Start by marking “High Society ” as Want to Read:
High Society

High Society (Colshannon #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  931 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Heiress Missing: The Untold Story. Clemmie Colshannon, a London art appraiser framed (pun intended) by her boyfriend and subsequently fired, retreats to the bosom of her eccentric family in Cornwall to recover. But no sooner has she unpacked her bags than her sister, Holly, an energetic reporter who lives to scoop, enlists Clemmie’s derring-do on a juicy story. It seems th ...more
Published 2004 by Time Warner

To ask other readers questions about High Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Society

Just as Playing James, Mason's first novel featuring the Colshannon family, Society Girls was witty, suspenseful, and filled with just the right amount of romance. This time we are introduced to Clemmie, the older sister of Holly. Clemmie turns out to be just as adorable and entertaining as her sibling and I really enjoyed getting to know the rest of the family better. Originally I took this book from the library as an easy summer read to take on a road trip, but I ended up with the huge desire ...more
Karschtl
Chick-lit, mixed with a bit of detective work and adventure story. And all this mainly set in Cornwall with a big extented family (including some pets) are the main protagonists.

It is easy to read, but also nothing memorable or even reading again. The story is ok (but you know quite soon who will end up with whom), the writing style is ok as well, but it's missing something special or maybe a certain wit + humour.

I also have two other books by this author, one of them about the same family (but
Amel Armeliana
Just finished reading this book, and I gave 4 stars for it. Just like Playing James, High Society made me laugh from page to page. I love Sarah Mason writing style, so fresh and funny. Well, maybe the story not as strong as Holly's, but still...I liked it. I just wished there's more interaction between Clemmie and Sam. But overall, this book is really worthed to read, especially for chicklit lovers.
Fani
The perfect book for a vacation on the beach! Funny, light and breezy. Loved her humor and writing even though there was little in the way of suspense or romance, but it still made me feel happy and carefree. Great!!!
Cindy
This book was s***. End of.

Ok not really. I initially liked the main character (Clemmie) but lost interest after it turned out the whole book would revolve around her sister's ex-work mate being stalked by an ex-convict. Stupid. Ludicrous... and bland.

There is no need for the entire first chapter which begins in France...

The repeated attempts at humour in regards to Norman and Morgan are a fail...

Clemmie doesnt seem to get her employment prospects in order...

Clemmie comes across as extremely
Ophelia London
Loved this cute little follow up to "Playing James." I rally like this author. Wish she had more books. Rally, I do...
Nina
So funny, and definitely not trying to be anything it's not. I read this book and its prequel whenever I'm feeling down (although I prefer this one to Playing James).
Clemmie is not a perfect girl; she is a huge klutz, a bit of a ditz, and she has just been fired from her job because her ass of a boyfriend/coworker is well, an ass.
So she goes home to her parents where she tries to figure out exactly what she's doing with her life. Which turns out to be, not much. Clemmie is now stuck living bac
Veronica Widya
Well,, Sarah maybe like the detective story and she also like romance, so she decided to combine both of them. ;)
its quite creative.
she made us thought that emma's dad was kidnap her, but after i re-think again, maybe its not like that. Because if yes, it would be very simple. And after we all know that her dad wasnt kidnap her and in fact she was running from her fioncee, martin. I thought that finally she would be have a happy ending story with martin, because when sarah try hard to make us th
Mary
Termasuk salah satu chicklit favoritku yg bisa berkali2 aku baca ulang.
Buku ini termasuk lanjutan cerita Holly dan James di Pura-pura Jadi Detektif, meskipun bukan merupakan sequel karena bisa dibaca sendiri2. Tapi buat yg udh baca Playing James pasti tau gimana lucunya tokoh Holly disitu. Di High Society tokoh utamanya Clemmie Colshannon, kakak perempuan Holly, tapi Holly juga muncul lagi di buku ini dan seperti di buku sebelumnya dia tetep jadi penyebab kehebohan, dan kembali James akan muncul
Lidya Renny Chrisnawaty

Aku pinjem novel ini dari sepupuku udah lama, sebulan apa dua bulan dan rasanya males nerusin baca. Tapi karena udah pinjem jadi eman2 nggak dibaca. Halah piye to?

Ini kisah tentang Clemmie yang patah hati karena Seth, kehilangan cinta dan pekerjaan, sempat kabur ke singapore lalu balik lagi ke Cornwall. Drama keluarga banget deh. Ayah yang bijaksana, Ibu yang penyayang satwa, Kakak dan adik. Biasa aja gitu.

Sampai Emma, teman Holly, adik Clemmie di kantor tiba-tiba menghilang. Clemmie dan Holly
Saoirse
2 stars I always know that when I don't like a book, a lot of things shift around in my head, creating some irrational and sudden decisions about other things at random rather than focusing on the book at my hands. And that's exactly what happened to me. It just. . . it didn't occur to me no matter how hard I try to will myself. It just didn't happen. I always feel bad about it.

In all honesty, when I shut down a book when I'm still on the first thirty pages, it feels like I let the whole world d
Mirella Grace
Baca yang kedua kalinya, tetep aaah, kasih bintang 4. Emang gak sebagus buku Playing James yang tentang Holly & James sich. Tapi tetep aja seru. Penasaran juga ama gimana tampangnya Sam. Pas baca buku ini jadi kebayang-bayang gimana tampangnya Sam, James ama Barney. Kayanya slurpy banget deh, haha.

Ceritanya sendiri... gimana ya? Tadinya kupikir High Society itu tentang Clemmie yang gaul abis di kalangan High Society itu.... Tapi ternyata, High Society itu kolom gosip yang ditulis oleh Emma -
Sally N
I enjoyed Sarah Mason's "Playing James" but this one fell flat for me. The character development was lacking, certain plot points were repeated at so many times it was like being hit on the head with a brick yet some aspects of the story seemed to lack much buildup.
I forced myself to finish mainly because I wanted to confirm that what seemed predictable was indeed going to happen (it did.)
Hobby
Actual rate : 2.5 of 5

Mmmm ... not so good, in fact rather (big) dissappointment from me.
No comedy, even the humours so (not) funny for my taste ... I miss Holly and James (again)
And i can't help myself to avoid writing this review too (-__-)

more about this book, just check my complete review at here :
( still in progress )
Haley
The first half was a little slow and confusing at parts, but I enjoyed the second half of the book much better. This was my least favorite of the three Mason books I just finished reading, but the story line was still pretty cute. Like her other books, the romance is clean and this one had a lot less language than the other two.
Chayong
Jul 19, 2010 Chayong rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chayong by: Abbey
Perhaps I read too many of Sarah Mason's books in a row. I'm glad that this is the last one available to me for the moment. I'm afraid she's running out of funny things to say. She is very consistent though. But it gets tiring when it becomes too repetitive. Some comments have been recycled from the first two books. What's sad is a comment or two was recycled in this single book. I noticed this early on while reading her first and second books; but it wasn't much of a big deal to me until I got ...more
Melissa
2.5-3.0 stars.
Not as good as Playing James, but worth a read if you can't find much of anything else and want a little, tiny taste of James and Holly. Again... the romance felt rushed, and for a chick lit there wasn't enough of it.
Lindsey Morris
Light easy read that kept me entertained....unfortunately I saw many of the "plot-twists" coming pretty early on but I enjoyed reading it and would recommend to a friend for a witty beach read.
Shauna
Following "Playing James," this sort of sequel focuses on Holly's sister Clemmie, although Holly and James still make an appearance. The title is misleading, because neither Holly nor Clemmie are society girls, nor do either write for the society column (which is what I thought was going to happen), but the story is more about a mystery involving the previous society column writer. Holly and Clemmie get mixed up in the mystery, pulling their family and friends along for the silly ride. I enjoyed ...more
Diah Didi
this book is about Clemmie, Holly' sister (read Playing James). I kinda like it and put myself more on her than to Holly. Playing James is soooo funny and I was expecting that this one would be funny also. But it's not. It's still funny, but Playing James IS a lot funnier. Unfortunately, in this book, Holly was not characterized as she was in Playing James. Holly in this book is serious and characterized more perfect, not silly enough.
Vincentia Endah
Sep 28, 2007 Vincentia Endah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the one who loves romantic comedy
Another romantic comedy's novel from sarah mason.
Still, I do more like playing james, but this is okay.
Since I'm a dreamer, no wonder I hope so much that clemmie will be ended up with Sam. Somehow, Barney and Charlotte is so obvious.
But once again, man ....! If clemmie not so open to Sam, there's no way will be Sam-Clemmie. C'mon guys, you're the one that must take initiative (at least in my culture) :p
Sx
Given how much I loved Playing James, Society Girls was a let down. Sure, it had the some characters from Playing James but they didn't feel as vibrant as they were in the first book. Holly in particular, seemed like she had a personality change since the first book.

I found the writing rather formulaic and the conflicts were glossed over rather than delved into. An all round average read.
QNPoohBear
This is a companion to Playing James. Holly's sister, Clemmie, unwittingly gets involved in a mystery surrounding a missing heiress. It was cute but not as good as Playing James. It was more of a mystery, which isn't really to my tastes. Clemmie Colshannon is not as charming as her sister, Holly. If you read Playing James and want to know what happens to Holly next, then read this one too.
Bridget
Not as enjoyable as her first book, Playing James, but I did enjoy the main character, Clemmie. She and Holly are so like me that I found I could put myself in their shoes, but they still had personalities. And the antics that occur and her siblings are just so great.

Still, it just kinda lacked the spirit I loved so much in her previous book.
Luiza Cavalcanti
The story was a little disappointing if you read playing James, the characters changed a bit from the previous one. A good read, but not as good as the first one. Though I would like to see a bit more of Clemmie and Sam, how The play turned out or how Barney came close to his secret girl.
Krista Joy
bitin, I want more of sam! at first I seem not to like it... BUT I HOLD ON, LOVE IT AND END UP BITTERLY with my LIFE! HAHAHAHA I suddenly want to be in their life and of course some Sam in my life. best of sarah mason for me :)
Beth
Cute book. I liked that is involved the same crazy family as Playing James, however I did not like this book quite as well as Playing James. With that said, this was still a fun and quick read.
Sandra (Page by Page)
the story didn't stick long enough in my mind.

too many characters n much standard conflicts.

the ending is predictable.
Ali
a little predictable and not as interesting as the first. it was also a little unnecessary to switch the perspective to the other sister.
Christian
I almost died in boredom while reading this book. Reading Playing James makes me hoping that this book is better. It doesn't, baby.
  • A Girl's Best Friend
  • Stately Pursuits
  • Honey Trap
  • The Nearly-Weds
  • Love Trainer
  • Lost & Found (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Running Away from Richard
  • Where Have All the Boys Gone?
  • Bachelor Boys
  • Reality TV Bites
  • Wanderlust
  • Tallie's Knight
Sarah Mason was born on 1971, and grew up near the sea in Cornwall, England. She obtained a degree in Maths from University of Bristol. At the age of 25 she began importing gourmet popcorn from USA and selling it to everyone from Sainsbury's to Virgin cinemas, she soon became a millionaire and was running a company with a seven figure turnover. When she married she sold the business on, she decide ...more
More about Sarah Mason...

Colshannon (2 books)
  • Playing James
Playing James Party Girl Sea Fever Omnibus: The Party Season / Playing James Emily Wears a Rainbow