rowling keeps the dark tone of the previous book going on, and it's fantastic! That sense of danger waiting in the corner that I became used to while reading The Chamber of Secrets is still there, so every new chapter is a new surprise.

However, there are much more different things that go into this book that make it
Mahdi
خدایا! اون دوره چقدر هیجان داشتیم و چقدر لذت می بردیم از خوندن این مجموعه. شاید یکی از بهترین تجربه های کتابخوانی عمرم باشه. غیر از این مجموعه، خیلی مجموعه های فانتزی مختلفی منتشر شدن (از جمله ارباب حلقه ها، یا گرگ و میش و...) اما من اونا رو نخوندم و نمیدونم اگه میخوندم، همین مقدار ازشون لذت میبردم یا نه. یادمه هر کتاب رو دو روزه تموم میکردم و هزار بار میخوندم... یادمه با هیجان منتظر بودم فیلمش از تلویزیون پخش بشه (که هیچ وقت نشد)... یادمه سعی کردم براش یه "فن فیکشن" بنویسم... همه ی عوالمی که بچ ...more
What's your boggart? 233 763 Aug 31, 2015 07:03PM
Harry Potter: house protection spell in the 3rd book 5 20 Aug 31, 2015 05:35AM
Maybe you want all your stance 1 12 Aug 31, 2015 04:21AM
Find Your Patronus 435 1488 Aug 23, 2015 03:24PM
Harry Potter Read...: Prisoner of Azkaban Discussion 9 6 Aug 19, 2015 06:43PM
Animagus Test 54 227 Aug 19, 2015 11:04AM
  • Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1)
  • A Fúria dos Reis (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #3)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3)
  • The Artemis Fowl Files (Artemis Fowl, #0.5, #1.5)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • Son of the Shadows (Sevenwaters, #2)
  • The Children of Noisy Village
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Polgara the Sorceress
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Over Sea, Under Stone (The Dark is Rising, #1)
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)