The Blood Price

The Blood Price

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review

In The Blood Price, a sequel of sorts to Jon Evans's award-winning debut novel, Dark Places, continent-hopping backpacker and wanderlust-afflicted computer programmer Balthazar "Paul" Wood breaks the Prime Directive of trekking: Don't get involved.

The action begins in Sarajevo (still devastated by the effects of the civil war eight years earlie...more
Published October 11th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Tristinxd
There is much landscape covered here, Bosnia, Albania, Belize, San Francisco, Burning Man. We are shown populations in the first two that are scarred from the war, see something of the local economies, the corruption, and how order is maintained. For a reader looking for a fast paced action mixed in with some geeky tech stuff, this is a book for you.

This book starts out different from a lot of traveling books. The main character of the story "Paul Wood" is drunk, walking around and comes across...more
Tiana Demers

Maddy
RATING: 4.0
PROTAGONIST: Paul Wood
SETTING: Bosnia, Albania, Latin America, California, Nevada
SERIES: #2 of 2

It’s amazing how much one rash decision can change a person’s life. Paul Wood is in the back streets of Sarajevo at 2 in the morning, a little inebriated, when he sees a truck pick up a family and their belongings. Although the family is loudly protesting, they are escorted to the pickup and go racing away. After they leave, Paul sees a little boy, about 5 years old, who has been left behin...more
Will Byrnes
There is much landscape covered here, Bosnia, Albania, Belize, San Francisco, Burning Man. We are shown populations in the first two that are scarred from the war, see something of the local economies, the corruption, how order is maintained. A diversity of characters, settings and rich in information, Evans has offered a lot in his 422 pages. Although this is not what I would call literature, it was a very entertaining, satisfying read, a fast paced action thriller that expands our knowledge of...more
This adult book is a great James Bond-type novel. Encountering a desperate woman while visiting Sarajevo, Paul Wood and his girlfriend, Talena, become unwitting agents of the woman's escape from a web of criminals, warlords, and would-be peacekeepers; an effort that forces Paul to do a smuggling job in exchange for safe passage.
Tara
ARC- My first review! I enjoyed the book, I found it confusing in parts, mostly because I did not understand the subculture of backpacking 20 some things who are techies too. But eventually I had it all figured out, well, at least enough to keep reading. The ending was a sit on the edge of your seat.
Emma Christina
Really good. It is not often that I read a book that is so unpredictable, I was so engrossed it was difficult to put down, especially since anything and everything could happen and I became a little too attached to the characters.
Philip
A definite improvement from Dark Places and an incredible page-turner with some great twists. I congratulate Evans on an original voice and style/subject matter in the suspense/mystery genre.
Tony
Excellent, fast paced mystery/suspense. Part travelogue, part techno-geek, part murder mystery. Highly recommended.
Dawn
Pretty good for a book I chose just because.
Abel
Aug 04, 2011 Abel added it
it's the best
Bman
Bman marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Heidi
Heidi is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2014
W.
W. marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Cinisajoy
Cinisajoy marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Richard F
Richard F marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Juniorhicks
Juniorhicks marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Beasts of New York: A Children's Book for Grown-Ups Invisible Armies Dark Places The Executor The Night Of Knives