Start by marking “School of Fear (School of Fear, #1)” as Want to Read:
School of Fear (School of Fear, #1)

School of Fear (School of Fear #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  4,912 ratings  ·  564 reviews
Everyone is afraid of something...

Madeleine Masterson is deathly afraid of bugs, especially spiders.

Theodore Bartholomew is petrified of dying.

Lulu Punchalower is scared of confined spaces.

Garrison Feldman is terrified of deep water.

With very few options left, the parents of these four twelve year-olds send them to the highly elusive and exclusive School of Fear to he
Published September 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published March 9th 1999)

My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyThe Wayward Gifted by Donna K. ChildreeFairest by Gail Carson LevineSchool of Fear by Gitty DaneshvariOnce Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. Blount
Awesomeness!
4th out of 68 books — 43 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe School for Good and Evil by Soman ChainaniPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleThe Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee StewartSchool of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari
Best Books About Special Schools
5th out of 37 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Meli
Genial este libro, fantástico para los más chicos y una delicia para los grandes, ¡tanto sarcasmo! *¬*

La trama es muy predecible, pero es perfecto para el publico al que está orientado y se disfruta mucho a cualquier edad.

Me divertí mucho leyéndolo, es una lectura de lo más agradable (ok, por momentos no tanto, hay cosas MUY asquerosas xD) y me hizo reír como loca.

Si Tim Burton hiciera una película de esto, la primera en la cola del cine sería yo, lo garantizo :P
Reading Vacation
REVIEW

I can describe School of Fear in one word….wait for it….QUIRKY! I bet you thought I was going to say spooky or scary or phobias or fearful. It has those too, but it’s mostly quirky. And I really like quirky.

The four main characters are children with serious phobias. So serious, in fact, that their parents have sent them to the School of Fear to be cured. My favorite character was Madeleine She was smart and soft-spoken, but she also had a major fear of bugs – especially spiders. I can rela
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
This came to my attention when it got mentioned in a group I'm in, and it looked like something I might like. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work for me.

It starts by introducing us - at length - to the four main characters and their fears. First we see them individually, and then as they start to come together. But this extended intro doesn't really add anything new, it's just the same sort of introductions to their phobia-induced quirks over and over again.

We finally get to the school and meet
Nicole
For me, the best part of this book was the page before each new chapter where the author gave the name and basic description of different fears. The characters were annoying. The plot was predictable.

I'll end up using it in my second grade classroom to show students that even as an adult, sometimes we have to sound out l-o-n-g words (the different phobias).

Since that was my favorite part, I'll put those in here to save you the time from reading the rest of the book yourself...

Mottephobia is the
Mary
This is a funny, offbeat book for middle grade students with an intriguing premise: four 12-year-olds go to the School of Fear one summer to overcome their phobias. Madeleine Masterson comes from England with a fear of bugs and spiders; Theodore Bartholomew is afraid of dying (and endearingly annoying); Lulu Punchalower is claustrophobic and mean; and Garrison Feldman, athlete extraordinaire, from Miami is afraid of large bodies of water. Eccentric former beauty pagent contestant, Mrs. Wellingto ...more
Paul Eckert
School of Fear is the story of four kids trying to conquer their fears by enrolling in an exclusive, hush-hush summer program in Massachusetts called…the School of Fear. The only way to attend is by getting a recommendation from a therapist who is in the know about the school. Everyone who knows about it swears by its results.

The four kids in question are Theo, who is afraid of dying, Madeline who is afraid of spiders and insects, Lulu who is claustrophobic and afraid of heights, and Garrison,
Raina
Kori
I had this book in one of my piles for a while now, as my mom picked it up because it looked interesting.

While it was indeed interesting, and had a fun concept, it was predictable, in my opinion, and I didn't find it a new plot line. I personally wished they had played up on the actual fears though, as it seemed they were rather untouched throughout the entirety of the book.

The style and illustrations heavily reminded me of The Benedict Society. It was similar in ways, though I feel School of F
Karina
Cumplió el propósito que debe tener cualquier libro que es divertirme y entretenerme. Es un libro muy bueno para los niños aunque también podemos leerlo aquellos que ya no somos tan niños. Mi personaje favorito sin duda es Madeleine y su educada forma de hablar. Lo más interesante es que creo que el libro tiene algo de razón la única forma de superar una fobia o un miedo es enfrentando se a el de manera inconsciente y cuando te das cuenta que lo superaste y que sigues vivo puede disminuir un poc ...more
Robin
Humorous, well written, twisty novel that left me wanting another semester!
Nicks
While I am twelve years old, like the children character's in the book, i found this book to be very immature. I liked it though. One word you could use to describe this book is predictable. When the children went on an adventure (won't put spoilers in here), I had already guessed the ending. And I was right. It didn't come as a surprise to me when what I figured out/ guessed happened. It was okay overall. Coming from one pre-teen to another, this book is definietly for ten years and under. I t ...more
The Lost Lola
Sep 12, 2009 The Lost Lola rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of "Series of Unfortunate Events"
This is a fun and quirky book about a group of kids from different backgrounds who all have one thing in common- they all have phobias. Madeleine Masterson is afraid of bugs, Theodore Bartholomew is afraid of dying, Lulu Punchalower is afraid of confined spaces, and Garrison Feldman is afraid of deep water. Each child recieves an mysterious invitation to attend the eccentric ex-beauty queen Mrs. Wellington's School of Fear, where they must conquer their phobias in the most unusual ways. Througho ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Do you have any irrational fears? Do you wish to get rid of them?

This summer, four twelve year olds - Madeleine, Theo, Lulu, and Garrison - will be forced by their parents to go to the School of Fear and see if they can do just that.

This elite, private boarding school is full of gloominess and lanterns that hang from rusty old chains. The inhabitants spend endless hours of learning proper smiling and waving with their former beauty pageant contestant princi
Dentro de un  Libro
Disfrute mucho leyendo esta historia, me hizo reír en varias ocasiones. Los personajes están muy bien desarrollados. Mis favoritos resultaron ser Madeleine, Theo y Schmidty, el mayordomo, cocinero y maquillador de Mrs.

Wellington. Las ocurrencias de Theo me resultaron hilarantes, fue el que más me hizo reír.

[Para las horas de clase había confeccionado un sistema según el cual cada miembro de la familia tenia que enviarle un mensaje confirmando su estado: vivo o muerto.]

La edición del libro me gu
Sadie
Madeleine Masterson, Garrison Feldman, Lulu Punchalower, and Theo Bartholomew are all completely petrified of one thing after another and fear is ruining their lives. That is until the fearsome foursome meet Mrs. Wellington, the psychopathic woman who is vain, insane, and possibly the only solution for fear this world has ever known. Schmidty, the kindly yet blind and obese house keeper, Macaroni, the lovable bulldog, and their phobias are the only things keeping them at Summer Stone, Mrs. Welli ...more
Andrew
This book is about four kids with catastrophic fears go to a training school, hoping that they get over them. I don't really like this book because a it takes so long to get to the point. I'm half way threw and they still aren't at the school. All the kids are scared to go because they don't know what it is going to be like. I remember when it was my first day of kindergarten, I was nervous that I would go to the principals office and get in trouble. My friends were nervous too, but we all walke ...more
Jenny
This was a very easy read. It was similar to some of Lemony Snicket's stuff, but it was less depressing than Snicket's writings. It was an interesting story and at the beginning of each chapter there was the name of a phobia and what it meant. I enjoy learning words that are uncommon, so this made the book more enjoyable. I felt it ended abruptly. This might have been because, supposedly this is only the first book in a 4 or 5 book series. I would be willing to read the next one. If you enjoyed ...more
Thuy Anh
Quite an interesting book!!
I bought this years ago but haven't read it until recently, so I couldn't blame anyone that the plot is too simple for me now. But I'll gladly give it to my teenage cousins. Anyway it was an easy but humorous read.^^
Also, I didn't know that this book has so many SAT words. It was fun reviewing those new words while reading this book XD
Mikaila
School of Fear is about four young kids who have "Big Fears" .Madeleine,Garrison,Lulu, and Theo all meet at one point of the book.The children are waiting to see what horrid place they will see very soon.What fear's do they have?Wait and see in the book "School of Fear".
I like this book because I have some fears that are in this book.i rate this book 4 stars.This is not a scary book if you were wondering.If you like funny and "scary" books then read School of Fear.I reccomend this book to Mrs.Sp
Sidney
Oct 29, 2014 Sidney added it

You should read “School of Fear” by Gitty Daneshvari because it has interesting characters, a great theme, a cool plot, a unique setting, and it always leaves you in suspense.

One of the many reasons I love this book is because of its interesting characters. Theo, Maddie, Lulu, and Garrison all have very different personalities. For example; Garrison is 13 and is a “local celebrity at his school”(59). Lulu is described as mean and is “a bit of a rebel”(34)

Maddie is very nice, and she is sensitiv
Josh
When I first decided to read School of Fear, I was a little cautious because of the title, but the book was the complete opposite! Gitty Daneshvari, the author, brilliantly wrote the book, and it is one of my favorites for many reasons.
A realistic fiction, the novel begins as four teenagers are drafted to come to School of Fear because of their out of control phobias. As the book develops, you learn more about the backgrounds of the "contestants": Madeline, Theo, Lulu, and Garrison. School of Fe
Trudi
This was so sweet and so much fun. A cross between Roald Dahl and Neil Gaiman with a twist of Lemony Snicket. While the story is set in America, there is something very English about the precise, descriptive writing and the sense of humor. If you are trying to boost your child's vocabulary, I highly recommend this one. Oh! and I almost forgot to mention the illustrations -- those made the book for me!
April
Reading the galley. It could just be me but I lost interest in the middle. I say it could just be me because I put the book down at some point and with me that's the kiss of death. I had really enjoyed the beginning though so I picked it up this morning and basically read the last few chapters. This book is filled with some odd characters and scenarios, some of which are really really funny. I think I will give it to a kid and see what they have to say.
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
Nanny Books

¡Me ha encantado! Estoy totalmente alucinada con esta novela. Es sumamente original y estrafalaria. Nunca había leído algo como esta historia. Vale, tal vez las aventuras de Emily the Strange puedan acercársele.
Narrada en tercera persona y moviendo constantemente los puntos de vista desde los cuatro dispares protagonistas, Daneshvari ha creado una historia muy entretenida, con una prosa sencilla y ágil.
Theo, Madeleine, Garrison y Lulu se ven obligados a asistir a la Escuela de Mrs. We
Sam Williamson
It just wasn't very funny or entertaining. Admittedly I was curious about where the characters would end up by the end of the story, but that was also really unsatisfying, so... I don't know.

The overall impression I got was that the author was attempting to be quirky and funny (and in many cases imitating successful authors like Lemony Snicket) but relying on oftentimes really hurtful and immature humor (there were SO many fat jokes, for example) or overplaying random/quirky humor tropes. The h
Haley Cabrera
I absolutely loved this book. I have to admit that when I first picked it up and started to read, I had my doubts. Fortunately, the author really came through.
Four kids, all with a certain phobia, are sent to a strange school in the small town of Farmington, Massachusetts. They are faced with a strange new home, a beauty queen for a teacher, a creepy lawyer, and a strange boy that's living in the woods. Garrison, Lulu, Madeleine, and Theo in for a wild ride.
This book started out sort of slow.
Kaethe
Four kids, all suffering from debilitating phobias, are sent as a last resort to the School of Fear. And then things get really weird. Like, The Mysterious Benedict Society weird, only the headmistress doesn't suffer from narcolepsy. Anyway, what the kids find is not at all what they were expecting. Nor was it what I was expecting.

Tasha asked me to read this and give her my opinion. Tonight I expect to start reading it aloud to her. It isn't scary, and I think she'll enjoy all the phobia definit
Haley
The book I read is School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari. This book is about four kids with different fears. They are all very different, and after their families can’t take dealing with their fears anymore, they are sent off to the elusive and strange School of Fear, a place for dealing with phobias and the like.

From the back of the book:

Everyone’s afraid of something…

Madeleine Masterson is deathly afraid of bugs, especially spiders.

Theodore Bartholomew is petrified of dying.

Lulu Punchalower is sc
Oliver Urban
Fantastic. A rare form of children's novel that doesn't speak down for the reader, instead the author opts to assume that -- wait for it -- children are human beings capable of understanding the written word and literary nuances!

Perfection; humorous, quirky, and just the right amount of heart-warming.
Charcaters? 11 30 Oct 07, 2014 02:57PM
Review 10 26 Sep 11, 2012 03:39AM
Brainiax Book Club: school of fear 6 5 Feb 14, 2012 05:39PM
  • Drizzle
  • Dying to Meet You (43 Old Cemetery Road, #1)
  • The Summer of Moonlight Secrets
  • Floors
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)
  • The Candymakers
  • NERDS: National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society (NERDS, #1)
  • Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)
  • Write This Book: A Do-It-Yourself Mystery
  • The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
  • The Memory Bank
  • Horton Halfpott: or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset
  • We the Children (Benjamin Pratt & Keepers of the School, #1)
  • Miss Fortune (Poison Apple #3)
  • Blimpo: The Third Circle of Heck
  • The School for the Insanely Gifted
  • The Castle Corona
Gitty Daneshvari was born in Los Angeles to an Iranian father and an American mother. As a child she talked incessantly, feeling the need to comment on everything around her. While at first charmed by her verbose nature, her family soon tired of the constant commenting. This is how she found writing — it was better than talking since she didn't even need anyone else to do it with.

She currently liv
More about Gitty Daneshvari...

School of Fear (3 books)
  • Class is Not Dismissed! (School of Fear, #2)
  • The Final Exam (School of Fear, #3)
Class is Not Dismissed! (School of Fear, #2) The Final Exam (School of Fear, #3) Ghoulfriends Forever (Ghoulfriends, #1) Ghoulfriends Just Want to Have Fun (Ghoulfriends, #2) Who's That Ghoulfriend? (Ghoulfriends, #3)

“Thoughts of mischief frolicked through nineteen of the twenty girls minds.” 11 likes
“Madeleine was enraptured by Garrison's tan complexion, which greatly differed from the pale boys of London. It wasn't actually the boys' fault, as the whole of the United Kingdom was under a cloud for much of the year. But at that moment, Madeleine decided that boys, like bread, were better toasted.” 4 likes