Start by marking “The Blood Price” as Want to Read:
The Blood Price

The Blood Price

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review

In The Blood Price, a sequel of sorts to Jon Evans's award-winning debut novel, Dark Places, continent-hopping backpacker and wanderlust-afflicted computer programmer Balthazar "Paul" Wood breaks the Prime Directive of trekking: Don't get involved.

The action begins in Sarajevo (still devastated by the effects of the civil war eight years earlie
Published October 11th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood Price

Tiana Demers

There is much landscape covered here, Bosnia, Albania, Belize, San Francisco, Burning Man. We are shown populations in the first two that are scarred from the war, see something of the local economies, the corruption, and how order is maintained. For a reader looking for a fast paced action mixed in with some geeky tech stuff, this is a book for you.

This book starts out different from a lot of traveling books. The main character of the story "Paul Wood" is drunk, walking around and comes acros
SETTING: Bosnia, Albania, Latin America, California, Nevada
SERIES: #2 of 2

It’s amazing how much one rash decision can change a person’s life. Paul Wood is in the back streets of Sarajevo at 2 in the morning, a little inebriated, when he sees a truck pick up a family and their belongings. Although the family is loudly protesting, they are escorted to the pickup and go racing away. After they leave, Paul sees a little boy, about 5 years old, who has been left behin
Midge Bork
I had read Dark Places and was happy to revisit Paul Woods, a Canadian computer programmer who gets beat up a lot in a multitude of countries worldwide. If only he'd settle down. If only he'd accept the world as is, not expecting it to be a better place. If only ...
Will Byrnes
There is much landscape covered here, Bosnia, Albania, Belize, San Francisco, Burning Man. We are shown populations in the first two that are scarred from the war, see something of the local economies, the corruption, how order is maintained. A diversity of characters, settings and rich in information, Evans has offered a lot in his 422 pages. Although this is not what I would call literature, it was a very entertaining, satisfying read, a fast paced action thriller that expands our knowledge of ...more
This adult book is a great James Bond-type novel. Encountering a desperate woman while visiting Sarajevo, Paul Wood and his girlfriend, Talena, become unwitting agents of the woman's escape from a web of criminals, warlords, and would-be peacekeepers; an effort that forces Paul to do a smuggling job in exchange for safe passage.
ARC- My first review! I enjoyed the book, I found it confusing in parts, mostly because I did not understand the subculture of backpacking 20 some things who are techies too. But eventually I had it all figured out, well, at least enough to keep reading. The ending was a sit on the edge of your seat.
Emma Christina
Really good. It is not often that I read a book that is so unpredictable, I was so engrossed it was difficult to put down, especially since anything and everything could happen and I became a little too attached to the characters.
A definite improvement from Dark Places and an incredible page-turner with some great twists. I congratulate Evans on an original voice and style/subject matter in the suspense/mystery genre.
Catherine Williams
Amazing if you're thinknig of reading this don't judge it by the first few chapters trust me it get amazing after the first 6
This book was a bit too macho-like for my taste. I loved the first book, Trail of the dead, but this was a really tedious read!
Excellent, fast paced mystery/suspense. Part travelogue, part techno-geek, part murder mystery. Highly recommended.
Pretty good for a book I chose just because.
Aug 04, 2011 Abel added it
it's the best
Sasha Adams
Sasha Adams marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Cannon Nutting
Cannon Nutting is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2015
Craig Bartoldson
Craig Bartoldson marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Michael Shulman
Michael Shulman marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Ninimini is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2015
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Melissa Buot-Favazza
Melissa Buot-Favazza marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Kelly Mcleod
Kelly Mcleod marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Nicole added it
Jun 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mrs. Scrooge (A Rocky Hill Christmas) (Rocky Hill Romance)
  • Pleasure Bound: Victorian Sex Rebels and the New Eroticism
  • Janus
  • Schopenhauer: A Very Short Introduction
  • Wren Journeymage (Wren, #4)
  • Wittgenstein: A Very Short Introduction
  • Dracula Rekindled
  • Life in a Victorian Household
  • Vanishing Point (Inspector Jack Brady, #2)
  • The Drop Edge of Yonder (Alafair Tucker, #3)
  • Not Authorized (The Jake Littleton Series #2)
  • A Place of Strangers
  • The Unveiling
  • Abomination
  • The Stadium (The Peeling, #2)
  • Capable of Murder (Belinda Lawrence Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Survivors
  • Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1)
Beasts of New York: A Children's Book for Grown-Ups Invisible Armies Dark Places The Night Of Knives The Executor