Start by marking “The Ripening Sun” as Want to Read:
The Ripening Sun

The Ripening Sun

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Patricia Atkinson gave up her day job to buy a small winery in France. After a disastrous beginning she triumphed -- with world-renowned wines.
Published April 7th 2003 by Ted Smart (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Ripening Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ripening Sun

Velvetink
Starts off a bit stiff, but you grow to like Patricia, and learn a hell of a lot about wines and growing vines than you will ever need. Inspirational and also a little sad at the end.

1 of 18 books for $10 today 5.12.2012
Veronica
"One woman and the creation of a vineyard". Oh no, not another book about Brits moving to France to live their dream! But this one really does stand out from the crowd -- unlike the mediocre Virgile's Vineyard, this book is definitely worth reading.

Curiously, I remember seeing Patricia Atkinson in a programme on Channel 4 in about 1993 -- one of the first programmes of that type. She and her husband had moved to Bergerac to live in a beautiful old house and grow vines. But within months the husb
Jamie
This book is about a British woman who, along with her husband, buys a small vineyard in France. She herself has no interest in running the vineyard and doesn't speak French. Her husband does. Then her husband gets a debilitating illness and goes back to Britain. She has to stay on as all their assets are invested in this vineyard. The book was presented to me as a fantasy book -- who hasn't had the move to France fantasy where you totally immerse yourself in French food and culture. But, I felt ...more
Judy
This book was extraordinary. The story of anyone who makes a success of a business venture is good material and will usually engage readers. Patricia Atkinson's journey to success is remarkable because she makes a go of a dream which wasn't even hers to begin with; husband James has high hopes of buying a vineyard and making and selling wine. When ill health prevents him from working on the project and forces his return from the Dordogne to London, Patricia steps in and takes over the reins. She ...more
Sue Gannon
I never before appreciated how much goes into making wine, especially when you grow your own grapes as does Patricia Atkinson. So well written that I felt as though I was working alongside her. Her French neighbors and friends were easy to know and like. The only missing piece was that the reader couldn't know her husband who after all got her into this adventure but since the book is autobiographical, this was obviously to respect his privacy, an admirable act.
Catherine Daly
An essential read for anyone dreaming of setting up a vineyard and escaping the rat-race![return]Atkinson turned vigneron by chance when financial necessity turned her holiday hideaway into the only way she had of making a living. She takes the reader through the highs and lows of making her enterprise work.[return]A great read for anyone who goes on holiday to this part of France because you can buy her wines (prize-winning) in the local supermarkets and good wineshops
Andrea
I really liked this book. It was a little difficult at times because it has french language of which I know pretty much nothing of. I gained a lot of insight from this book. There is a lot of technical writing in regard to starting and running an independent vineyard so it does sometimes stretch the mind. What I really enjoyed is the relationships developed and the camaraderie enjoyed by the close knit group of people.
Judy
What a lovely story! Inspiring, moving and very enjoyable. Lots of detail on winemaking but written in an interesting, involving way that made me picture everything and imagine what it was like to be there.
I don't know how the author found time to write the story!!
Marge Levy
I tried very hard to like this book. It is interesting to know how they grow/harvest grapes, but the book was quite dry (no pun intended) and not much emotion in it. Only made it through the first third of the book, then passed it along to a wine connoisseur!
Amira Norris
A fascinating and well written story. The depth of information she provides on wine making is immense. But the story is repetitive lacks human depth and leaves you melancholy at the end. Details of her relationship with her husband it totally absent.
Mary Roberts
I never realized how really hard it is to grow and vintage wine! While the book gets a little repetitious towards the end, it is like a travelogue putting you in the French countryside and breathing the air!
Jane Campbell
Great woman, great story , my husband loved it and he is not a reader - but loved learning about how to run a vineyard. I loved reading about her dedication and persistence.
Michael Corcoran
I'm always a big fan of books that take you places. This book paints a beautiful portrait of wine country.
Vivienne Mackie
I Loved this book---she is very honest about all the ups and downs in her new endeavor. We also learn a lot about actually trying to run a vineyard, which we found fascinating
Jeanne
Wonderful story about an English women's survival in France and her struggle to create and keep her vineyard.
Mic
This book is pretty boring. I'm just reading it to get an idea of how large wineries operate.
Roberta
OK, not great. Note to self: Never buy a vineyard and never marry an Englishman.
Patty Defore ladd
Patty Defore ladd marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Carrie Siggins
Carrie Siggins marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Tanya
Tanya added it
Aug 21, 2014
Dan Goodall
Dan Goodall marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
La Belle Saison Great Expectations (Children's Classics) Tom Jones (Stories to Remember) Harry's Twin (Ranger Readers, Level 2) The Flight of the Feathered Serpent