Start by marking “New York's Bravest” as Want to Read:
New York's Bravest

New York's Bravest

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In the 1840s, there was a real vounteer firefighter named Mose Humphreys whose bravery was reknown throughout New York City. Plays about him began being performed on Broadway in 1848 and over the years his strength and heroics took on larger-than-life proportions, much like those of Paul Bunyan. Mary Pope Osborne has honed down the legends about him to a brief, dramatic, s ...more
Published August 13th 2002 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about New York's Bravest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New York's Bravest

Marcia
This retelling of Mose Humphreys has all the characteristics of a tall tale. Mose is described as being eight feet tall with hands as big as Virginia hams. He was so strong his huge arms could swim the Hudson River in two strokes. He could lift trolley cars, jump from burning ladders, save babies in his stovepipe hat, and eat mountains of beans and eggs. The legend of Mose is based on a real New York fireman in 1848. The legend of Mose represents all firefighters throughout history. This specifi ...more
Lynn
I selected this book because I wanted to see Mary Pope Osborne's take on a picture book. My son (5 yrs.) and I have been enjoying reading her "Magic Tree House" series. Well, this book did not disappoint! The illustrations are vibrant and fabulous. The tall tale it tell is terrific, and not one that I had read or heard before this book. My son was captured by the story, and said that his favorite parts were that he could swim the Hudson River in two strokes and when everyone thought he swam to ...more
Reeves
WOW! I cried when I read this to my class. Go to B & N -grab a cup of coffee-go to the children's section and read this book. You will probably buy the book. This book helps discuss the events of 9/11 with children.
Robert J
The story is a fictionalized version of Mose Humphreys an 1840's New York City firefighter whose reputation became larger than life. Mose Humphreys was the Paul Bunyan of firefighting, larger than life and able to do things no ordinary man could do. This is a great story and the illustrations really bring the character and a bygone era to life. The historical note gives a background to the story and the book, published in 2002, is dedicated "to the memory of the 343 New York City firefighters wh ...more
Cesar Lopez
Dundee Library
This book tells of the story of some of the heroic deeds of the legendary New York firefighter, Mose Humphreys in classic tall tale style. Mose was a tough firefighter in a tough neighborhood - New York City in the mid 1800's. The author tells of some of his legendary events and the illustrations exaggerate his size to just the right degree. The fact that this book is dedicated to the first responding firefighters in New York City on September 11th makes for a poignant reminder that firefighters ...more
Kyjafree
there was a firefighter named Moses who helped everyone that needed to be helped.when he helped others he got things to eat from the people he saved.after he saved people from one fire nobody ever saw him again.i would recommend this to like a 4th grader on up.for any elementary kids that want to be a firefighter i would recommend them to read this.it has good pictures for whoever is entrusted in illustrated books.
Edwin
This is an interesting tall tale featuring a New York fireman. The narrative is dramatic and entertaining and the colorful illustrations have an old fashioned style and complement the story nicely. I also liked the dedication and the historical note by the author.
Juan Lopez
This book is about a firefighter. Everyone knew him because of his bravery. He was very tall and strong. He Used to save a lot of people.
Randi Haranzo
This children's picture book is a great example of historical fiction. Right from the beginning of the book the author takes an effort to inform the reader of the devastating occurrence on September 11th, 2001. The story doesn't directly relate to the terrorist attraction, however the book does describe the hardships that firefighters may experiences. This book allows the reader to understand the pressure and courage a firefighter must acquire in order to do his or her job. I think it is importa ...more
Harry Martinez
this book about a guy name mose he is the famous strongest firefighter in new York city
Keithan Wilbarger
this book was interesting i enjoyed reading it
Melanie
Fictional super-firefighter Mose Humphrey is glorified in this tall-tale about New York's bravest firefighter. This man was supposedly 8 feet tall with hands the size of Virginia hams. He saved babies and was paid in food and drink. He disappeared one day while fighting a big hotel fire and was never heard from again.

I don't particularly like this book as it seemed to focus on one person instead of all firefighters in general.
Lori
We originally picked up this story because our children love Mary Pope Osborne's 'Magic Tree House' series. I had never heard of Mose, but this book (dedicated to the "343 New York City firefighters who gave their lives to save others on September 11, 2001") was a re-telling of this urban legend, New York fire-fighter's life. Evidently, the character is based on an actual NY fire-fighter, Mose Humphreys. Great story of selflessness.
Brandin
Genre: Picture book/fiction

Topic/Theme: Bravery, courage, heroes, firefighters, 9-11(indirect), safety, disaster/loss

Grade Level: K-3

Classroom Use: Read aloud

Comments: Great read aloud for courage/heroes! Also great to tie in on a lesson/discussion on 9-11, specifically the first responders that were lost.
Savannah
A brave story of an 8 foot firefighter who saves many lives. Dedicated to the firefighters of 9/11, the book uses this fictional character to capture the essence of the NYFD and what they did for 9/11 victims. This story can be used to touch on a sensitive subject that may personally effect some of the students in your class.
Margaret
9/11/13 ** This tall tale tells the story of Mose, a legendary New York firefighter. The book is dedicated to the first responders of 9/11/01. I read this in conjunction with our celebration of The Dot and my fourth graders and I talked about how we could make our marks on the world.
Dolly
Feb 04, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, other-usa
Amberly
not sure if it was my mood or my experience in the city, but this book almost made me emotional when reading it to my kids. a great, genuine hero is the main character- we all liked this one. it provided good discussion and teaching moments.
Elizabeth S
A wonderful tribute to New York's firefighters old and new, and especially those who lost their lives on Sep. 11, 2001. And a fun Tall Tale for the kids too. Enjoyed by 2-year-old, 8-year-old, and adult.
Mandy
Summary:
Moses was the greatest firefighter of all New York according to the people that told others about him. However, as people shared storied about his big acts of heroism, the stories got bigger too!
Angela
We really enjoyed the story of Mose and his bravery. The legend reminded me a bit of Paul Bunyan but with an NYC twist. Cooper loves any story about firemen!
BeastBoy
My son asked me why they didn't just look for his bones in the wreckage.
Carrie
One of my most favorite books. May God bless our firefighters!!
Melissa Kasso
I used it in conjunction with "Fireboat" on September 11th.
PWRL
Beth
Beth added it
Jun 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)