Start by marking “King's Sacrifice (Star of the Guardians, #3)” as Want to Read:
King's Sacrifice (Star of the Guardians, #3)

King's Sacrifice (Star of the Guardians #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,076 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The spellbinding conclusion to the star-spanning saga of adventure and intrigue. At the end of King's Test, Sagan--the man who overthrew Dion's father--pledged his allegiance to Dion as the new king. Now, Dion battles alien and human enemies, and must give up both his lover and one of his men as he learns what it truly means to be king.
Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Published October 1st 1991 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about King's Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King's Sacrifice

One of my all time favorite books and one of my Top 5 Book Series!
I read the Star of the Guardians trilogy for the first time when I was 17 years old - I had NO idea how much it subtly introduced new ideas into my life.

The book list that one of the main characters, Maigrey, works through in part of the book, is one of the reasons I went on to become a book reader myself - Weiss used Sci Fi to open my mind to the world of books out there!

To this day, Charles Dickens is one of my favourite authors... not because he was one of Maigrey's favourites, I've grown to
This was a fine conclusion to a good trilogy. I like it when authors can put a definite end to a story.

I normally associate these authors with fantasy, but this is a really fun space opera trilogy. A bit depressing, though. Still, lots of action with blood swords & blood space ships - only those of a specific breeding or something can operate these super weapons. If you liked Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series, you'd probably like this which predates it, although only by a decade or so, as
If you like space opera at all, you have got to try this series. It is pretty much amazing!

Sagan and the priest Daniel go to the former Academy to meet with Sagan's father, who is dying. Sagan has a feeling that he walking into a trap. Meanwhile, Dion wants to be king, but in order to become king, he finds that he must make the ultimate sacrifice.

I thought this series was out of print, but I recently found it for sale in the Kindle store. I was so excited to find it available. When you reach th
Good, but really slowed down toward the ending. RIP Sparafucile.
Finished as part of the #tbrtakedown readathon.
Alexander Draganov
Great ideas and setting, painfully slow-moving plot. Kinda like book one really - the second one deceived me that there is a vast improvement in the series, but alas, we were back with the infodump for every freaking episodic character and zero action policy. Not for me!
This book is the reason to read the whole series. Its gripping.
Still not what I would call a happy story, it being an exercise in everyone losing, but I found it quite compelling.
This was the best of the trilogy, but still felt like a mediocre book. I never felt like I connected with or cared for the characters.
So-so. I could not quite get into the groove of this story. Well-written but not my cup of tea.
Star of the Guardians
Matthew Sutton
good conclusion to the story.
I enjoy Weis's writing.
(see book 1)
Laura MacAlevy Vance
Laura MacAlevy Vance marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Ibrahim Mahlıçlı
Ibrahim Mahlıçlı marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Andrew added it
Sep 30, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Erik marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Steve Sprange
Steve Sprange marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
J. added it
Sep 07, 2015
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • Robotech: The Macross Saga: Doomsday (Robotech #4-6)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • Dark Magic (The Godwars, #2)
  • Alien Blood: Psion / Catspaw (Cat, #1-2)
  • Privateers (Privateers, #1)
  • The Chosen (Raj Whitehall, #6)
  • Fisherman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #4)
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)
  • Freedom Flight (Wing Commander, #1)
  • The Genesis Machine
  • Firestar (Firestar, #1)
  • There Is No Darkness
  • The Return of the Emperor (Sten, #6)
  • Starfarers
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Star of the Guardians (4 books)
  • The Lost King (Star of the Guardians, #1)
  • King's Test (Star of the Guardians, #2)
  • Ghost Legion (Star of the Guardians, #4)
Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1) Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)