Start by marking “The Cat At Night” as Want to Read:
The Cat At Night

Dahlov Ipcar

The Cat At Night

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Join the farmer's cat on his fascinating nighttime journey through fields, farms, forests, and even the city to see what only he can see after the sun sets. Legendary artist Dahlov Ipcar mesmerizingly alternates between dark night scenes and vivid color to deliver a beautifully illustrated children's classic.
Published 1969 by DoubleDay

To ask other readers questions about The Cat At Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat At Night

Allison
Ipcar's charming picture book describes a cat's nightly routine in the country and city. Her beautiful illustrations depict both the nighttime version (what we see) and then what the cat can see. The first is nothing but a dark blue background with black silhouettes in various shapes. These work to help children anticipate and try to identify objects based on shapes. The following spread shows what the cat sees, which is full of color and detail. As the cat lives on a farm, she walks through tab ...more
Jill
Another one from Aunt Sally. I like the unusual spin of showing the same illustration--once in shadow then seeing it through the eyes of a cat at night. I think Sally told me this artist lives close to her in Maine--near Five Islands (if I'm getting that name right). She pointed out her house when we were in the area for fresh lobster and steamers.
Bonnie
I love this! Newly re-issued this year (originally published in 1969), her art is reminiscent of Wanda Gag's work and Eve Rice's Goodnight, Goodnight. The contrast of silhouette spreads with colored spreads lends the book to many uses with pre-k and up audiences, and creates a mini-mystery on each set of pages.
Milena
This is a quite unique book. The story is about all the things that a cat does during the night, all the places it goes, and all the animals he encounters. The illustrations are amazing and interesting since they represent the vision of the cat at night. Dahlov is the best. Recommended age: 6 years old or more.
Dina
Interesting depiction of how a cat sees at night. I especially like the double views of the same scene: the first 2-page spread shows you nights as we see it--dark with shadowy silhouettes; next, the way the cat sees it-- as if it were light as day. It's fun to guess what the cat sees based on the silhouettes.
Melle
Apr 14, 2015 Melle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids of all ages who love cats and cuddles
This is the kind of book I can imagine my Grandma B. reading with me on her lap when I was a girl -- a soft, sweet, gentle, gorgeously-illustrated story about a cat's adventures after the farm family goes to bed.
EJP
A cute story that helps educate about cats with fascinating illustrations.
Jody
Cats really do get around at night!
Cassie
Take a journey with a cat through the many beauties of nighttime. You’ll first the scene as it would appear to you and then to your cat. This sweet and simple book will invite readers to wonder what their cats do all night!
Sara
Beautiful illustrations. A neat story - I love the contrast between what humans see at night and what a cat sees.
Dannie
Beautiful illustrations, engaging for kids, and lots of prepositions (among, beneath, through, etc.)
Lea
The Little Fisherman was our family's first introduction to Ipcar. I enjoy The Cat at Night even more!
Mushi
Pam
Beautifully illustrated story of a cat and what he does all night long.
Danielle
Bold, modern illustrations.
Very cool cat.
Love the dark, silhouetted pages.
Anselm
this one's a knock out. better than symbolism, and most movies.
Mckinley
Like the 2 visions - the darkness and how the cat sees it all.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 08, 2013 Sarah Sammis marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Design of the Picture Book
Shelves: pc, exwishlist
The Hayward Bookshop
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
JosephG10
JosephG10 marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Raising Readers
Raising Readers marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
  • How to Be a Cat
  • Alphabeasties and Other Amazing Types
  • The Circus Ship
  • Flashlight
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Sneakers, the Seaside Cat
  • Sidewalk Flowers
  • Little Bo
  • What Will Hatch?
  • You Are Stardust
A Dark Horn Blowing The Queen of Spells Hardscrabble Harvest My Wonderful Christmas Tree Dahlov Ipcar's Wild Animal Alphabet