Star Science Fiction Stories No. 2

Star Science Fiction Stories No. 2

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Contents
Introduction (Star Science Fiction Stories No. 2) • (1953) • essay by Frederik Pohl
Disappearing Act • (1953) • short story by Alfred Bester
It's a Good Life • (1953) • short story by Jerome Bixby
The Clinic • (1953) • short story by Theodore Sturgeon
The Happiest Creature • [Quarantine] • (1953) • short story by Jack Williamson
The Odor of Thought • (1953) • short sto...more
Published 1972 by Ballantine Books (first published 1953)

Kenneth Flusche
This book of short stories was written in the year of my birth. I injoyed 4 of the 14 stories. But all the stories will help you think of the prime worries of my youth. WAR or especially world war with the bomb. Overpopulation should we really limit families to 5 children. Read between the lines child mortality, how many of those 5 would reach breeding age. Robots replacing people? and always can we find livable planets around the galaxy.
Read1000books
Fourteen science fiction short stories from the 1940's and 50's, with the stand outs being Lester del Rey's "A Pound Of Cure" (I loved the surprise ending) and Robert Sheckley's tale of a galactic mailman, "The Odor Of Thought". A number of stories have an Orwellian take, and one ("It's A Good Life") is downright creepy. All in all, a fun read.
K. Axel
Another anthology featuring a story by Theodore Sturgeon, and not one of his best. The rest of the stories I dont really remember.
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Jun 15, 2014
Jtb
Jtb marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Kevin McDonagh
Kevin McDonagh marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2011
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2011
Rodleech
Rodleech marked it as to-read
May 03, 2010
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
Byron 'Giggsy' Paul marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2009
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3) Man Plus