Start by marking “Island Life” as Want to Read:
Island Life
Preview

Island Life

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  14 reviews
How do you live without someone who’s been part of your life for twenty years? Jack Holm begins to find out when his wife doesn’t return to their suburban Seattle home after shopping one day. Her absence is not unusual given her flight attendant’s job, and it’s a respite from recent marital discord, so Jack feels relief not worry. But when a day goes by with no word, then ...more
Published March 28th 2008 by Gale Cengage (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Island Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island Life

Diane
I liked the book and would recommend it to anyone who likes suspense. A husband is accused of killing his wife and is arrested for her murder. In the process he loses his friends and seems to be all alone dealing with raising his two children and getting them to all their after school activities and daily life. He attends a singles support group and becomes friends with the only other man that attends. With his help they do some investigating and find some interesting evidence that could change ...more
J
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I DON'T HIDE OR PROMOTE MY REVIEWS.

For me, the most interesting aspect of this book was the author's choice to make his main character the prime suspect in a crime of which he is innocent.

Authorities think that Jack Holm, freshly widowed, killed his wife. Before solving the crime, Jack joins a support group of single parents, who turn out to be mostly divorced or dumped woman who are mad at all males.

Perhaps the "Go On" TV comedy starring the actor who played Chandler in "Fri
Arthur
Slow paced thriller. Not quite as interesting as you may think some books may be with the same material. At first I thought the author merely was borrowing from other books that it seemed so unoriginal. It takes a slow 250 pages before anything makes sense or becomes bearable to read. I’m almost certain as a reader I was to feel sympathy or something but the story dragged for too long in the first two hundred pages to have gotten close to the idea of what to think about the character’s lives. Bu ...more
Kim
Sep 20, 2008 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: murder mystery fans
Recommended to Kim by: picked it up at my local library
I could not put the book down. A man, Jack Holm, wishes his wife was gone (dead). "Be careful what you wish for, right?" Now he finds that he is alone raising two children and the fact that he is the only suspect for her murder. Now, being a single dad, he finds himself trying to keep his family together at all costs. This book had me turning every page wanting to know more. With strong characters, solid plot and slight humor, I would recommend this book. I really enjoy a great mystery and this ...more
Cher
I think this had the potential to be better than it was...it was a bit slow at times and predictable as well. But there was enough story line to keep me reading and suspend my doubts over the sometimes implausible events. This would not be a book that I would highly recommend if you are looking for deep reading or something to keep you on the edge of your seat! But, if you want a fast, easy, no thought type book, this was ok.
Judie Cook
This book takes place on the "island" of Seattle.When a man's wife of 20 years fails to return home after a trip to the mall, her husband isn't worried, at first, since she is a flight attendant and sometimes has unscheduled flights. When he finally reports her missing, he is suspected of foul play.A hard-to-put-down book!
Patti
Interesting book. It was different from others that I have recently read, in that it took the man's point of view in a difficult situation. It showed how the dad handled a family tragedy and how he loved his kids and tried to be there for them. I really liked it.
Marla Sommer
Pretty good murder mystery. After 3 days a husband and father notices that his wife is missing. That is what drew me to this book. I know we can all get caught up in our everyday life, but to not notice that a spouse has been gone for 3 days is pretty sad.
This book is similar to Gone Girl, but not nearly so psychotic. A decent thriller, but one of the most interesting aspects is that it's set on Mercer Island. I would have rated it higher if the author hadn't thrown in a sappy romance towards the end.
Bev Walkling
I really enjoyed this book. Written from the Dad's perspective we also get to sit in on his sessions with his counsellor which appear to have been ongoing since before his wife's disappearance.
Mary Newberg
For 412 pages,it was a quick read, which I like.Not gruesome at all which is a nice change. I didn't want to put it down.
Dan
Formulaic beach read. Picked it up because it was set in the Northwest. Not much to recommend it.
Shannon Coates
Not bad for less than $2.
Cecilia Thurston
Cecilia Thurston marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Donna Lubore
Donna Lubore marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Brenda Benoit
Brenda Benoit marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
teresa cooper
teresa cooper marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Brooke
Brooke added it
Oct 08, 2014
Constantine
Constantine marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael W. Sherer is the Thriller Award-nominated, best-selling author of Night Blind, the first in the Seattle-based Blake Sanders thriller series, which also was named a best book of 2012 by The Examiner’s “Miami Books.” Night Tide, the second in the series, was released in September, 2013, on Kindle and in print. His other books include six novels in the award-winning Emerson Ward mystery serie ...more
More about Michael W. Sherer...
Night Blind (Blake Sanders, #1) Night Tide (Blake Sanders #2) Night Drop (Blake Sanders #3) Death on a Budget Death Is No Bargain (Emerson Ward Mystery)