Start by marking “Can You Greet the Whole Wide World?: 12 Common Phrases in 12 Different Languages” as Want to Read:

You can begin the day by saying, “Good morning!” Or you could say, “Guten morgen,” or “buon giorno,” too. They all mean “good morning” in different languages!

In this book you can learn how to say “thank you” and “please” in Chinese and “no” in French, and “yes” in Zulu.

Twelve common phrases, twelve very different languages (German, Hebrew, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Hindi,
Published May 22nd 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Can You Greet the Whole Wide World?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can You Greet the Whole Wide World?

Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited by Aldous HuxleyAround the World in Eighty Days by Jules VerneThe War of the Worlds by H.G. WellsDanny the Champion of the World by Roald DahlLet the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
The World
64th out of 183 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
This is a fun book. The English language story includes simple rhymes that take a child (cat actually and the rest are human children; I found that slightly weird but I suspect that kids will accept this without questioning) through a school day and then the rest of their day, and each of 12 pages lists a word or phrase and then gives the translation for that word or phrase in twelve other languages. The pronunciation of all is also given, which is very helpful for languages unfamiliar to the re ...more
Jacey
Sep 18, 2015 Jacey rated it liked it
I like how this book introduces common phrases in 12 different languages. I think children should know at least some of these phrases in the most common languages (maybe not Hindi or Zulu) as part of their basic knowledge. It shows the diversity across ethnicities and makes kids more open to differences. I thought it was very interesting how the main character was a cat instead of a human like all of his peers. I like this idea, though, because it doesn't favor a certain ethnicity or show one as ...more
Kara Buck
Feb 21, 2016 Kara Buck rated it really liked it
This is a good book that shows different ways of saying common words or phrases in different languages. It even shows where these different languages are spoken on a map in the back of the book. This book is very educational and I think students could have a lot of fun with it. I chose this book because it would be a great tool to teach some easy words and phrases to my class in different languages.
Ananya
Dec 13, 2015 Ananya rated it it was amazing
A great book to introduce rhymes as well as 12 different languages of the world. My daughter is 3.5 years old. We pick one language every day to make it interesting to read. She loves it.
Nora
Sep 26, 2014 Nora rated it it was amazing
I am definitely getting this one for my school!
Dianna
Oct 31, 2010 Dianna rated it liked it
I didn't love the pictures or the text, although they were serviceable; what I loved were the twelve common phrases presented in twelve different languages, complete with pronunciation. My four-year-old is very interested in other languages lately, so this was just right for him.
Marilyn
Jun 13, 2013 Marilyn rated it it was ok
Fun drawings and a good introduction to other languages and cultures, although trying to learn 12 at once seems overwhelming. Some of the way the phonetic pronunciations were written were inconsistent but (for the languages I'm familiar with) sounded accurate enough.
Paula
It has a lot of different languages that compares one word on every spread, there is also the pronunciation of every word in the different languages. The main character is a cat. Short text and colorful illustrations.
Denicemarcell
will be adding these greetings to my answer machine
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Kenna
Kenna added it
Feb 21, 2016
Brandy Luther
Brandy Luther rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Ananya S
Ananya S rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Gabby
Gabby added it
Oct 10, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Kate Parkinson
Kate Parkinson rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2012
Elsbeth
Elsbeth rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2012
Melissa Levy
Melissa Levy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2012
Cmlc
Cmlc added it
Apr 27, 2012
Aubrey Hartman
Aubrey Hartman rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2011