Start by marking “Shakespeare's Christmas (A Lily Bard Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare's Christmas (A Lily Bard Mystery, #3)

Shakespeare's Christmas (Lily Bard #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  9,519 ratings  ·  334 reviews
Lily Bard heads home for the holidays.

Even in a sleepy Arkansas town, the holidays can be murder. — Lily Bard is going home for the holidays. More comfortable in baggy sweats than bridesmaid's frills, Lily isn't thrilled about attending her estranged sister's wedding. She has moved to Shakespeare, Arkansas, to start a new life, cleaning houses for a living, trying to forge
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published November 4th 2008 by Berkley (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare's Christmas

Katreniah
Normally, I do my homework, check and see if the book is part of a series, double-check to learn what type of book it is, do some research on the author, but I didn't do any of that for this book, and I won't make that mistake again. I had been given this book, I read the back, and I plowed right into it one day. I didn't even look for the author's name until I was finishing chapter 3, so imagine my surprise when I learned it was Sookie Stackhouse's Charlaine Harris. I'd read the entire Sookie s ...more
Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*)
I enjoyed how the author took Lily out of the small town of Shakespeare and back to her small hometown, the root of her pain and issues, the family members she felt so awkward around. Of course there is a mystery thrown in when she arrives, to be solved amidst family dramas and wedding plans, Jack popping into town to stir up her loins, and Lily again getting uptight and moody if anyone tries to act normal around her.

The parents and sister don't stand out too much, but they were enjoyable writte
Jim
Another good mystery, although the story got a little convoluted & confusing at a couple of points. May have been my fault for not following all the character names closely enough, but there were a fair few. Lily goes back to her home town, so she knows everyone & seems to meet half of them.

This has added depth to Lily's character & I like her more with each page. Very admirable lady. On to the next!
Emily
I've gotten very attached to Lily Bard. It was interesting this time around to see her outside of the Shakespeare setting and interacting with her family. (view spoiler) I like how Lily, even though there seems to be a murder every time she turns around, has gradually started to enjoy life again. She's beginning to ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
I've enjoyed every one of Charlaine Harris' 'Shakespeare' mysteries. These are much darker than her other series with the exception of the 'Harper Connelly' series. If you're expecting anything like her 'Dead' series...don't. But if you like a gritty mystery with a kick-ass heroine with a dark past...you'd be doing yourself a favor to try this series out. These were originally written in the 90s, but have been reprinted in the last couple of years.

Lily has to return to her hometown after all thi
Candice
Lily Bard is much darker than Sookie Stackhouse. I've know that, I figured it out the first few books. But even so, this one gave me nightmares.

I have a sister who is deeply disturbed (I am as well, I just handle it better) by crimes involving children. If you are, this might not be the best book for you.

I have one large issue with this installment ... the hurry up to the end. All the Lily Bard mysteries are quick reads. But mostly the mystery stretches out throughout the book. In this one, the
Sesa38
This was my first book in the Lily Bard series. I was looking for Christmas books so read this out of order. I'm not a huge Charlene Harris fan - I don't care for the vampire series at all- but loved this one. I immediately downloaded and read books 1 and 2 in the series next. The main character is a woman who had been brutally attacked in the past and goes on to learn self defense and get very strong. Because of her experiences, she has as hard time relating to people but is making friends in t ...more
Vickie
This was a perfect-for-me holiday read. Murder and mystery as written by Charlaine Harris. Yep, perfect. And it's still good. Above was written 23 Dec 2008. Read it again as a holiday favorite.
Lauren
Shakespeare's Christmas
4 Stars

Returning home for her sister’s wedding, Lily is dreading the inevitable confrontation with the harsh memories of her past. All this takes a back seat, however, when Lily finds herself enmeshed in a new mystery as her boyfriend, private investigator Jack Leeds, arrives with the troubling news that Lily's soon to be brother-in-law may be a kidnapper.

While Lily is definitely not the most affable of heroines and some readers may find her directness curt and discourteo
Tracy Terry
The third in the Lily Bard/Shakespeare Mystery series. At last a plot that has some substance to it, a whodunit that though the reason why is fairly obvious the perpetrator is less so.

Interesting that the author chose this, the third book in the series, to really explore the aftermath of Lily's assault not just through the eyes of those closest to Lily but also through Lily herself's eyes, though this works ok as a stand alone novel it is because of this that I think the books are probably best
Mira
I have a love/hate thing with Charlaine Harris. While I have come to tire of the relentless damsel in distress that is Sookie Stackhouse, the protagonist of this novel was a strong woman more than capable of taking care of herself. I approve of this heartily.

The pacing of this novel is good, it keeps the interest up and it gives enough clues to the plot that you can keep up. A great relief that there is no magical deus ex machina to save this heroine.

I'm not sure that I'd seek out other books i
Jan C
Kind of interesting. What happens where someone who left home because of neaucoup scandal when she was raped has to go back home when her sister gets married. Plus, boyfriend Jack is working on a case about a girl who was snatched and there are three possible girls in Lily's home town of Bartley who could be it and one of them is her future brother-in-law's daughter. Another belongs to the local minister.

And, of course, once Lily and Jack show up the bodies start falling.

But, oooooooh, the ten
Bridget
Well, this was interesting to me. I had not read any previous books in this series, and frankly, am not interested in any of the author's other series, but this was a book I liked.

Lily Bard lives in Shakespeare, Arkansas, and when the book opens, she is participating in the town's Christmas parade, to promote her cleaning business. Lily is an interesting character, not a cuddly, sweet type, more a defensive, tough type. Which is apparently a result of having survived an abduction, rape, and muti
Audrey Jane
I'm dropping this series because of two reasons: first the lack of mystery/suspense, second Lily Bard.

- There's way too much descriptions and telling what Lily is going to do from Monday to Sunday. It's always the same routine anyway. Than she will eventually find a dead body, speculate while working or making out with Jack and just getting nowhere. All the while the reader exactly knows who did it because the culprit is just so obvious, but only in the last chapter does Lily find out and do we
Cherie
Another great entry in the Lily Bard Mystery series. In this one, Lily travels home during the holidays to be a bridesmaid in her sister's wedding, and of course trouble follows her... as does her sexy new boyfriend Jack! ;)

We learn a bit more about Lily's background in this one as she stays with her family during her homecoming. This is really the first time she's been home since the incident which scarred her both physically and emotionally.

I'm looking forward to reading more of this series!
Meigan
Lily Bard is going back home. With trepidation, of course, but it's unavoidable since her only sister is getting married. It was really good to finally see where exactly Lily comes from, see her with old friends, and finally meet her parents. Naturally, because this is Lily Bard we are talking about, there is murder and mayhem.

Lily's sister, Varena, is finally getting married to her longtime boyfriend, Dill Kingery. Lily is thrust in to all of the pre-wedding happenings, much to her chagrin. Sh
Linda
Lily Bard has returned home at Christmas to be in her sister's wedding. Having lived in Shakespeare, AR for several years, Lily was reluctant to go home because of a violent attack that had ripped her world apart while she was still at home.

While she is trying to help her sister get ready for her big day the local doctor and nurse are murdered. While it does put a bit of a damper on things everyone decides that the wedding must go on. Meanwhile, Lily's boyfriend, Jack Leeds, a private detective
Mike Finn
Don't be misled by the title, "Shakespeare's Christmas" is is not a "Christmas Special" where we get to see the people of the small town of Shakespeare acting as if they were in a remake of "It's A Wonderful Life". It is the darkest, and I think the best, book in the series so far. It's set before, not at Christmas and most of it takes place outside of Shakespeare.

The mystery in "Shakespeare's Christmas" is not a polite "whodunnit" murder under the mistletoe, but the death of a young mother, kni
Ronda
This one has been my favorite so far. It takes place outside the comfort of Lily's new home and life in Shakespeare and finds her revisiting her childhood home for her sister's wedding. Lily doesn't want to be there, but it seems the visit might be cathartic for both her and her family--so long as her brother-in-law to be doesn't turn out to be guilty of kidnapping and murder.
Jeanne
One of the "Lily Bard" series of books by the author of the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries. Better than I expected when I picked it up at a used book sale. The mystery was good and the heroine grew on me. Lily Bard is a damaged woman trying her best to recover emotionally from being the victim of a horrendous kidnap/assault situation which is only brushed on as background in this book. But it does explain why she is so good at karate and her job - she's a housecleaner! - explains how she can strong ...more
Amy
I'd always been very careful with makeup, with my hair; I keep my legs shaved as smooth as a baby's bottom. I like to know what I look like; I like to control it. But I don't want people to turn to look at me, I don't want people to notice me. The jeans and sweats I wore to clean houses, to bathe dogs, to fill some shut-in's grocery list, acted as camouflage. Practical, cheap, camouflage.

People would look at me when I wore my new clothes.

I love, love, love Lily Bard. She is my new favorite myste
Ilean
Shakespear's Christmas was soooo good. I wanted it to keep going when suddenly Lily finally put two and two together and the suspect shows up. Keep it going Charlaine Harris!!!
Also posted to Jen in Bookland

Another great Lily Bard Mystery. I love Lily. She is so much fun to read and see all the things she just happens to find. I also really like Jack and am glad he is still a part of the story. I think Lily and Jack are great together. They both are kind of prickly at times, they both have some dark in their past, they so cute together! They both kind of back off when things get too real and close and it is so much fun to read.

In this story Lily goes back home for her
Nancy
I enjoyed this book. It kept me up a good part of last night. There were a couple of sexual scenes, that didn't last very long. It deals with a young woman, who left her home town, after being raped. She couldn't stand everyone knowing, and showing concern all the time. She worked out, and took karate, in order to protect herself. She goes back to her hometown for her sisters wedding, only to find people murdered. Her boy friend is a private detective, and he comes to town trying to learn, which ...more
Elizabeth
I love this series. I'm getting to know Lily and Jack much better. Their adventures are a little quirky and amusing.
Gloria
Out of curiosity, I tried one of Charlaine Harris's other series. Sookie Stackhouse is so popular and that's the only one I knew. I liked this gutsy character much better than the plethora of beings that inhabit the Stackhouse books. She is a house cleaner, survivor of an attack trauma, girlfriend of a private detective, and not a slouch at discovering secrets herself. In this book, she returns home for her sister's wedding and finds herself uncovering a years old kidnapping. I'll look for the o ...more
Michele
Let me start by saying that reading a Charlaine Harris book is like taking a master class in Deep Point of View and scene setting. Her descriptions are so enveloping that I feel immediately emmerced in wherever she's writing about.

Shakespeare's Christmas - Book #4 in the Lily Bard series finds our main character Lily returning home to the town of Bartley in the Delta, for the first time in almost four years. Lily is attending her sister Varena's Christmas Eve wedding to local pharmacist Dill Kin
Francesca Rock

It was nice to see this side of Lily. Through the previous books Lily represents herself as someone who really dislikes and can't connect with her family. That's not the case in this one. Though, she tries to have us believe she does feel that way, the way she is so protective of her sister proves otherwise.

So obviously I continue to have a love affair with Lily. My favourite kind of character - an awesome lady who doesn't really need any help. Wicked! And her defense of her sister is definite
Kayeb
I truly chuckled with this one....weddings can bring lots of options for the comical.and the serious. This is my favorite of the 2 I have read so far.

Even in a sleepy Arkansas town, the holidays can be murder.

Lily Bard is going home for the holidays. More comfortable in baggy sweats than bridesmaid's frills, Lily isn't thrilled about attending her estranged sister's wedding. She has moved to Shakespeare, Arkansas, to start a new life, cleaning houses for a living, trying to forget the violence t
Can I read the other two books after this? 10 77 Apr 02, 2014 09:13AM
  • A Glimpse of Evil (Psychic Eye Mystery, #8)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Holiday Buzz (Coffeehouse Mystery, #12)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Legend of the Jade Dragon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #2)
  • The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery #2)
  • Hexes and Hemlines (A Witchcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2)
  • Where There's a Witch (A Bewitching Mystery, #5)
  • Kissing Christmas Goodbye (Agatha Raisin, #18)
  • Aunt Dimity's Christmas (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)