Start by marking “Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #1)

Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride: The Manga #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  26,179 Ratings  ·  1,084 Reviews
Fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it’s like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the “flock”—Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel—are just like ordinary kids—only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time... like when Angel, the youngest ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 256 pages
Published January 27th 2009 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about Maximum Ride, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Rosabelle I have a school that I know has it. It's at Piedmont Open IB Middle School has it, but you must be student there otherwise I have no heck of an idea.
Emespre Yes. It's broken down differently, but it follows the same plot.

Lola  Reviewer
Dec 09, 2016 Lola Reviewer rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, action
4.5 stars.

Not very long ago, I read the first novel in the MAXIMUM RIDE series and quite enjoyed the action, characters and story. But, as I was reading it, I kept wondering what it would be like to *see* this series.

So we sadly don’t have a TV show of this, but we do have a manga series (and a badly rated digital movie).

And it’s pretty damn exceptional.

Fortunately, there aren’t huge changes made to the plot at all. It’s still about Angel being kidnapped and Max and her crew going to rescue her,
Robbie
Feb 09, 2009 Robbie rated it really liked it
I have to review this both in relation to the original, and by its own. Tough!

Anyway, the story is still amazing and captivating, so points there.

It's an American original manga that they hired a Korean to write. It is definitely MANGA and not GRAPHIC NOVEL, especially considering it was serialized first in Yen Magazine. However, it does read left to right.

I feel like a little bit of the internal feelings/thinking is lost in this version over the original, which is interesting because many Jap
Lauren Jacobson
Jan 10, 2016 Lauren Jacobson rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of James Patterson
Rating: 1 star.

The only reasons I bought this book was, for one, it was $1 at Goodwill (and in perfect condition), and two, because it had a gorgeous cover. Yes, I have read James Patterson’s book and yes, I very much disliked it. Correction, I hated it. It was stupid and pointless. The character’s choices were senseless. The whole book was terrible and cheap. As for the graphic novel, sure the illustrations were beautiful but it still had the same idiotic characters. (Except for what’s-his-nam
Anzuai
Feb 04, 2012 Anzuai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-sci-fi
Ok, let me first say something: I picked up this book knowing nothing about it, and because I was desperate to read something new. And I absolutely loved it!
This is the manga version of the original book for Young Adults (mainly) by James Patterson, and it's very skillfully transformed into the new format. Excellent art, brilliant dialogue and characters so real you feel they might just jump off the page!
Before I go into a bit more detail, if you're thinking of buying this book then DO IT!! Bu
SHNARK
Dec 14, 2013 SHNARK rated it it was amazing
i did not get what was going on
Aso
Dec 25, 2016 Aso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay, this is interesting.
Margaryta
Wow. That's all I can say about this book.
I had put it on hod at the library and went over to pick it up along with the second book, since I couldn't get my hands on the chapter book yet, and man am I happy that I picked it up.

This series has everything - a refreshing cast of characters that are funny and adventurous and all those other things that other characters lack, and for once, they are realistic, not cliche like Bella and Edward and the whole crappy cast from Twilight is. The art is grea
Nick Guerra
Apr 03, 2017 Nick Guerra rated it it was ok
I wanted to try something new, and this was not the book for me. I didn't really like the comic look of it at all, it didn't let me imagine the story in my head.
Hamelynn Harzman
Jan 08, 2017 Hamelynn Harzman rated it it was amazing
This is a series I have read partially through (until about volume 8.) and I've forgotten so many things, so I decided to give the series another go and I'm loving it. These books are honestly really short and I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to be able to write reviews for all of them. I'm thinking I should opt for the actual books instead of Mangas... not a bad idea. I'm going to finish all I can for the Mangas then move on to the actual novels.

Overall this book was amazing. I love books lik
Hessa
Aug 15, 2016 Hessa rated it really liked it
I've wanted to read this for a while now. I was really excited about it and the cover is just gorgeous enough for me to go ahead and buy it. but unfortunately I was slightly disappointed. It was definitely interesting but not enough to hold my attention. while the artwork is great, the story isn’t all that captivating. I gave it an extra star for the artwork, the story is more like a 3 or maybe even 2.5.
I’m probably going to read the second volume (not soon) and then decide if I want to continu
Madison
Sep 06, 2015 Madison rated it it was amazing
A 4.5 star read!
This is my most favourite graphic novel to this date.
The illustrations were fantastic and beautiful. I was impressed by the artwork and overall enjoyed the story as I've already read the book before.
Meagan
Apr 14, 2015 Meagan rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful artwork!!! I loved this! Everything about it. The story was really riveting. I read this in one sitting because I just had to know what's going on!
Donna
Mar 15, 2010 Donna rated it it was ok
This was my first manga book and it will probably be my last (except for the Labyrinth ones, I'm still seriously considering getting those). First, can someone please tell me how 'manga' is pronounced? I keep saying it like the Italian word for 'eat.' I've also pronounced pilates like pee-lats because I'd never heard it pronounced before. Can someone help me out here?

The thing is, I don't know what's normal for manga and what isn't. It's not like reading a comic book/graphic novel. I like comics
Leanne Bell
Alas, I really wanted to love this but sadly I couldn't.
The story itself is the same as the book, for those who don't know anything about the maximum ride books here's the link to my review of the first novel: http://magicofreading.blogspot.com/20...

I didn't have a problem with the story because it wasn't altered at all, but I did have a couple of other issues.
My first niggle was that for quite a long Manga it didn't cover a lot of ground and yes I do get that it is Manga and that it is supposed
Fredrik
May 21, 2012 Fredrik rated it liked it
Sampai sekarang aku belum pernah baca novel aslinya, hahaha.
Padahal aku udah koleksi nomor 1-4, keluaran GPU yang udah didiskon super murah sekarang.

Nah, ketemu manga yang versi bahasa Inggris ini didiskon murah banget juga di Periplus. ^^
Setelah baca, baru ngeh... oooh Maximum Ride ternyata isinya begini toh... :D

Btw, apakah isi manga ini mencakup seluruh isi novel pertamanya? Sampai endingnya, maksudku. --> masih belum akan sempat baca novelnya dalam waktu dekat (.___.)
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
OMG!!! I <3'D IT! It was so awesome to see Max Ride in manga. The manga definitely does the book justice, plot-wise. The characters weren't exactly how I pictured them -- I mean, wth is up with Fang? He looks like a creepy girl ... But ANYWAY, it was still cool, and I can't wait for the rest of the manga to come out. ^_^
Rachel
Jan 27, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
this was amazing. i've never read manga before, but i liked this a lot. the only thing was that there was more swear words than in the books. and that was annoying. mi sister wants to read this but i dont think she will cuz of tht. *shakes head sadly*

anyway. i really liked it and can't wait for the second one
Rachael
Aug 23, 2015 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
wow! so I actually happened to find this book in my library, and I literally read it in one day because it was just so freaking incredible! the illustrations in this book are literally just mind blowing! I highly recommend this series for Maximum Ride fans like me! if I could I would give this book 5 million stars!!
Adam
Oct 06, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Not because of the pictures but because I found it very well organized. I think that it will help me understand what I am reading when I read the actual book and not the graphic novel. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes James Patterson books.
Michelle. D.
Apr 14, 2011 Michelle. D. rated it it was amazing
Pretty good manga for a white man. LOL

I am so used to maangas being right to left that I got confused some times while reading this book. LOL
The book was entertaining overall and I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing.

I LOVE IGGGGGGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
He's just so awesome.
Kellie
May 31, 2015 Kellie rated it really liked it
I really liked this graphic novel/manga! It was a really good adaptation from the book
N.T. Embe
Dec 30, 2013 N.T. Embe rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of James Patterson's works and people who don't mind very little depth to their reads.
Recommended to N.T. by: Barnes and Noble
Shelves: manga

I remember when I first picked up this manga, my interest was raised by the title. It's an unusual one, to be certain, and once I looked at the cover, I fell in love with the dynamic art style and beautiful coloration of the art. I remember flipping it open in the Barnes and Noble and reading through the first few pages before I realized I was actually reading the book already. It flew by, a light and easy read without too much thought and the most basic of content, especially as far as reading
Brandon Fleak
The author of Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 is James Patterson. James Patterson has wrote the book Witch and Wizard, Along Came a Spider, Cross, Cradle and All, and the book kiss the girls. James has written a lot of more books but them are just some of his popular books he sold. James has won many awards for his books. James likes to write books that have short chapters, but a lot of detail, and he wants to make you feel like you are in the book. This book is a graphic novel that is fiction. This book i ...more
Angel
Sep 23, 2016 Angel rated it really liked it
this book was nice because its the first book i've read about human-avian hybrids. its really cool when they have wings because they look like angels to me. The characters are Max, Angel, Nudge, and Fang. Max is 14 and she lived in school because the evil scientists experimented on her. Not anymore though. Angel got kidnapped by the Erasers, the human-wolf hybrids but she met this dog named Total. She wasn't alone. Max and her friends tried to save her.
Raquel Leite
Mar 23, 2015 Raquel Leite rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mangá, meus, inglês
Publicada aqui:

Eu não li o original editado em portugal pela Topseller, por alguma razão que ainda não sei bem qual nunca me chamou a atenção.
No entanto tinha lido boas opiniões sobre os três volumes, daí a que quando vi este livro no bookdepository achei que deveria dar uma oportunidade, até porque tinha boa conotação no Goodreads. Por isso mesmo não vou puder falar se é uma boa adaptação ou não, mas parece-me que este livro tem muitos pormenores, contando sempre onde anda cada personagem prin
Jan 02, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
Librarysteph
Dec 20, 2010 Librarysteph rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Maximum Ride by James Patterson was adapted into manga format by Narae Lee. The series was recommended to me when I was looking for books about playing with genetics. I've been trying to familiarize myself with graphic novels and manga so I read the adaptation rather than the original text.

Maximum Ride is a genetically altered young woman with wings, raising younger teens and children who escaped with her from a facility known as "the school". The youngest and most beloved child in her care is k
Sandra
Apr 16, 2012 Sandra rated it liked it
With the recent transition of Mills & Boon romance novels being made into manga graphic novels, there has been a resurgence of this trend with either popular novels, or popular writers jumping on the bandwagon of turning their novels into new comic book creations, often with well-known manga artists taking over to present an action packed, colourful and emotion filled piece.

IN this first of a series, Maximum Ride lives with her friends in a secluded place. Being away from everyone else is th
Angela Hwang
Feb 21, 2017 Angela Hwang rated it it was amazing
It's really interesting story. Max is so cool.
Liz Nelson
Oct 23, 2014 Liz Nelson rated it it was amazing
read graphic novels online for free?! 23 1866 Mar 21, 2017 08:41PM
you should read this book 1 2 May 04, 2015 09:08PM
Mrs. Young-Maximu...: Predictions 31 16 Oct 20, 2014 04:24PM
Holy Crap They Turned It Into A Manga?! 73 258 Aug 16, 2014 07:26AM
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1
  • Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives, Vol. 2 (Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives, #2)
  • +Anima 1 (+Anima, #1)
  • Chibi Vampire, Vol. 02
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 16
  • Cirque Du Freak, Vol. 1 (Cirque Du Freak: The Manga, #1)
  • ココにいるよ!(1) (Koko ni Iru Yo!, #1)
  • Uglies: Shay's Story (Uglies: Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 2: Friends in Need (Shugo Chara!, #2)
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 02 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #2)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 13 (Ouran High School Host Club, #13)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Maximum Ride: The Manga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 2 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #2)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 3 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #3)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 4 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #4)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 5 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #5)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 6 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #6)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 7 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #7)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 8 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #8)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 9 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #9)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 10 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #10)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 11 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #11)

“Pain is a message. Messages can be ignored.” 1 likes