Start by marking “The Cat At Night” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Cat At Night

Dahlov Ipcar

The Cat At Night

Join the farmer's cat on his fascinating nighttime journey through fields, farms, forests, and even the city to see what only he can see after the sun sets. Legendary artist Dahlov Ipcar mesmerizingly alternates between dark night scenes and vivid color to deliver a beautifully illustrated children's classic.
Published 1969 by DoubleDay

To ask other readers questions about The Cat At Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat At Night

Jill
Jan 04, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Another one from Aunt Sally. I like the unusual spin of showing the same illustration--once in shadow then seeing it through the eyes of a cat at night. I think Sally told me this artist lives close to her in Maine--near Five Islands (if I'm getting that name right). She pointed out her house when we were in the area for fresh lobster and steamers.
Bonnie
Jul 28, 2009 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I love this! Newly re-issued this year (originally published in 1969), her art is reminiscent of Wanda Gag's work and Eve Rice's Goodnight, Goodnight. The contrast of silhouette spreads with colored spreads lends the book to many uses with pre-k and up audiences, and creates a mini-mystery on each set of pages.
Milena
Feb 15, 2012 Milena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a quite unique book. The story is about all the things that a cat does during the night, all the places it goes, and all the animals he encounters. The illustrations are amazing and interesting since they represent the vision of the cat at night. Dahlov is the best. Recommended age: 6 years old or more.
Sara Tranum
May 15, 2016 Sara Tranum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
The Cat at Night is a delightful book for the busy mom to read (with kids). From the fields to the town, the farmer’s cat will take you on a journey of all the wondrous things to be seen and excitement that awaits after nightfall. After all, who hasn’t wondered what adventures your cats have while you sleep?

The story in The Cat at Night is a simple, yet marvelous. Ms. Ipcar introduces concepts that are sure to be new and fascinating to young readers such as night vision and nocturnal creatures.
Allison
Ipcar's charming picture book describes a cat's nightly routine in the country and city. Her beautiful illustrations depict both the nighttime version (what we see) and then what the cat can see. The first is nothing but a dark blue background with black silhouettes in various shapes. These work to help children anticipate and try to identify objects based on shapes. The following spread shows what the cat sees, which is full of color and detail. As the cat lives on a farm, she walks through tab ...more
Dina
Mar 08, 2015 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting depiction of how a cat sees at night. I especially like the double views of the same scene: the first 2-page spread shows you nights as we see it--dark with shadowy silhouettes; next, the way the cat sees it-- as if it were light as day. It's fun to guess what the cat sees based on the silhouettes.
Melle
Apr 14, 2015 Melle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids of all ages who love cats and cuddles
This is the kind of book I can imagine my Grandma B. reading with me on her lap when I was a girl -- a soft, sweet, gentle, gorgeously-illustrated story about a cat's adventures after the farm family goes to bed.
Cassandra
Take a journey with a cat through the many beauties of nighttime. You’ll first the scene as it would appear to you and then to your cat. This sweet and simple book will invite readers to wonder what their cats do all night!
Sara
May 16, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful illustrations. A neat story - I love the contrast between what humans see at night and what a cat sees.
Lea
Feb 23, 2010 Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Little Fisherman was our family's first introduction to Ipcar. I enjoy The Cat at Night even more!
Dannie
Jul 03, 2013 Dannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Beautiful illustrations, engaging for kids, and lots of prepositions (among, beneath, through, etc.)
Krystin
Krystin rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Lucy June Whitefords
Lucy June Whitefords rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Pandj
Pandj rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2013
Barb
Barb rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2008
Roberta Finney
Roberta Finney rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Auk
Auk rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Becky R.
Becky R. rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
susan
susan rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Stevie
Stevie rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Cassidy Grogan
Cassidy Grogan rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sneakers, the Seaside Cat
  • Peggy
  • It's All About Me-Ow
  • And Away We Go!
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • What Will Hatch?
  • Circle Dogs
  • Born in the Wild: Baby Mammals and Their Parents
  • Come Over to My House
  • Goodbye Mog
Dahlov Ipcar was an American painter, illustrator and author.
More about Dahlov Ipcar...