Start by marking “The Makedown” as Want to Read:
The Makedown

The Makedown

Softcover humor book
Published February 25th 2009 by 5 Spot (first published February 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Makedown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Makedown

Karen
I enjoyed the writing style of The Makedown (only found one mistake an editor should have caught) and I think the author has a wonderful sense of humor. I also identified with the main character Anna at first. Overall, this started off as a fun read and I kept thinking I'd probably end up rating it 4-stars. The story went downhill for me when Anna leaves for New York. That's when the reader realizes Anna is a vile and insipid creature.
Anna is fat, unattractive and unpopular. She keeps a Hello Fa
Cristina Boncea
Aug 03, 2013 Cristina Boncea rated it it was amazing
I'm giving it five stars just to say "I knew it! I knew this book was going to be awesome!". But of course, the book IS awesome.

Anna Norton used to be fat, have acne and be bullied. After graduating Penn, she moves to NY and gets a low-paid job. There she meets her FG (Fairy Godmother)so Janice, her boss, helps her lose weight and turns her into an average-looking girl that is now thin. Anna falls in love with Ben, a man out of her league but somehow, they end up together. Anna can't take all th
Suelynn
Apr 02, 2009 Suelynn rated it did not like it
This was a POS book. This book was full of shallow, superficial, and ignorant content. The characters were ridiculous, aside from being completely hateful. As I read it I seriously hoped that Anna N. would have gained back all the weight that she had lost to see if she could gain back the heart that she lost when she lost all her weight. I cannot believe for one minute that any one found this book to be anything more than one star. I rated it one star because there is nothing lower than that but ...more
Ivy
Nov 23, 2008 Ivy rated it did not like it
Anna Norton is possibly the most hateful character I've ever encountered in fiction--certainly the most hateful I've been expected to identify with as the heroine. So loathsome is this character that I can't help but feel shocked and offended that the nerds, the "fatties", the social outcasts of the world, are supposed to see her as a champion of their cause. Quoth the promotional material of this book: "every woman can relate to her insecurities and body image issues." Sure. Of course they can. ...more
Lisa
May 09, 2009 Lisa rated it did not like it
There are so many problems with this book, I don't know where to start. The writing at the beginning doesn't sound as if it's from a novelist but like a high schooler trying to use as many big, stilted words as she can. There are no sympathetic characters in the novel at all - not even the narrator, who commits the most egregious crime of all, the Makedown - and that doesn't even take place until MUCH later in the book! Anna's own transformation isn't exactly plausible, I think because her perso ...more
Jess
Mar 23, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it
VERY funny book. I laughed the whole way through. These characters are just...completely ludicrous. But lovable. And the premise of the story is just one complete act of desperation. It's almost painful to read at some points, but so funny I couldn't put it down.
Alea
Jan 31, 2009 Alea rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
The Makedown is a very interesting book and definitely more than chick lit. I could relate to it in some ways, I could definitely weigh less than I do and I love junk food. I was very interested to see Anna's transformation from a totally socially awkward over-eater to a thin more confident women.

Before I started reading I was unsure where the book would start. Would it start right at the Makedown and hint to the past and Anna's transformation or start before that? Thankfully it starts when Anna
Kristine
Mar 25, 2009 Kristine rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Not even my worst enemy
Recommended to Kristine by: an idiot on Twitter
I don't know what people are thinking when they gush over this trash. It was horrific. The characters are shallow, selfish, self-involved and pathetic. They have zero appeal and garner zero sympathy.

I don't know where the author got her ignorant ideas of the behavior of fat people from, but eating a few candy bars and changing clothes is not going to make a person lose IQ points and regress into a whiny juvenile.

As for the main character, holy crap, she's absurd and unfunny. The author is tryi
Michelle
Sep 04, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
"I twirl my imaginary mustache as a reward for being so diabolically smart"- Anna Norton. HAHAHA.

Okay, I will just come out and say it: I. LOVE. THE. UNDERDOG. No, not the old cartoon but the downtrodden, the nerdy, the pimply, the chubby, the mildly smelly. I love them. When I was reading this book I felt such a warm feeling for the character Anna Norton (who was likable even at her worst. She was just so hilarious) and such a feeling of empathy (I was chub-ster back in my heyday, too) that at
Christy Stewart
Jul 03, 2009 Christy Stewart rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fat girls
Well, a lot of people didn't like this book...but I think for what it's suppose to be, it was flawless.

The humor is always spot on and not heavy handed, that alone calls for 5 stars because SO few authors can actually do that. The main character is a fat ugly girl turned thin average girl who remains a fat and ugly girl on the inside, which those of us who watch Oprah know is an epidemic. The book is really neurotic and so I can understand that someone who is a fan of chick-lit wouldn't like the
Angela Johnson
Feb 19, 2012 Angela Johnson rated it really liked it
The most recent reviews of this book did make me think twice about reading it. I bought this book at the Dollar Tree for, yes, $1. However, I did think this book was good, its' all about a girl's journey to being happy. I don't think any girl can say they felt perfect in high school and college, I know most of my friends and I didn't. There was a self-deprecating humor throughout and there were times where I cringed from Anna's actions, but every action had to happen in order to become the perfe ...more
Jodi
Jul 25, 2011 Jodi added it
I couldn't put this book down.... fast enough!!! The main character was a horrible, paranoid and all around psychotic person who thought nothing about destroying another persons life just to satisfy her own insecurities. I seriously hope that this isn't the type of books this author puts out; while her writing was good, the subject matter was less than stellar. This isn't chick lit.... hopefully no woman would ever go to these lengths to keep something that didn't belong to her.
Lilli
May 26, 2009 Lilli rated it liked it
There were some great humourous passages in this book and it was a very quick read. However, the main character is quite unlikeable. I don't think that she ever realized that her choices were the result of her poor character. In the end, she seemed to just accept that the outcomes of her actions were what was meant to be. She never seems to realize that she did the opposite of what Janice did for her. I can see this story being made into a movie.
Marley
Apr 27, 2016 Marley rated it liked it
It was a good book,but very cringe-worthy. Your sympathy for Anna Norton quickly dissolves as soon as she starts the make down. She turns beautiful, gorgeous, sexy Ben into a chubby, gruff,version of himself. It's torturous while hilarious at the same time. My least favorite character was her real life FG. I also disliked her mother's racist jokes, although her conclusion after her ex's son is born is funny.
Jill
Apr 12, 2009 Jill rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Chick Lit
I enjoyed this book. It was a fun fast read.

The deep seated issues of the main character really came out! I was appalled by her actions. But it shows how deep her insecurities were rooted. And the object of her ill-placed attentions learned a thing or two by the end of the book I think. Fun read.

Shari
Aug 17, 2009 Shari rated it liked it
The Makedown (July)
Anna Norton is an ex-fatty who decides to makedown her gorgeous boyfriend because she was felt too insecure when other woman flirted with him. In destroying him she also destroyed her relationship and had to come to terms with her own insecurities….it was an interesting and light summer read.
Kristin
Feb 20, 2009 Kristin rated it did not like it
While The Makedown may sound like a quirky romantic comedy, it’s actually a long, uncomfortable study in insecurity and superficiality.

Read the full review at http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Stacy
Jul 26, 2011 Stacy rated it liked it
Cute book! A definite good beach read. I enjoyed the storyline. I actually thought it was going to end up far more predictable than it did (although parts of it were DEFINITELY predictable), but all in all it was a great little, no brainer, fun, beach read book.
Erin
Feb 19, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok
Oh man. This book started out so well! Hilarious and honest. But then of course she gets skinny and insane and unlikeable. I also don't understand why she was sooo in love with Ben. He kind of sucked.
Patrick Gibson
Aug 19, 2013 Patrick Gibson rated it it was amazing
Excellent read a very funny book. It's sad at times when the title character refers to herself as Hello Fatty in her diary. It speaks of how society is so appearance conscious. Ms. Anna finally accepts her own issues about eating and exercise and relationships.
Cheryl
May 15, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Seriously laugh out loud, spit take funny. Not your average paint by numbers chick lit, Daneshvari writes with an intelligence and pop culture savvy wit I haven't seen before. Enjoyable, hilarious read!
Anna
Mar 26, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it
It is like candy. I have been reading so many heavy, serious books that I needed something light and entertaining, so this did the trick!
Alicia Jones
Aug 21, 2016 Alicia Jones rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
it was hard to witness Anna behave so... pathetically, page after page. I LOVED the first half of the book, the middle was difficult to read. it's too bad this book took such a bad turn midway.
Jen
Jul 16, 2009 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, 2009, fiction
The characters in this book were really not at all likable.
Nicole
Jul 28, 2011 Nicole added it
Fun, quick, well-written chick lit! Similar to Jennifer Weiner. I went to the school with the author and her sister. Kudos to you Gitty for writing a novel. I am impressed!
Aga
May 21, 2014 Aga rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I enjoyed this book, but not from the beginning. It was boring with no flow, but it got much better the more I've read.
Kara
Aug 06, 2013 Kara rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-chick-lit
Not a review- but for some reason, my library has this book shelved with Sci-Fi. I grabbed the book off the shelves without knowing anything about it, so I excepted sci-fi, not a rom-com.
Neen
Jul 28, 2011 Neen added it
Very entertaining...good ending.
Carrie
Jun 17, 2009 Carrie rated it did not like it
Trying to be good chick-lit, but I didn't like it. Fat girl loses weight but still only looks average. Finds a guy who is still out of her league and tries to make him fat and ugly. Dumb.
Apr 07, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: beach-reads
Quick easy read but with that lacks depth. Going from "fatty" to skinny in a few pages is a bit much. I'd put this in the categories of library and beach.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Terminally Beautiful
  • Unconventional Love
  • Sky Tongues
  • Powerless Against You
  • Cassandra French's Finishing School for Boys
  • Molly Hacker Is Too Picky!
  • The Bum Magnet
  • The Cutting Edge
  • Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
  • The Whole World
  • Project Jennifer
  • The Freak Observer
  • Confessions of a Beauty Addict
  • Super Giant Monster Time! (Choose Your Own Mind-Fuck Fest #3)
  • Super in the City
  • Manslations: Decoding the Secret Language of Men
  • My Wonderful World of Fashion: A Book for Drawing, Creating and Dreaming
  • Deep in the Heart of High School
Gitty Daneshvari was born in Los Angeles to an Iranian father and an American mother. As a child she talked incessantly, feeling the need to comment on everything around her. While at first charmed by her verbose nature, her family soon tired of the constant commenting. This is how she found writing — it was better than talking since she didn't even need anyone else to do it with.

She currently liv
More about Gitty Daneshvari...