Leaf Storm and Other Stories

Leaf Storm and Other Stories

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,733 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Contains the Novella Leaf Storm: 'SUDDENLY, AS IF A WHIRLWIND HAD SET DOWN ROOTS IN THE CENTRE OF THE TOWN, THE BANANA COMPANY ARRIVED, PURSUED BY THE LEAF STORM'

As a blizzard of warehouses and amusement parlours and slums descends on the small town of Macondo, the inhabitants reel at the accompanying stench of rubbish that makes their home unrecognisable. When the banana...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published 1955)

Nicole~
I have a great affection for Leaf Storm. And a great compassion for the guy who wrote it. I can see him clear as day: he's a boy of twenty-two, twenty-three, who thinks he's never going to write another thing in his life, this is his only chance, so he tries to put everything in, everything he remembers and everything he's learned about technique and literary craft in all the authors he's read. - Gabriel Garcia Marquez: El Manifesto (Bogotá, 1977)

Leaf Storm (1955) is the story of a colonel, a ma...more
Kerilynn Pederson
i will read anything marquez writes......grocery list, doodles, short story, novel.....
Heidi Garrett
What can I say?

There is a reason that Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a master. He didn’t just have a unique and powerful way of writing, he also had a unique and powerful way of seeing the world around him.

I am also reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez, A Life by Gerald Martin. It has been a fascinating journey, reading Leaf Storm as I read about the early years of his life in Colombia and traveling in Europe, what used to be the U.S.S.R., the United States, and Cuba.

It was easy to give this book 5 stars...more
missy lambert
Feb 27, 2008 missy lambert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to missy by: Kyoko Mori
Shelves: fiction
I liked every single story in this book. Every story made me feel simultaneously desperate and thrilled. I love the unabashed embracing of myth and mystery, the adventurous use of language (like in "The Last Ghost Ship," a six-page story constructed of a single sentence and only one period), and the unflinching examination of the human condition. I don't know how Garcia Marquez does it, but I am so glad he does.
Bennard
from The Book Hooligan

"Arriving there, mingled with the human leaf storm, dragged along by its impetuous force, came the dregs of warehouses, hospitals, amusement parlors, electric plants; the dregs made up of single women and men who tied their mules to hitching posts by the hotel, carrying their single piece of baggage, a wooden trunk or a bundle of clothing, and in a few months, each had his own house, two mistresses, and the military title that was due him for having arrived late for the war...more
Chocolate Shinkansen
I absolutely adore Gabriel Garcia Marquez's stories, and it was The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World that I first read. After that, I read The Very Old Man with Enormous Wings, and I was hooked. Marquez's use of language established perfectly understandable images that portrayed just what the story was trying to convey. I can't wait to read the rest of his stories.
Nathan
Dec 27, 2007 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Leaf Collectors
Marquez has a very particular way that carries you further into his world of fantasy and solitude, which in turn, takes me further into my own world. Some of his best short stories are in this collection.
Matt
I particularly enjoy García Márquez in short segments, which is why I find all of his short stories to be absolutely amazing...particularly if one has lived in or visited South America.
Ela Moreno
This is one of my favorite collections, primarily because it includes the story, "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings". That story has been one of my favorites since I was young.
Tandis Toofanian
من از تصور اینکه خدا هست، درست همان اندازه آشفته می شوم که فکر کنم خدا نیست
به همین دلیل ترجیح می دهم درباره ی آن فکر نکنم
Realini
Gabriel García Márquez

One Of These Days by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Perspective, fantasy and flow

It takes less seven minutes to read this short story.
Instead of reading a ‘review” about it, one is better off reading the story.
Besides, there is a spoiler alert- my notes are more and more about Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow and less about the story itself.
Yes, the story sets some wheels in motion, but in many cases the cart is going on very different tracks.

The two characters of this extremely (?)...more
Marie Chow
Renz Homer Cerillo
One does not simply rate G.G. Marquez’s wondrous books with 4 stars or lower. It should always be five stars. But I have a not-so-good explanation, and a very stupid and personal one, why I gave this one 4 stars only.

The main dilemma I had while reading this is that I have a major headache. However, I really felt like I should finish it that night since my pile of to-read books is just growing in an exponential rate. I really have to catch up. So in my reading feat, I found Leaf Storm really de...more
Shelly Sanders
I can't believe it's taken me this long to read a book by the incomparable Gabriel Garcia Marques. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1982, and has written One Hundred Years of Solitude (which I'll be reading with my book club this year), and Love in the Time of Cholera. I am now on a mission to read everything he's written as I fell in love with his imagery, his characters, his stories. But I need to set time aside to focus on his work. It would be a mistake to rush through his words, for...more
Ahmad
داستانهای: «توفان برگ»، «زیباترین مرد مغروق جهان»، «مردی بسیار پیر با بالهای بسیار بزرگ»، «بلکمان خوش قلب»، «فروشنده معجزات»، «آخرین سفر کشتی ارواح»، «گفتگوی ایزابل با خود به هنگام تماشای باراد در ماکوندو»، «نابو سیاه پوستی که فرشتگان را در انتظار میگذاشت»ا
Shannon
I've always felt that Gabriel Garcia Marquez had a lyrical yet stark quality in his writing. This collection of stories-- LEAF STORM AND OTHER STORIES-- includes the two first pieces I ever read of his, ones that created an indelible mark on my reading. "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" and "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World" are absolutely lovely and poignant. They are definitely my favorites. "The Last Voyage of the Ghost Ship" is one long sentence, six pages long, but it reads simply...more
Erdi
Even though we all love The Man With Enormous Wings, the doctor in Leaf Storm is one of the most interesting and melancholic characters ever. Agree?
Arousiak Turabian

Monologue of Isabel Watching it Rain in Macondo
Ashley
Nov 21, 2011 Ashley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ashley by: My boyfriend
I inherited this book from my boyfriend, who bought it after I introduced him to One Hundred Years of Solitude. His favourite story was "A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings" about an old man that is found in a town and abused as a public spectacle despite his angel-like qualities and the positive effect he has on the lives of those who found him. I also enjoyed "The Last Voyage of the Ghost Ship" and "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World," the former about a man ostracized by society for what...more
Bruan
The scenes of the Colonel and the Doctor fully demonstrates a remarkably controlled style of writing which is a joy to unravel sentence after sentence:

"But on that last night on the veranda, one of the hottest and heaviest I can remember, he seemed understanding as on few occasions. The only thing that seemed alive in the midst of that immense oven was the dull reverberation of the crickets, aroused by the thirst of nature, and the tiny, insignificant, and yet measureless activity of the rosema
rachel
I had the same reaction to this book that I recently had to the film Up: can't say it isn't well done, but boy does it leave me cold. I prefer Marquez in a longer form, where his vision of the human world layered with magical folklore has more space to develop, to find an even balance between surreal happenings and real human feeling.

The novella "Leaf Storm" is almost entirely realistic, separating it from the more popular shorter pieces in this collection and from the magic that Marquez is kno...more
Bennievermeer
"There's a moment when siesta time runs dry. Even the secret, hidden, minute activity of the insects ceases at that precise instant; the course of nature comes to a halt; creation stumbles on the brink of chaos and women get up, drooling, with the flower of the embroidered pillowcase on their cheeks, suffocated by temperature and rancor..."

Read more: http://brnrd.net/blog/archive/2014/04...
Bridget
In "Leaf Storm" Marquez subverts Antigone, making his protagonist an upstanding man who promises to bury the town of Macondo's long- and universally-detested doctor before realizing why everyone else in Macondo would rejoice at the sight of the doctor's desecrated, unburied corpse. With deftly handled multiple narrators, insights into how children make sense of death, and sublime language, "Leaf Stories" is a standout novella. Go Gabriel Garcia Marquez!
Bill S.
I read that Garcia Marquez was influenced by Faulkner. You can certainly see this as he employs stream of consciousness, multiple perspectives, and places one honorable character amongst a society in decay. Unfortunately, another characteristic of Faulkner also shows itself in this novella - boredom. The story is simply tedious. This was disappointing since "A Chronicle of a Death Foretold" was so remarkable.
Jenny Baker
This was my first Gabriel Garcia Marquez book and it didn't take me long to see why he's a Nobel winner. I can see why readers fall in love with his books. He instantly grabs your attention. The first sentence is "I've seen a corpse for the first time." Who wouldn't want to read more after reading that awesome opening line? I'm looking forward to reading more of his work, especially One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera.
Louise
Leaf Storm is the fifth story I've read by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
I actually have it as a separate novella, but couldn't find it and, my apologies, I don't know what 'other stories' are contained in this edition.
Although I read One Hundred Years of Solitude first, followed by No-one Writes to the Colonel, Love in the Time of Cholera and Chronicle of a Death Foretold, I chose to read Leaf Storm next after realising it was his first story.
Set in the fictional town of Maconda, which appears in his...more
Dan
Reading the first story in this book required some patience. Marquez maintains a firm control over the regulation of narrative information. There is little conventional exposition; narrative events are represented in a fragmented and oblique form, through the consciousnesses of those characters through whom the narratives are focalized. Thus, the reader has to reconstruct the narrative events from the characters' impressions. Moreover, there are frequent flashbacks; thus, the reader has also to...more
Richard
I hadn't read this for years and not really why I chose to read it after Marquez died. It's a fascinating novella, full of death and fear and love and more than enough wonder. What struck me most though was how much the style reminded me of Hemmingway. Fierce and tender.
Alex
Wasn't quite sure what to expect. Less sure what the second reading will bring.
Rhys
A collection of early Marquez stories that includes his very first novel, *Leaf Storm*. I actually prefer later Marquez, when his style became clearer and crisper, but almost anything by this author is worth reading. *Leaf Storm* is a dense multi-layered work told from many differing viewpoints that concerns a mysterious doctor who arrives in Macondo one day and never leaves. Other stories in this volume include the fabulous 'Last Voyage of the Ghost Ship', perhaps the best story in this book, a...more
The Handsomest drowned man in the world 1 20 Sep 14, 2013 02:00AM
toofane barg 1 2 Jul 31, 2008 12:10AM
  • Tickets for a Prayer Wheel: Poems (A Breakthrough book)
  • Sugar and Other Stories
  • Sklepy cynamonowe; Sanatorium pod Klepsydrą
  • Strange News from Another Star (20th Century Classics)
  • Asylum Piece
  • Nabokov's Dozen: A Collection of Thirteen Stories‏ (Anchor Literary Library)
  • The Teachings of Don B.
  • White Walls: Collected Stories
  • Open
  • The Essential Hemingway
  • Under the Jaguar Sun
  • Thoughts and Meditations
  • The Blessing Stone
  • A Calendar of Wisdom: Daily Thoughts to Nourish the Soul
  • You've Got to Read This: Contemporary American Writers Introduce Stories that Held Them in Awe
  • The Green House
  • Gabriel García Márquez: a Life
  • The Missing Head of Damasceno Monteiro
Gabriel José de la Concordia Garcí­a Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. Garcí­a Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and late worked as a reporter for the Colombian...more
More about Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez...
One Hundred Years of Solitude Love in the Time of Cholera Chronicle of a Death Foretold Memories of My Melancholy Whores Of Love and Other Demons

“As I hear him, I understand that he's not more moronic because of the brandy than he is because of his cowardice.” 4 likes
“Everyone will have gone then except us, because we're tied to this soil by a roomful of trunks where the household goods and clothing of grandparents are kept, and the canopies that my parenrs' horses used when they came to Macondo, fleeing from the war. We've been sown into this soil by the memory of the remote dead whose bones can no longer be found twenty fathoms under the earth. The trunks have been in the room ever since the last days of the war; and they'll be there this afternoon when we come back from the burial, if that final wind hasn't passed, the one that will sweep away Macondo, its bedrooms full of lizards and its silent people devastated by memories.” 3 likes