Start by marking “The Second Wives Club” as Want to Read:
The Second Wives Club

The Second Wives Club

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  707 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
It’s Ex-Wives versus Next Wives in this latest novel from bestselling author Jane Moore—a sexy tale of modern (re)marriage, packed with razor-sharp wit and high-stakes drama.

It’s Alison’s wedding and she and her groom, Luca, have just exchanged vows and are preparing to cap off their perfect day at the reception. But before the champagne even hits the crystal stemware, Luc
Published June 6th 2006 by Broadway (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Wives Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Wives Club

Gina
Jul 27, 2012 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Ugh. I was a huge fan of Olivia Goldsmith's First Wives Club and even though this is written by a different author, thought it might be a fun tale of the other side of the coin. I couldn't have been more wrong. Four vapid, self-absorbed women who, each in their own way, cut a married man from the herd and roped him in through deceit and sexual conquest, get together once a month to kvetch about the first wives and whine. This read like a bad soap opera with none of the women experiencing any re
Marcy
Jun 12, 2015 Marcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to rate this somewhere between a 3 and a 4. This was a pretty fast read and an enjoyable one (at least, when I wasn't wanting to punch husbands on behalf of women who were taking too much crap from them).

It was interesting that I read this so closely after finishing "Stepmonster" because a lot of issues discussed in that book came up in this one, and quite naturally, not in any sort of forced way. I suppose that makes sense in a book about second wives, many of whom are dealing with iss
Artur
Jan 12, 2015 Artur rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Plusspoolega raamat, päris kindlasti, sest enamike naistekatega, seda see raamat on, ma lõpuni ei jõua. Seepärast ei oska ma ka öelda, kas see on tüüpilise lõpplahendusega naistekas, kuid mind igal juhul üllatas, mitte 100% positiivne lõpp. Võib-olla 90% positiivne.
Iseenesest on see raamat suunatud ilmselt keskmisele või veidi üle keskmise sissetulekuga ja pigem iseseisvatele naistele, tegelaste järgi otsustades. Tõenäoliselt on autor raamatusse toppinud sisse ka soovitusi, kuidas naised võiksi
Stephanie Moran
Apr 15, 2016 Stephanie Moran rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2016
Quick read.
Moral of the story - Second wives whole stole their husbands from their first wife will suffer the consequences.

Basically, Moore uses the same type of idea as the First Wives Club by Olivia Goldsmith. Moore is definitely a better writer than Goldsmith and thus produces a better storyline (no in-your-face stereotypes and limited product name drops). Basically, four well-off second wives have monthly or so meeting to gossip about their lives - basically their troubles with their husban
Marisa
Jun 19, 2014 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying, I really enjoy when a cheater is cheated on, and feels all the terrible complex feelings of being betrayed by the one person you should be able to trust. I know some don't deserve being treated badly but those relationships should come to an end before the need to bring others into the relationship in order for them to leave. With that said, sorry for the melodrama, hehehe just voicing an opinion.

Back to the book, I really didn't think I would like it as much as I did, d
Krystal
Jun 24, 2007 Krystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
I loved this book. I was bored with my 5 other reads at the moment, some adult ADD or something, and picked this up last night. I just finished the book. I was suprised at how much I enjoyed it, the previous two books by this author not really being that exemplary (Love @ First Site, and Fourplay ), though written well enough.
The premise is kinda of explained by the title. Women who have married into the second wives title. Its the relationships That Allison, Fiona, Susan, and Julia have with t
Dianna Shimizu
Apr 12, 2016 Dianna Shimizu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, tongue-in-cheek book, although I'm sure the problems second wives encounter are very real. You really got to care about all of the characters and root for them to come out on top.
Rebecca
four women in different stages of being 2nd wives. some situtations i didn't get (women moves in with a man who she was friends with to help take care of his kids after his wife dies? she takes care of the kids (not even hers!) and has sex with the man. totally does not make sense to me) and some where just plain out annoying (man keeps new wife away from his small children because ex-wife is insane and keeps threatning to take away kids if spent any time near new wife. seriously, who would put ...more
Millie
Nov 18, 2014 Millie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, endearing and unexpected. A great book, even for someone who's never been married. Light hearted, but still full of undying messages of married life
Goldenwattle
A story about vapid women with little purpose in their lives beyond marriage and home. Nonentities in themselves, they live life through their husbands. They meet regularly for what they call “the second wives club”, to talk about said marriages and home life. The story is set now, but the world it portrays is old fashioned in outlook – white picket fences and the woman as homemaker – with an overlay of modem features such as IVF. At the end of the story one of them – Julia – does break the moul ...more
Lori Verni-Fogarsi
Jan 02, 2012 Lori Verni-Fogarsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, married, chick lit
I enjoyed this novel. As a "second wife" myself, I could appreciate some of the situations, and it was written with wit and humor while still encompassing the emotional issues that went on with the characters.

The realistic side of me (who I have a hard time letting go of) would have enjoyed this more if some/any of the "Second Wives" had themselves been married before... there could have been further depth to the story if they'd had their own baggage brought to the marriage, as is so often the c
I MOVED ACCOUNTS NOW AT PLLUMSAUCE
You like Desperate Housewives? THAN YOU'LL LIKE THIS!
Kirsty
Mar 05, 2008 Kirsty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by this author and am impressed. The plot is strong and believable, and the characters are real - I found myself really sympathising with them. The author writes very well and the relationships between the characters and their various step-families are complex and entertaining. I'm with Krystal (fellow reviewer) when she says she ended up liking the bitchy character the most. Julie is completely misunderstood and underneath all her bravado is just the same as the ...more
Della Curtis
Jan 26, 2014 Della Curtis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended as an entertaining page turner! I could not put it down...I read till the last page with a sigh of satisfaction!
Sarah H
Mar 20, 2016 Sarah H rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was all snarky and totally mean spirited without any humor. I guess I was expecting something like First Wives Club by Olivia Goldsmith. Not at all. Pass.
Sue
Oct 05, 2014 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Sadly predictable
Margaret Konecsni
OK, NONE of the first wives could be considered saints; in fact, they could be downright demonic! This is the anti-"First Wives Club". It was an EXCELLENT read! The 16-year-old stepson from hell turned into the perfect big brother by the end; the Italian Stallion wasn't all he was cracked up to be; the self-proclaimed trophy wife learns how to stand on her own; and the girlfriend living in the shadow of her deceased predecesor knows she is her own woman and not a replacement wife and mommy.
Saskia
May 23, 2012 Saskia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nadat ik het boek Alles of niets van Jane Moore gelezen had en helemaal fantastisch vond, was ik erg benieuwd naar de overige boeken van Jane Moore. Het ex-complex kon ik lenen van een vriendin en ik moet zeggen ook dit boek leest weer heerlijk vlot. Hoewel de personages wat oppervlakkig bleven vond ik dit toch geen standaard chicklit, het boek heeft toch wel meer diepgang. Dit boek kan wat mij betreft niet tippen aan Alles of niets maar is toch zeker wel de moeite van het lezen waard.
Ana Simonovska
Feb 13, 2014 Ana Simonovska rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read!! I really enjoyed it:)
Antonella
Apr 22, 2014 Antonella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I'm not a second wife!
Brianne
Jan 28, 2014 Brianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and witty.
Dana
Aug 14, 2009 Dana rated it liked it
As with most chick lit, this book had a predictable storyline and ending, but with just enough plot twist and substance to keep you interested. It's definitely one of the better chick-lit books I've read in awhile.

Best quotes: "If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cat...if I had one."

"Men..in their world, growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Bianca
Mar 20, 2013 Bianca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main characters are a group of ladies who happen to not be the first choice of their husbants. The previous marriages of their husbands trouble their lives, and the club is a place were these wives meet and tell their frustrations and fears, trying to find solutions for various problems created by their precursors. A very easy book to go and full of humor.
Virginia
Jun 03, 2013 Virginia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fine for a summer read (one star is entirely because it's set in England). I think three things give you an idea of what kind of book you're getting into:
1) There's an offer on the cover to get 3 issues of Cosmopolitan for 99p
2) Sharon Osbourne proclaims the book "A fabulous read!"
3) It's the antithesis and unrelated to the film "The First Wives Club"
Dec 01, 2008 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most books with several main characters, the switching between each of their stories was a little confusing, especially at first before I got everyone straight. It seemed very realistic, which was reassuring. Sad in a few parts, and not a happy ending for everyone, but that's reality. A little more graphic than necessary in parts. Overall a good read.
Esmeralda
Sep 02, 2010 Esmeralda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The book cover tells a tale of vapid female rivalry. The stories inside are just a little more involved than the covers would suggest. Four lady leads are second wives, under different circumstances, going about daily struggles. The conflicts presented had potential to be explored but were cut short by a mini series dramatic pace.
Ruth Anne
Oct 11, 2008 Ruth Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The only thing I wasn't so crazy about was the bits and pieces of "romance". I don't enjoy Harlequin Romance type stuff with sentences like, "He was hard and throbbing as he penetrated her..." There are just a few of those moments in the book. Overall though, I really enjoyed it.
Claire
Feb 08, 2009 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
After the disappointment of "Bleeding Kansas", I snagged this one from the Bargain Books section at WU's B&N. I needed something funny & hopefully snarky...& it didn't disappoint. Good, somewhat mindless reading that actually had a little depth, particularly in regard to women's issues.
Elena
Aug 03, 2010 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay read--take it to the beach if you need something quick and kind of mindless. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't as funny as I'd hoped. Actually, I was appalled at the behavior of most of the 2nd wives (and how they got to be the seconds)!!! But karma always has it's way!
  • The Men I Didn't Marry