Start by marking “Shoes To Die For (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Shoes To Die For (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #4)

Shoes To Die For (A Jaine Austen Mystery #4)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,660 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
The best selling author Laura Levine is back with the indomitable sleuth Jaine Austen - and this time she's out to find who murdered a well-heeled French shop owner.
Published May 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Shoes To Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoes To Die For

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
Best Cozy Mystery Series
1,538 books — 1,609 voters
The Billionaire Wins the Game by Melody AnneMaid for the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloRise of the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloSeptember Again by Hunter S. JonesChasing Justice by Danielle Stewart
Summer List
527 books — 483 voters

More lists with this book...

Vicki
Sep 07, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was hilarious. Honestly I love the character Jaine. She is so funny. I will explain more about this in a bit but first lets talk about the actual mystery.

While the book is hilarious and the characters amazing, the actual plot is really good. From reading the reviews of this book and the synopsis it’s easy to disregard this book as a good mystery. When you actually read it, it’s actually a fantastic mystery.

You have Jaine investigating murder and
Mailis Viiand
Jul 15, 2010 Mailis Viiand rated it really liked it
Half the book is dedicated to the always hungry Jaine Austen scarfing down most fattening foods the author can think of, making the pattern of the comic situation a bit worn out by always having the same solution and joke...Jaine meets a hamburger she likes, decides she cant afford to gain even more weight, resolutely refuses the goods, but says the next moment that no, actually i ate the whole thing and ordered some fries too, yumyum...haha...very funny, but not that much by the fourth book, co ...more
Adrienne
Dec 30, 2013 Adrienne rated it liked it
SHOES TO DIE FOR
#4 in the Jaine Austen Series
-----------------------------
(Note: This series might be considered "fluff mystery" or "mystery-light." Each book can be read separately and out of order.)

Even though, as mentioned in previous reviews, the plot and jokes are somewhat recycled, I still enjoyed the book.
Linda
Jan 20, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it
Another good book in the series, this time with Jaine getting involved in a murder at a boutique. I was happy with the identity of the victim and was surprised at who the murderer was. I like Jaine's personality and her parents are a hoot, I love their emails and hearing what misadventures of their own that they are having.
Chelsea B.
Jul 19, 2015 Chelsea B. rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book but oh my gosh it made me HUNGRY! Our heroine, Jaine--Jaine Austen, hehe-- was always eating delicious food and I may have binge-ate the past two days while reading.
A wonderful mystery full of intrigue and hilarious shenanigans! And food!
Heather
Sep 02, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-mystery
Frenchie (aka Giselle) is one of the worst employees one could ever have. She is stuck up and two-faced. So why would the owner of the fashion store, Passions had over her precious company to a quack like Frenchie? That is one of the questions Jaine Austen has to find out, along with who would be cruel enough to kill Frenchie by Stiletto heel.
I don't know why a person would dislike this series. Laura is quickly taking over my reading list and i dont mind it at all. Jaine is so funny in the book
Patricia Nowacky
Jul 13, 2014 Patricia Nowacky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course this is fluff, but I really enjoy fluff when my brain and heart need a break! And Laura Levine is a fun writer. The Jaine Austen mystery series is an entertaining set of murder capers set in La La Land--L.A., that is. The narrator, Jaine, is a size 8 or 10, which is terribly obese in L.A., and half the novel is made up of comments on her love of food and sarcastic observations on the behavioral quirks of not only those she meets but of herself as well. Frankly, what sells me on this se ...more
Barbara
Sep 28, 2014 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I keep thinking I like this series and then I select the next book and realize I don't really like the series or Jaine very much. I'm just tired of her always being out of money. I think there are other things she can do to supplement her income, but instead she stubbornly holds on to her first love, writing. Obviously, its not working out well for her. She's a flighty, yet intelligent woman. I'm not suggesting she give up her passion but become more practical and find other work instead of bemo ...more
Glen
Dec 29, 2015 Glen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozies
This entry in the Jaine Austen series is pretty good.

Jaine is broke, and out of work. She tries to get a job writing ad copy for a hoity toity boutique. She makes some progress, when the boutique is sold to a sales girl, who is a real jerk. The new owner pays the usual penalty for being a jerk in a cozy--Death--in this case by having a spiked heel of her own shoe stabbed through her neck.

A salesgirl friendly with Jaine is the primary suspect. She hires Jaine to investigate the murder, and the us
Zyra
Nov 14, 2016 Zyra rated it it was amazing
jaine austen books are cozy mystery books, funny & light hearted. in each of these books, the main character jaine takes investigation on side to solve the murders.
jaine has funny sense of humor. things i enjoy most in her books are her conversations with her pet cat Prozac, the emails from her parents & her love for food. these books makes for relaxing reads at times with laugh out loud dialogues & scenes.
Philip
Jan 27, 2011 Philip rated it really liked it
Jaine Austin is one of the most amusing characters to come out of a mystery series. A "regular" person who would rather eat Mc Donald's or Kentucky fried Chicken instead of giving in to the world of "thin is in!" This character is written with humor but always gets the culprit, not without a little action. Ms. levine makes you want to read her books! Well done.
Ashlea Nicol
Aug 12, 2013 Ashlea Nicol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love these books and can not get enough! I cant wait to read the next one!
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
Jan 25, 2016 Heidi (Yup. Still here.) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I really enjoy this series. This is the second one I listened to on audiobook and I really like the narration.
holly
Feb 08, 2017 holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, nothing new. Good mindless book when sick.
Nadine
Jan 14, 2017 Nadine rated it really liked it
These books are never a let down .....HILLARIOUS!! Happy Reading :)
SOS Aloha
Feb 16, 2014 SOS Aloha rated it really liked it
Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world. - Marilyn Monroe

Kensington created a new cover for Laura Levine's SHOES TO DIE FOR. Book Four in this popular series is a comedic satire of the fashion industry. Jaine Austen is an "average" woman who wears comfy clothes ... as I do! Yet Jaine (and I) would appear on the "don't" page of any fashion magazine ....

"Jaine, honey. Do you realize you're the only person in the restaurant with elastic-waist pants?"

He was right, of course. The
Patricia Romero
Jun 06, 2016 Patricia Romero rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
The cover has been re-designed and has a cover full of shoes. Come on, how am I supposed to ignore that as I am limping out of the Library with 17 books spilling out of my arms? That is how I came to read Laura's fourth book in the Jaine Austen Mystery Series.

Jaine is a writer. ( Was it her name that gave it away?) So far, her writing has been mainly brochures for local companies but her dreams are to actually make a decent living writing. She also has a love/hate relationship with food. She lo
Jane Night
Aug 30, 2015 Jane Night rated it liked it
I love Jaine Austen and this book is no exception. I read it in just two sittings and I did enjoy all the crazy antics of Jaine as she explores fashion though her primary outfits involve pants with elastic waists. At times all the fashion talk did make me feel more like I was reading chicklit than a usual Jaine Austen mystery but then again I tend to be an elastic waist wearing woman too so designer names mean very little to me.

I enjoyed the mystery but the conclusion I had mixed feelings about.
May 07, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok
Not wonderful by any means. I got about a third of the way through this book and decided it wasn't worth my time. I found the main character annoying, especially the way she would do or say something and then explain what she really did or said in that situation. She may have been realistic, with her lack of intelligence, lack of willpower and ambition, and inability to use money wisely. I'm sure there are a lot of people like her. But it really didn't make me want to see her succeed and solve t ...more
Dharia Scarab
Nov 03, 2013 Dharia Scarab rated it it was ok

4 sta
Luffy
Oct 06, 2013 Luffy rated it really liked it
Anything ranging from flawed angst ridden masterpiece to slick novellas can garner 4/5 ratings. This book falls in the range of the latter. Especially considered that it's awfully short. I read it in less than a day. But it was really well written. However I was disappointed with the denouement and the subterfuge used by the writer - or rather, by the murderer. But the writing was never boring and humor and pacing were integral to the book's success. The trouble with cozies is that one can neve ...more
Lindsay♫Sings
3.5 stars for a nice, cozy read! I really enjoyed the humor of this book, and the characters were all great. Had to knock it down a bit because a) I SO dislike cat and cat people and boy, is Jaine one of those people. That, and I couldn't even handle the name of the cat. Prozac?? WHY!?!?? But anyway. b) the sarcasm of the book was sometimes dizzying. I'm eating a big donut right now...well, not really....I'm just writing a book review. But I am wearing fuzzy slippers...in my imagination. See wha ...more
Vika
May 23, 2011 Vika rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!!Its one of those books that kept me going. I read it in 4 day nonstop. I don't like mysteries but cuz its a cozy mystery I felt satisfied. I like how Jane is all human and right and always admitted that she lied.Like when she lied she ate something and came back saying that she ate a bigger amount. I also like because this book has lots of suspense and the killer is always the least person I expected. This book it very life like and Laura Levine is not afraid to write somet ...more
Suzi
Mar 22, 2008 Suzi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
It’s a kitschy LA poor writer who stumbles over dead bodies and does detective work story. It’s a bit campy and a bit funny.

There are two kinds of people in LA. Those who do lunch. And those who eat lunch. Those who do lunch talk to their agents and order things like ahi tuna and Chinese chicken salad. Those who eat lunch talk to a clown and order extra ketchup for their fries.

That’s the way it starts and it is a fun, light hearted book. The murdered person is evil, wicked, and mean, so you’re a
Helen
Jan 03, 2016 Helen rated it really liked it
Even though the author wrote a series of books featuring Jaine Austen, each one can be a stand-alone read. I'm working my way through the series and have read four books to date. I like the main character for her humour and that she never met a doughnut she could resist. She's a part-time sleuth who somehow fits herself in the middle of a murder investigation. Even though there remains the main cast of characters, the locale and scenerios of each book changes, so you don't feel you're reading th ...more
Lindsay
Nov 26, 2010 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I'm starting to think that the older books in this series is better than the newer ones. I like this series because the books are short and funny and are pretty fast paced.
In this one, Jaine gets a job writing for a clothing store when the hateful employee Frenchie get's stabbed in the neck with her Jimmy Choo. Everyone suspects friendly Becky, so Jaine trys to find out who really did it. The reason for the murder was pretty lame.
The emails from the parents are still funny.
Anastasia
Nov 26, 2015 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Shoes To Die For by Laura Levine is the 4th book in A Jaine Austen Mystery series> Jaine's neighbour Lance takes her to a fashion boutique, Passions, for a makeover. Although the clothes don't suit her, Jaine is hired to write some ads but on arriving with her ideas, she finds the owners body, killed with her stilletto heel.A quick, entertaining and funny read. I love this series and especially enjoy catching up with Jaine's parents.Lots of lol moments.
Patty
Jul 28, 2008 Patty rated it it was amazing
When freelance writer Jaine Austen has a chance to write advertising copy for an upscale boutique she gets more than just a writing job. Using her amateur detective skills she attempts to solve the murder before becoming the next victim! Mixed with a decent mystery is the unique character of Jaine Austen. A single woman who likes to eat, enjoys comfortable clothes over fashion and isn’t really looking for a man. A fun series.
Ruth Anne
Sep 18, 2008 Ruth Anne rated it did not like it
I liked these books at first, but after reading the series they are EXACTLY THE SAME. The only thing that changes are the character names. She even uses the same phrases and words. UGH. Disappointing cuz she actually has some wit and humor but it gets tiring reading the same jokes/catchphrases over and over. Oh, and it's also disgusting to read about her can licking it's privates all day long.
Mark Baker
Mar 16, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2005
Jaine's neighbor Lance has decided it's time for her to have a makeover. It doesn't land her any new clothes, but it does land her a job writing for one of the boutiques they visit. Only then the owner is killed with a high heel. The result is another funny mystery with wild characters you can't help but like.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • A Wedding to Die For (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #2)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Chapter and Hearse (Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery, #4)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
Grew up in Brooklyn, New York, back when mastodons (and Edsels) still roamed the earth.

Education: Barnard College

First job: Reporter/photographer at a newspaper so small, we had our photos developed in the local camera shop.

Advertising claim to fame: I created Count Chocula and Frankenberry cereals for General Mills.

TV gets invented, and I get a job as a sitcom writer, turning out scripts for show
More about Laura Levine...

A Jaine Austen Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • This Pen for Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
  • The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)
  • Death by Pantyhose (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #6)
  • Killing Bridezilla (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8)
  • Death of a Trophy Wife (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #9)
  • Pampered to Death (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #10)
  • Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11)