Dark Highland Fire (The MacInnes Werewolves Trilogy, #2)

Dark Highland Fire (The MacInnes Werewolves #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  400 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Gabriel MacInnes has led a charmed life. A Highland werewolf of Alpha lineage, he'd always thought that, as the second son, he'd never have to worry much about responsibility. But with his Pack now squarely in the sights of an ancient and rediscovered enemy, everything has begun to change.
Published October 1st 2008 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published July 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Highland Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Highland Fire

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Oct08

Goddesses, dragons, werewolves, prophecies, magic…this series has all those things that make my heart go pitty-pat. “Dark Highland Fire” is the second book in Kendra Leigh Castle’s exciting tale of an alternate world where the balance has gone horribly wrong, and its connection to Earth. I read and loved her first book, “Call of the Highland Moon” which introduced a world just like ours where paranormal creatures run amok. Although it’s not neces...more
Kaleigha
Book one of Kendra Leigh Castle's Werewolf Trilogy was a good book, but this one was better. In this one, we get the story of younger, carefree brother Gabriel.

Gabriel MacInnes is a bit of a rake. As the younger brother of the future Alpha of his pack, his life is free of the grinding responsibility of his father and brother. He sort of drifts along, charming the ladies and cracking jokes. All of that changes when the stone his family has guarded for centuries drops two very unusual beings into...more
Terra
Dark Highland Fire by Kendra Leigh Castle is a romantic paranormal fantasy that draws you so deep within the soul of the story that all reality around you is completely shut out. Intensely romantic, sexual, breathtaking and crawl under your skin, mouth watering don't put it down, this novel should be on the New York Times Bestsellers list without a doubt. If you miss this novel and it's previous installment you are missing the most delicious books of the Century.

Rowan an Morgaine is a Goddess to...more
Barbara M.
(rating change...I slept on it and decided I wasn't being fair so I give it a 3 instead of a 2...)

I liked this one just ok I guess. I enjoyed the first in the series soooo much more. There was a little to much internal dialogue in most of the book for my taste...you know the kind where everyone has so much to say but their not saying anything to each other? Argh! That bothers me! Overall though Fire is a pretty descent addition to the series, but no where near as good as the first.
Margaret
Gabriel MacInnes has led a charmed life. A Highland werewolf of Alpha lineage, he'd always thought that, as the second son, he would never have to worry much about responsibility. But with his Pack now squarely in the sights of an ancient and rediscovered enemy, everything has begun to change.

Exiled from the Drakkyn realm, on the run from the dragon prince who claims her as his own, the last thing Rowan an Morgaine wants is to deal with a bunch of overbearing shifters in the middle of nowhere....more
Hbeebti
Not what I expected. This wasn't about highlanders. It was a modern paranormal tale.Full of shifters and vamps and daemons. But overall I really enjoyed it. Cant wait to read the other books to this series.
Felicia
UGH. Urban Fantasy mixed with kilts, I thought this might be good news...no sir.
Jessica
Dark Highland Fire tells the story of Gabriel MacInnes and his mate Rowan an Morgaine. Reading this one clarified a lot for me, especially about the various races that are present in the realm of Coracin. It was also interesting to read some of the backstory involving Lucien Andrakkar, who appears very prominently in the third book.
Gabriel is second in line to his brother Gideon (whose story we read in Call of the Highland Moon), which means that he has never really felt a whole lot of purpose i...more
Zeek
Dark Highland Fire is paranormal romance that throws in every magical creature you can imagine in addition to a bit of a Highland romance setting! Surprisingly the author manages to do it deftly enough to remain cohesive. (Throwing together that big a mix usually has disaster written all over it!)

The story starts off with the heroine, Rowan an Morgaine, exiled from her home dimension, working as a stripper in Reno. She's a novelty stripper- a vamp!- that pulls in a big crowd, but she's not altog...more
Erotic Horizon
Characters

Rowan an Morgaine – A much loved daughter, bath in light and happiness and knows that she is surrounded by her kind – that is until the prince of darkness takes a shine to her. Once her life changes, she comes into her own and she puts up a hell of a fight.

Gabriel MacInnes – The loved brother who was never able to understand the demands placed on his brother. The much loved son who felt like he never fitted into the world that was all he had ever known and he was also the lover that th...more
Kristina
Sexy, stubborn and irresistible

Gabriel is the younger brother to Gideon who was featured in book 1 The Call of the Highland Moon. Gabriel is tired of not knowing what his purpose is in life and feeling like something is missing from his life. He has no desire to ever be like his brother and find his mate. Well he gets that something dropped into his arms.

Rowan is a sexy stubborn demi-goddess who is being perused by a unrelenting, homicidal dragon shifter who will stop at nothing to obtain Rowan...more
Cheryl
Gabriel MacInnes is a werewolf. He has always been duty bound to protect the MacInnes wolves. Gabriel is a leader and good at what he does even if this means sacrificing waking up with a warm body in his bed. Now he must do everything he can to defend the wolves from Lucien Andrakkar, an ancient and pissed off dragon. Even if that means taking Rowan an Morgaine under his care. Rowan is a head-strong, princess. She never asked for Lucien to select her as his wife. Now she is learning just how muc...more
Rhianna
Rowan an Morgaine has been forced away from her home realm. Stuck on earth hiding in a nest of vampires and taking her clothes off in a seedy Reno strip-club, no one would know she's really an exiled demi-goddess. But as any strong woman knows, sometimes you have to do what you have to do to stay alive so that eventually you can have your revenge. With her family slain by Lucien Andrakkar, a dragon shapeshifter who wants her for his bride, she must remain in hiding or risk being carried back to...more
Karen
"A Fiery Adventure into the Drakkyn Realm"

Gabriel MacInnes is a werewolf, the second son of an Alpha Pack, who guards the Stone of Destiny. He has no desire to settle down with one woman, but then he never met a fiery demigoddess. Rowan an Morgaine is thrust upon him. He's forced to be her protector. She's stubborn, has a nasty habit of drinking blood, but fate has a sick sense of humor; Rowan may be his soul mate.

Rowan an Morgaine is running from a dragon prince, Lucien, who wants to claim her...more
Kathy
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Gabriel MacInnes is the second son of the pack alpha. He is a charming ladies man and bar owner with little purpose and wishing for a little more dircetion in his life. Be careful what you wish for. When Rowan's brother Bastien places her in Gabriel's care, sparks really start to fly. She is a firestarter....literally. She's also a demi-goddess who doesn't need anything from anybody. Oh, except for blood. She is also vampiric, smartmouthed and arrogant.
Truly terrific book. It was waaaaay funny...more
jD
Okay, this is the second one in this series. It's pretty good as plots go but it has some techical problems I can't ignore. Although this one is better than the first book, we still have too much narrative going on in people's heads which abruptly interupts conversations. It is so annoying. There is too much narrative between quotation marks. It is easy to forget what question was asked or even what the conversation is about. Ms. Castle needs to trim those long winded thoughts of the the charact...more
~Leslie~
4.5> I loved #2 in the MacInninis Werewolves Trilogy. Rowan, Princess and heir to the throne of the Goddess Morgana is being pursued by Lucian, who is a drakken and heir to their throne. He is obsessed with her but she refuses. Her brother Bastien helps her escape to the stronghold of the MacInnis Werewolves and asks Gabriel to guard her. Gabriel is the second son and a charming rather aimless one. Guarding Rowan gives him a purpose, but she wants nothing to do with it. The sparks fly and the...more
Jane (PS)
This was an enjoyable read, but with my same complaints from the first book - too much of the characters thoughts and not enough dialogue!! I have to go back a page sometimes after reading the 'thoughts' to work out what the conservation was once it kicks back in - it slows the story down. I really like the concept, I just need more 'real' interaction and less 'thoughts' to keep the storyline kicking. A bit more like Kresley Cole, JR Ward and Jean Johnson - their books explain through dialogue a...more
Bitten_by_Books
Gabriel MacInnes is perfectly content to be the 2nd son of the Pack Alpha and NOT next in line to take his father’s place. He gladly leaves that duty to his older brother Gideon and enjoys running his own pub and his reputation as a lady’s man. The last thing he ever expected was to find himself protecting a beautiful, blood-sucking demi-goddess from a dragon prince determined to make her his wife...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban Fantasy Review site on the web...more
Nancy
Dark Highland Fire (The MacInnes Werewolves Trilogy, #2)

I love this author and went on to read everything she's written to date. That is, except her latest which I want to buy in print. The only reason books read are not posted here at Goodreads is because I started several years ago posting them to another site...and there are now over 1600 books there (and several months behind of adding others), which I'm unable to transfer over here and too many to do so. I keep in touch with Goodreads becau...more
Daniela
Well, considering that I normally read a book in under a week and this has been months... besides having to share the e-reader with my son...and having felt it necessary to read a few books on autism... it apperently wasn't convincing enough to compell me to try to wrestle the e-reader off my son... when I finish it a complete review will follow... it wasn't at all bad, just not gripping, I guess..
SheLove2Read
Pretty good. I liked the male character Gabriel. I wasn't crazy about the female lead, Rowan, but then again I've never been a big fan of the alpha female either. Rowan is definitely an alpha female and she and Gabriel go toe to toe throughout the whole book. Lots of humor if you like sarcasm. Reminded me a little too much of Kresley Cole's latest paranormal however.
Jackie (Literary Escapism)
I really enjoyed this novel and feel really lucky that I got to read it ahead of it’s release on October 1st. For anyone who loves a new twist on werewolves and their magical counterparts, then they should definitely check out Kenda Leigh Castle.

To read my full review, click here.
Robin
I got to review this book for Romance Junkies. I really liked it. It was her second book ever and she did really well. I even did her first book in this series. I liked that one so much that I would have taken Gideon home to meet Mom. Werewolves are so alpha and demanding yet if you get the right one he's suitable to take home to meet the rest of the family.
Sharon
I didn't like this book quite as much as the first, because I felt that Rowan and Gabriel had a love-hate relationship that weighed a little too heavily on the hate aspect. Carly and Gideon were more fun. I still liked the story though, and am looking forward to reading the last book in the trilogy, with Rowan's mysterious and haunted brother Bastian. :)
Netanella
Why did I wait so long to read this book? Very, very well done paranormal romance that seemingly has everything thrown into it - highlanders, dragonshifters, werewolves, vampires, demons, forest dyads, other dimensions - but still blends it all together like your best tropical smoothie on hot summer day.
Melissa Levine
I had a hard time with the first book but thought I'd still go ahead and give this one a try. Nope, just couldn't get through much of it. Same problem as before in the first, nothing really going on and too much narrative/talking about nothing important.
Aleksandra
I should give it only one star but I cant say that I completely didn't like it. There was few fun moments... but overall tt was just to cliche. And seriously - I'm starting to hate the idea of love at first sight. Bleh. Give me real romance, please!
Sheila Grindatti
Ok this is how you write a book... I'm so glad I didn't stop at the first book. I loved the characters and for the most part the flow of the story. You finally get a chance to see the dynamics at play in this world and have it make story sence.
  • Embracing the Wolf (Ritter Werewolves, #2)
  • Legend of the White Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #4)
  • Immortal Wolf (Draicon Werewolves, #5)
  • Tall, Dark and Wolfish (Westfield Wolves, #2)
  • Deadman's Blood (Blood Series, #5)
  • Highland Fires (Druid's Glen, #4)
  • The Dracons' Woman (The Soul-Linked Saga #1)
  • Cherished (Mystic Wolves #1B)
  • King of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #3)
  • Portal Guardians (Clash of the Otherworlds, #3)
Kendra Leigh Castle is the author of numerous paranormal romances, including the MacInnes Werewolves trilogy, the RITA award-nominated Renegade Angel, the Dark Dynasties series, and the Hearts of the Fallen series. 2014 will see the release of her first contemporary romance, For the Longest Time, which will be the first in her Harvest Cove series. Kendra lives in Maryland with her husband, childre...more
More about Kendra Leigh Castle...
Dark Awakening (Dark Dynasties #1) Call of the Highland Moon (The MacInnes Werewolves Trilogy, #1) Midnight Reckoning (Dark Dynasties #2) Shadow Rising (Dark Dynasties, #3) Immortal Craving (Dark Dynasties, #4)