Start by marking “Wave” as Want to Read:
Wave

Wave

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  2,366 Ratings  ·  346 Reviews
In this evocative wordless book, internationally acclaimed artist Suzy Lee tells the story of a little girl's day at the beach.

New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book 2008
Published April 16th 2008 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wave

David Schaafsma
Jan 14, 2016 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Well, I read recently Lee's Mirror and had read other work by her, so I saw that by far the most read and liked book of hers on Goodreads is Wave. It doesn't have the emotional complexity of Mirror and it's just "up," more than anything else, but it's not sappy or simplistic, either. The art is great, with lots of space for reflection and contemplation, pencils and watercolors. It's a wordless or silent story about a girl who creates a playful relationship with a wave, a friendship. I liked it a ...more
Manybooks
The antics of a little girl encountering waves on the beach are evocative, sweetly humouros, and of course, wordless, although I do kind of wish that the mother had been rather more visible in the background and that the little girl had worn a life jacket or personal floatation device. This small lack does not really take all that much from my enjoyment of Suzy Lee's Wave, but the sea can be dangerous and unpredictable, and proper safety precautions and supervision are both important and necessa ...more
Kathryn
Jul 17, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Charming wordless picture book that tells the story of a young girl's encounter with the waves—from her initial timidity at the new experience, to brash taunting that the wave won't get her, to humble-pie-ing when it *does*--discovering treasures that it washes ashore. In the end, she has found a new friend in the sea and "waves" a fond farewell.
Jan Philipzig
Jan 20, 2016 Jan Philipzig rated it really liked it
Wordless meditation on childhood and its relationship to nature - poetic and wonderful (if all too brief).
Lisa Vegan
May 11, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of brilliant wordless picture books, the ocean, the beach, nature, humor
Oh, I just loved this book. It’s brilliant in every way. I was completely charmed.

It’s the wordless story of a young girl who goes to the beach with her mother/a female adult, and it’s about her, some birds, some beach finds, and some waves/the ocean.

Any young child or any person who took at least one beach trip as a child will perfectly understand the events.

Recently, some Goodreads’ members and I were talking about the book Karen and I remember one line from that book, paraphrased here, that:
Crystal Marcos
Jan 18, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it liked it
Recommends it for: wordless picture book lovers and beach/ocean admirers
A delightful wordless picture book brought to my attention by the Children’s Picture Book Club monthly discussions found here http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4... It is about a little girl at the beach and her interactions with a wave and some friendly seagulls. Fun illustrations with simple color choices, blue, white, and black make this book worth the read. One thing that was a bit perplexing and slightly annoying was in some of the illustrations the poor little girl lost a limb because of ...more
Noran Miss Pumkin
Dec 20, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it it was amazing
beautiful-one of the best kid's artsy books i have fallen in love with this year. simple and lovely story of a girl and the ocean waves--made wish for San Fran again--we stay on the ocean side every time.
Dov Zeller
Jan 15, 2016 Dov Zeller rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is a beautiful, wordless picture book which tells the story of a shifting relationship between a kid and some ocean waves. There's a lot of humor, and allegorical undercurrents. It's working on a lot of levels at once, and the art is great.
Cynthia
Oct 05, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
My 9 yr old daughter brought this home from the school library. It has no words, only simple, beautiful drawings of a girl on the shore and of course, waves. You can make up your own story. My daugher and I have shared "reading" this together and it starts discussions about our times at the beach. Just a lovely, simple delight.
Dolly
Feb 03, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful wordless book about a little girl playing at the ocean. It was fun for us to "read" this book together, and reminisce about our years living in Hawaii. Our girls were quite adamant that her mommy must've been close by, since she could've been pulled out to sea by the big wave and the undertow.

They also pointed out that, "you should never turn your back to the ocean," an important lesson we have taught them. The illustrations were simple, with only shades of black, white, gra
Genie
Sep 22, 2011 Genie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
As a teacher:
This wordless book uses 4 elements of design that provides the reader with a wonderful imagination/meaningful connections of a day at the beach. Suzy Lee uses charcoal as a medium to illustrate the mesmerizing wave that the little girl of the story interacts with. Lee uses curved and straight lines to show off the wave's movements as it builds up in the ocean or as it crashes onto the shore. The author also uses rolling "shapes" of the wave to allow for interpretation of the fluidit
Jenne
Feb 23, 2011 Jenne rated it it was amazing
One of the nice things about cataloging for a library is you get to see all the different books other people ordered. Every so often will catch my eye and I have to stop and look at it. Now I must admit this happens most with children's books and the ones with gorgeous pictures of food. :)Anyway, this was one of the books that came across my desk, and I couldn't resist flipping through it.

I have always enjoyed wordless books and this one was no exception. I love the simple black and white line
Quynh
May 30, 2012 Quynh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: les-enfants
I read this book during the time of AFCC festival in Singapore. After her presentation about the trilogy: Wave, Mirror and The shadow, all of her books were out of stock. The border between the reality and the imagination is the main theme of all of her books.

It has been such a long time I did not read a book that can inspire me as much as this one.
Cindy Dobrez
Sep 26, 2008 Cindy Dobrez rated it really liked it
This wordless picture book is fabulous, with one exception. The edition I got from the library loses important parts of the illustrations in the gutter! ARGH. It's too nice of a book for that to happen!
oliviasbooks
Simple and beautiful - only black coal and blue watercolor - without words, but with plenty expression and room for inventing dialogue:

A little, cheeky girl and a flock of seagulls confront a wave at the sea shore. Who'll have the last word?
Karen
May 23, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Love, Love, Love, this book! No words, you make up the story from the pictures. Reminded me of spending time with my kids at the beach and chasing the waves. Looking forward to reading other books by Suzy Lee.
ABC
Nov 04, 2010 ABC rated it really liked it
This book shows a little girl at the beach.

It does look an awfully lot like the sea between Korea and Japan. My son remembered when I lost my sandal in the waves there.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jul 16, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it it was amazing
AMAZING! A beautifully illustrated account of a little girl's interactions with a big blue wave. Perhaps, the most splendidly simple, yet brilliant wordless picture book I've read.
Melissa Kearney
Dec 02, 2016 Melissa Kearney rated it it was amazing
Genre: Wordless picture book
Theme(s): beach, ocean, playful games, nature’s power, innocence
Opening line/sentence
No words in a wordless picture book ☺
Brief Book Summary:
In this wordless picture book, Lee tells the story of a little girl’s day at the beach. She playfully fools with and taunts the waves at the beach while seagulls watch her from behind.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Kirkus (Kirkus Reviews, May 1, 2008 (Vol. 76, No. 9))
Five gulls and a little
Amelia Aretz

Illustrator: Suzy Lee

Genre: Wordless Picturebook

Theme(s): Beach day, Ocean

Opening line/sentence:
N/A

Brief Book Summary:
A little girl is spending the day at the beach playing in the waves. She is cautious at first, not stepping in the waves and pretending to scare them. Then she gets closer and starts to jump in as the waves crash. She gets more confident splashing around and taunting big waves. Then a big one crashes on her leaving her wet and stunned. But the wave leav
Copeland
Mar 05, 2017 Copeland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wide-reading
I love wordless picture books! This book spoke to my own love of the ocean and water as a kid, and even now. I was always convinced that I had the power to control the waves, making them bigger or smaller at will. The use of just spot color and black and white is really compelling. Too often in depictions of the sea there are too many shades of blue, and so the feeling of it is lost. This book also reminded me of Moana, because the sea is given a personality, interacting with the girl the way th ...more
KidsBooksWorthReading
May 04, 2017 KidsBooksWorthReading rated it it was amazing
We just returned from a trip to the coast and had a bit of time on the beach. It was great to be near the ocean for a bit. We bought this book for my daughter when we took our first trip to the beach when she was two and a half. (Although it's great for all kids to "read") It is a simple wordless book of a curious little girl and a playful wave. The images are a perfect way to show how the ocean moves in and out with waves and just how fun they can be. I love Suzy Lee and her adorable illustrati ...more
Mackenzie Ford
Mar 24, 2016 Mackenzie Ford rated it liked it
Illustrator: Suzy Lee
Genre: Wordless Picture Book
Theme: Sea, Ocean, Fiction, Beaches, Story without words
Opening Line/Sentence: N/A

Brief Book Summary:
This book is about a young girl that visits the beach and in the beginning seems to be scared to go into the water. As the book goes on the young girl gradually gets closer till she eventually makes her way into the water. When a big wave is approaching the young girl she gets scared again running to the shore but then
Emyrose8
May 17, 2017 Emyrose8 rated it really liked it
4.5
Abby
May 14, 2017 Abby rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, perfect post-modern picture book.
Amanda Kolb
Illustrator:
Genre: Wordless picture book
Theme(s): seagulls, ocean, young girl
Opening line/sentence: none—wordless
Brief Book Summary: This book doesn’t have words, but you can tell a lot about it by the illustrations. The book appears to be about a young girl who’s at the beach by herself, but seagulls accompany her. She leans into the ocean as if she’s smelling or feeling it, but when a wave crashes close she backs up. Eventually she embraces the beauty of the ocean.
Caitlin Swoboda
The genre of this book is realistic fiction because it is a made up story about a girl that spends her day at the beach which is a realistic situation. The target audience of the book would be early elementary because the difficulty of the book is fairly easy. The copyright of the book is 2008, which is the closest I could get to 2012 with the books found at Sump Memorial Library.
Text to Self: This book reminds me a lot of the first time that I went to the beach when I was 10 years old. My mom
Michelle Warner
Dec 04, 2015 Michelle Warner rated it it was amazing
Author: Suzy Lee
Illustrator: (if different than author)
Genre: Wordless Picture Book
Theme(s): Ocean, fears, adventure
Opening line/sentence: N/A
Brief Book Summary: This book is filled with watercolor illustrations depicting a young girl, playing back and forth with the waves. There are times when she looks excited, scared, and happy. There is definite back and forth pull of emotion and actions between the waves and the little girl. Overall, this is a very charming wordless picture boo
Theresa
Sep 15, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordless
1. Wave won the New York Times's Best Illustrated Book Award in 2008 and the Golden Medal from the Society of Illustrators.
2. This book would most likely be for kindergartners through third graders.
3. A girl goes to the beach but is afraid of the water. As her courage grows, she gets closer and closer to the water. As a huge wave heads her way, she runs away from the wave, but it splashes all over her. As she gets up, she is surrounded by shells, starfishes, and other riches of the waters.
4. Eve
ESF Tsing Yi
This is a fun , wordless story of a little girl's encounter with a wave, and the splashy fun that ensues. It's not particularly complicated, but it is cheerful and engaging, and I can also see it being a nice starting point for creating sea-inspired artwork.
  • You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum
  • Flora and the Penguin
  • Unspoken: A Story from the Underground Railroad
  • Sector 7
  • The Farmer and the Clown
Suzy Lee is an artist and illustrator, born in Seoul, Korea. She received her BFA in painting from Seoul National University and her MA in Book Arts from Camberwell College of Arts, London. Her books and paintings have won numerous international awards and have been featured in exhibitions worldwide.
More about Suzy Lee...