Start by marking “Best Friends (Best Friends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Best Friends (Best Friends, #1)

Best Friends (Best Friends #1)

A story of friendship, for the upper bracket of this age group, as an American girl and a French girl share a year of family and school adventure in Seattle. Suzie Green is an outspoken, energetic, normal sort of American girl, eleven years old, and living with her mother, a widow and teacher. Then the Langdons, father and French-born daughter, move into the neighborhood. ...more
Published 1955 by J.B. Lippincott Company

Dorothy
Apr 29, 2012 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child and spent years trying to track it down for my own children (who are now grown). It frustrates me that this book has never been offered for publication as I think it would do very well.

Lisa Kleppek
Jan 20, 2014 Lisa Kleppek rated it it was amazing
I loved this series when I was in elementary school and have looked for it as an adult. It is really a shame they didn't republish it.
Christine
Dec 08, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls over 10
Recommended to Christine by: I read tons of American books for girls translated by Schneider
This is the first book in a trilogy followed by "Best Friends in Summer" when the two girls go to a ranch to learn horseback riding. The last part includes a girl from Hawaii (Best Friends at School).
Amanda
Sep 06, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommendations
This is my mothers favorite book that she read as a child and says she has read it at least five times. And will probably read it again some time. Which is funny because she is no a big reader in the first place.
Linda Marie
Sep 09, 2012 Linda Marie rated it it was amazing
Read the Best Friends trilogy in grade school. Loved them. Been trying to locate them for my granddaughters. All are selling for extreme prices.
Marti Wade
Though Mary Bard's books for children have been out of print for many years, I have a copy of another volume in this series, kept from childhood... though now I'm in my 40's. There's nothing like an old book, is there? So I seized the opportunity to read this one, returned to print. As Nancy Pearl says in her foreword, the best children's book may be those in which you can both find yourself and lose yourself.
Diane
I received this through the Goodreads Giveaway program. I can't wait to read it and share it with my two granddaughters. I'm wondering if it being published in 1955 will detract from their enjoyment, or understanding, of the plot...

January 2, 2016; I enjoyed this book and there were only a couple references that would need to be explained to young girls of today... record players and the references to the war.

It was fun watching the girls become closer, enough that they were able to disagree wit
Mary Platt
This was one of my favorite books as a child! I would check it out from the library over and over. Same thing for Best Friends in Summer. While Googling this title the other day I discovered a third book, Best Friends at School. Apparently, my local library did not have that book!! I also discovered there are copies of Best Friends in Summer for sale from $90.00 up to $498.00! There were no copies of Best Friends at School available for sale :-(

If you want to read Best Friends again, you can bu
Gayle
Oct 29, 2015 Gayle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first I have heard of this book. It is a story of 2 young girls who become friends and neighbors and their experience with school and a group of girls who are mean. How they handle the mean group (the Select Seven) is in a way that shows the Select Seven how silly they as a group are being and that it's OK not to be mean to people. I see that there are a couple of other books about Suzie and Co Co and I plan to see if I can find those to read also.
This is a great story for girls or
Jennifer Goins
Nov 03, 2015 Jennifer Goins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow what a book just got done reading the book called Best Friends by the author Mary Bard. I won this book from Goodreads Frist Read. deep down there is a kid in everyone of us this is a good book for your kids to read. I would have to give this a 5 star rating and would recommend this book for everyone to read. thank you to Goodreads Frist Read and to the author Mary Bard for this book. can't wait to read more from this author.
Shelley
May 21, 2014 Shelley rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy I finally discovered the author of one of my most favorite books! I must have read this at least a dozen times as a very lonely little girl. I sure would love to be able to read it again. Does anyone know how to find it?
Joanna
Apr 27, 2015 Joanna rated it it was amazing
The five stars are what I would have given this book in the fourth grade. It was one of my very favorites and I read it more than once. I was thrilled when my daughter found it in a used book store. It still is fun to read, although not my usual thing. Definitely not Newbery material.
Jill Therese
Mar 15, 2015 Jill Therese rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-loved-child
Loved the pranks and friendships.
Sherry
a great YA book...enjoyed reading it
Verdi
Jan 30, 2016 Verdi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Happy that one of my favorite childhood books has been republished. Reading it again has brought back many happy memories of this story and my best friend from childhood."
Sarah Ozcandarli
Sarah Ozcandarli rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2017
Gayle Anderson
Gayle Anderson rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Christine Mathieu
Christine Mathieu rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
25alex94
25alex94 rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
Shelley Crompton
Shelley Crompton rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2016
Jeannette
Jeannette rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2009
Nerina
Nerina rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2013
Monika Netolická
Monika Netolická rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2013
Barbara Ruh
Barbara Ruh rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Oolookitty
Oolookitty rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Bkeels
Bkeels rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2011
Veja Kairos
Veja Kairos rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Romana
Romana rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2013
  • Two Are Better Than One
  • E=mc², mon amour
  • Lavender-Green Magic (The Magic Series, #5)
  • The Late Great Me
  • Ginnie and Geneva (Ginnie and Geneva, #1)
  • Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus
  • O Ye Jigs and Juleps!
  • From Anna
  • Summer Begins (The Callahan Cousins, #1)
  • Jumping to Confusions
  • Little Witch
  • Bake It Like You Mean It: Gorgeous Cakes from Inside Out
  • Kalle Blomquist, Eva Lotte und Rasmus
  • Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • The Secret of Spiggy Holes (The Secret Series, #2)
  • Don't Feed the Boy
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates, #1)
  • The Darkness Dwellers (Kiki Strike, #3)
The eldest daughter of a mining engineer, Mary Bard moved frequently as a child, owing to her father's work. She went to kindergarten in Mexico City, first grade in New York, and second grade in Colorado. She attended college at the University of Washington, in Seattle, married a doctor, and eventually settled on Vashon Island, near Seattle. She had three daughters, and was active as a Brownie tro ...more
More about Mary Bard...

Best Friends (3 books)
  • Best Friends in Summer (Best Friends, #2)
  • Best Friends at School (Best Friends, #3)