Start by marking “Utterly Otterly Day” as Want to Read:
Utterly Otterly Day

Utterly Otterly Day

Little Otter likes to play in a carefree, unabashed, utterly otterly way.

Mom warns Little Otter, "Be careful!"

Dad says, "Stay close!"

But does Little Otter listen? Oh, no! No. No. No. Little Otter thinks he's a big otter now, big enough to take care of himself. But watch out, Little Otter, because no matter how big you get, it's good to have loved ones looking out for
Published June 17th 2008 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Utterly Otterly Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Utterly Otterly Day

Kristine Hansen
Aug 30, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it liked it
Otter thinks he's grown up enough to do whatever he pleases. His actions are at times willful, at times hair-raising as he learns that maybe he's not quite so grown up as he thinks. A little disturbed by how he doesn't listen to his parents or even treat them respectfully, though the book is still fun to read out loud, especially with the fun word choices.
Megan
Oct 03, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-261
What a cute little book. It is a great piece of literature depicting to kids how there are some things in your life in which you can do independently, but then there are still some parts in which you should rely on what your mother and father say. You parents want to keep you safe that is why they set ground rules and tell you whether or not you can do certain activities. I would use this book to discuss safety to kids and how they should listen to people in charge about everyday situations. One ...more
Loren
Feb 02, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
Otters are not my thing but these are the darnest adorable otters I have ever seen illustrated! I also appreciate the sounds shared throughout the book great vocab for little ones and nice storytime alliteration "Whippidy, Slippidy, sail." Not that whippidy is an actual word;) This is a clasic theme but well written adventure story about a little otter that things he is "bigger now" and ready for more adventure and independence. His family warns him to "stay close" but off he goes! A lot like ...more
Rachel
Oct 30, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
I love otters, so when I saw this at the library book sale, I had to get it. I love the watercolor and sketched illustrations of the little otter, his world and his family, and my son did too. The book is about Little Otter's adventures out in the world. He eats clams and plays out in the open, all the time avoiding Mom and Dad's warnings to "Stay close!" and "Be Careful!". Things are going great until he encounters a cougar who wants to make a snack out of him, but with the help of his family, ...more
Melanie
A whimsical tale of a young otter who disobeys his parents and goes off to explore on his own. In his travels he meets an Eagle, beaver, snapping turtle, 2 pelicans and a cougar. The cougar is not friendly, however. It takes Little Otter's entire family to save him from the big cat.

After spending the day thinking that he's a big otter now and can do whatever he wants, Little Otter realizes that he may always need his family.
The Library Lady
Aug 09, 2008 The Library Lady rated it liked it
I'd like to give it 3 1/2 stars.
The artwork is terrific and I like the story, but the rhythm of the text kind of--well, it has a bit of an arrhythmia, if you ask me. The "Rosie's Walk" style joke of Little Otter not being aware of the danger all around him has its limits too.
Cute, but not cute enough to be worth a full 4 stars.
Freya Green
Oct 17, 2012 Freya Green rated it it was amazing

Fantastically written, I find kids judge a book by its word play much better than adults, and the rhythm of this is exceptional to read and it engaged the kids in a way most books these days fail to do. It seems so often words are used to back up images in kids books, but this wasn't the case here, the pictures simply added further characterization to the voices within the story.
Paula
Jan 12, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
Little otter barely escapes all the dangers around him which are show in the wonderful expressive illustrations.
After a day out on his own, Little Otter realizes that he still needs his family no matter how big he grows.
Oct 04, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-books
To scary for my 2 year old. She loves otters but we had to quickly skimmed through this book. She was so concerned about the baby otter getting hurt. It seemed to really trouble her. Not a great book for bed time.
Denise
Aug 13, 2008 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a book probably best one-on-one with older preschoolers and early elementary children. This is a good lesson about growing up and getting overly confident. Otter eventually learns no matter how big he gets, he'll always need his family.
Marissa García
Sep 11, 2014 Marissa García rated it it was ok
Shelves: otters
Not super well executed, but young readers probably wouldn't mind in a sit down read. Not great for storytime.
Amy Brown
Jun 22, 2008 Amy Brown rated it it was amazing
Very cute story about an Otter that things he is grown up until he gets in a scrap and needs his whole family to help. I love the illustrations! Great for preschool storytime.
Beverly
Sep 24, 2010 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-g-owns
I love this book. The illustrations are beautiful and the rhythm is so lively. My daughter loves it too. She is always asking questions about the things Little Otter does. (3 years old)
Allison
Apr 16, 2009 Allison rated it it was ok
The pictures are better than the story. Too many rhymes, too many exclamation points. It made me tired.
Shelli
Jun 15, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable picture book of a lively little otter who thinks he is all grown up. Every child who reads this will probably add: Pet Otter to their wish list.
Jen
Jan 26, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Little Otter thinks he's big enough to be out on his own until he gets into trouble and needs his family to get him out of a predicament! Very cute illustrations.
Peacegal
Jan 28, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Utterly otterly fun. Expressive and action packed illustrations tell the story of one baby otter's adventuresome day. Picture book fans won't want to miss it.
Molly
Apr 16, 2009 Molly rated it liked it
He is a little otter who does what he wants to do but it ends up getting him into trouble. I like the illustrations I would cuddle with this otter but otherwise... Not really that exciting. Ages 3+
Traci Bold
Apr 02, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
A day in the life of being an otter. Whimsical rhyming fun. #PB

Written by Mary Casanova, illustrated by Ard Hoyt, published by Simon & Schuster.

#otters #animallife
Steven
Oct 01, 2014 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Had a fun time reading this to both my kids, who enjoyed the story and rhymes while I fell in love with the artwork. The artist reminds me of a mix between Tony DiTerlizzi & Walt Kelly.
Catherine Austen
Oct 02, 2012 Catherine Austen rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was fun - musical wording that's fun to read aloud (with some rhymes, but not annoying ones), appealing character, eye-catching illustrations, and a happy ending. With lots of otters.
Phuong
Phuong rated it liked it
May 11, 2012
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2013
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Dwayna Paplow
Dwayna Paplow rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Amy Holley
Amy Holley rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2009
Donna Nix
Donna Nix rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mary Casanova is an award-winning children's author of novels and picture books. Many of her books stem from her life on the Minnesota-Canadian border; yet some of her stories have taken her as far away as France, Norway, and Belize for research. Whatever the setting for her books, Casanova writes stories that matter--and stories that kids can't put down.

Her book awards include: American Library A
More about Mary Casanova...