Start by marking “Shoes To Die For” as Want to Read:
Shoes To Die For

Shoes To Die For (A Jaine Austen Mystery #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,339 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Freelance writer Jaine Austen is not your typical Los Angelino. She's not rich, she's not thin, and she's definitely not starstruck. She is a sarcastic, sometime-sleuth who's never met a carb she didn't like...or a mystery she couldn't solve...

If clothes make the man, then what do Jaine's elastic-waist pants and T-shirts make her? A fashion nightmare, according to her neig
Published May 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Shoes To Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoes To Die For

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
220th out of 1,069 books — 1,244 voters
The Billionaire Wins the Game by Melody AnneMaid for the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloRise of the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloSeptember Again by Hunter S. JonesChasing Justice by Danielle Stewart
Summer List
154th out of 486 books — 469 voters

More lists with this book...

Mailis Viiand
Half the book is dedicated to the always hungry Jaine Austen scarfing down most fattening foods the author can think of, making the pattern of the comic situation a bit worn out by always having the same solution and joke...Jaine meets a hamburger she likes, decides she cant afford to gain even more weight, resolutely refuses the goods, but says the next moment that no, actually i ate the whole thing and ordered some fries too, yumyum...haha...very funny, but not that much by the fourth book, co ...more
Heather
Frenchie (aka Giselle) is one of the worst employees one could ever have. She is stuck up and two-faced. So why would the owner of the fashion store, Passions had over her precious company to a quack like Frenchie? That is one of the questions Jaine Austen has to find out, along with who would be cruel enough to kill Frenchie by Stiletto heel.
I don't know why a person would dislike this series. Laura is quickly taking over my reading list and i dont mind it at all. Jaine is so funny in the book
Patricia Nowacky
Of course this is fluff, but I really enjoy fluff when my brain and heart need a break! And Laura Levine is a fun writer. The Jaine Austen mystery series is an entertaining set of murder capers set in La La Land--L.A., that is. The narrator, Jaine, is a size 8 or 10, which is terribly obese in L.A., and half the novel is made up of comments on her love of food and sarcastic observations on the behavioral quirks of not only those she meets but of herself as well. Frankly, what sells me on this se ...more
SOS Aloha
Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world. - Marilyn Monroe

Kensington created a new cover for Laura Levine's SHOES TO DIE FOR. Book Four in this popular series is a comedic satire of the fashion industry. Jaine Austen is an "average" woman who wears comfy clothes ... as I do! Yet Jaine (and I) would appear on the "don't" page of any fashion magazine ....

"Jaine, honey. Do you realize you're the only person in the restaurant with elastic-waist pants?"

He was right, of course. The
Philip
Jaine Austin is one of the most amusing characters to come out of a mystery series. A "regular" person who would rather eat Mc Donald's or Kentucky fried Chicken instead of giving in to the world of "thin is in!" This character is written with humor but always gets the culprit, not without a little action. Ms. levine makes you want to read her books! Well done.
Adrienne
SHOES TO DIE FOR
#4 in the Jaine Austen Series
-----------------------------
(Note: This series might be considered "fluff mystery" or "mystery-light." Each book can be read separately and out of order.)

Even though, as mentioned in previous reviews, the plot and jokes are somewhat recycled, I still enjoyed the book.
Ashlea Nicol
I absolutely love these books and can not get enough! I cant wait to read the next one!
Mark Baker
Jaine's neighbor Lance has decided it's time for her to have a makeover. It doesn't land her any new clothes, but it does land her a job writing for one of the boutiques they visit. Only then the owner is killed with a high heel. The result is another funny mystery with wild characters you can't help but like.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Barbara
I keep thinking I like this series and then I select the next book and realize I don't really like the series or Jaine very much. I'm just tired of her always being out of money. I think there are other things she can do to supplement her income, but instead she stubbornly holds on to her first love, writing. Obviously, its not working out well for her. She's a flighty, yet intelligent woman. I'm not suggesting she give up her passion but become more practical and find other work instead of bemo ...more
Nicole Girolomo
This series is pretty funny and quick to read. I read most of this book on the train to and from NY yesterday. Not sure how many more of the series I will read as they seem to be very similar so far. Then again that's what happens with most murder mystery series, like really, how many murders can happen around the same person? And she manages to solve or be involved in solving all of them??
Arlene
Another great comedy and murder mystery by Laura Levine! Crazy Jaine Austen, her friend who's always trying to fix her up on dates, her gay next door neighbor always flirting with any guy that is near Jaine and thinks he's in love,,,, and of course the crazy emails from her parents down in FL.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Not wonderful by any means. I got about a third of the way through this book and decided it wasn't worth my time. I found the main character annoying, especially the way she would do or say something and then explain what she really did or said in that situation. She may have been realistic, with her lack of intelligence, lack of willpower and ambition, and inability to use money wisely. I'm sure there are a lot of people like her. But it really didn't make me want to see her succeed and solve t ...more
Vika
This book is awesome!!Its one of those books that kept me going. I read it in 4 day nonstop. I don't like mysteries but cuz its a cozy mystery I felt satisfied. I like how Jane is all human and right and always admitted that she lied.Like when she lied she ate something and came back saying that she ate a bigger amount. I also like because this book has lots of suspense and the killer is always the least person I expected. This book it very life like and Laura Levine is not afraid to write somet ...more
Luffy Monkey D.
Anything ranging from flawed angst ridden masterpiece to slick novellas can garner 4/5 ratings. This book falls in the range of the latter. Especially considered that it's awfully short. I read it in less than a day. But it was really well written. However I was disappointed with the denouement and the subterfuge used by the writer - or rather, by the murderer. But the writing was never boring and humor and pacing were integral to the book's success. The trouble with cozies is that one can neve ...more
Pat
Apr 17, 2015 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Cute story of a freelance writer and her friends.
Who killed the nasty one with a high heel through the neck?
Jaine will figure it out.
Linda
If you like reading about a normal-sized woman being berated by her 'friends' for being too large with a horrible appearance, this book is for you. It definitely wasn't for me.
Suzi
It’s a kitschy LA poor writer who stumbles over dead bodies and does detective work story. It’s a bit campy and a bit funny.

There are two kinds of people in LA. Those who do lunch. And those who eat lunch. Those who do lunch talk to their agents and order things like ahi tuna and Chinese chicken salad. Those who eat lunch talk to a clown and order extra ketchup for their fries.

That’s the way it starts and it is a fun, light hearted book. The murdered person is evil, wicked, and mean, so you’re a
Christi
love this book! a halarious mystery with a good plot line and it will keep you intrested!
Maria
I find these books very humorous - I'm enjoying this series
Cheryl
This is not great literature. In spite of it being a murder mystery, it is 'light'. There is humor in it and you don't feel bad for the victim.... It is a series. I 'might' read more, but not sure.
Colette
This was cute.
Lindsay
I'm starting to think that the older books in this series is better than the newer ones. I like this series because the books are short and funny and are pretty fast paced.
In this one, Jaine gets a job writing for a clothing store when the hateful employee Frenchie get's stabbed in the neck with her Jimmy Choo. Everyone suspects friendly Becky, so Jaine trys to find out who really did it. The reason for the murder was pretty lame.
The emails from the parents are still funny.
Kelly Kiel
A fast, fun cozy mystery. Easy to read in an afternoon. I like the little emails from her mom and dad their drama is like a little story within the story. Makes me laugh. I never guess who the real killer was, she always throws me off at the end because of course who you think it might be never is. Her character is very down to earth and easy to relate too and laugh with. A good choice to lighten the mood (even though it's a murder) between other books.
Janice Williams
kept you guessing
Patty
When freelance writer Jaine Austen has a chance to write advertising copy for an upscale boutique she gets more than just a writing job. Using her amateur detective skills she attempts to solve the murder before becoming the next victim! Mixed with a decent mystery is the unique character of Jaine Austen. A single woman who likes to eat, enjoys comfortable clothes over fashion and isn’t really looking for a man. A fun series.
Ruth Anne
I liked these books at first, but after reading the series they are EXACTLY THE SAME. The only thing that changes are the character names. She even uses the same phrases and words. UGH. Disappointing cuz she actually has some wit and humor but it gets tiring reading the same jokes/catchphrases over and over. Oh, and it's also disgusting to read about her can licking it's privates all day long.
Liz
I just adore these books. Granted there does seem to be a outline the author uses concerning endings. But, who cares, the series is a cozy series. Reading this series is like spending a night with your best friend. These books are funny, interesting, I don't have to sit up and ponder. I can just curl up with a cup of tea and follow Jaine along on her adventure.
Kim
Jaine steps into another festive, laugh-out-loud, and murderously sticky situation. Well done!
Tina

An Enjoyable, humorous and pleasant read. I read this series for laughs. I don't expect Jaine to be anyone other than who she is. She is usually unemployed, being taken advantage of by Prozac, a devoted friend to Kandi, sometime writer when she works, faux private eye and a lover of food. I could definite be her friend. On to the next one!
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Meow is for Murder (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #4)
  • Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • A Wedding to Die For (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #2)
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
Grew up in Brooklyn, New York, back when mastodons (and Edsels) still roamed the earth.

Education: Barnard College

First job: Reporter/photographer at a newspaper so small, we had our photos developed in the local camera shop.

Advertising claim to fame: I created Count Chocula and Frankenberry cereals for General Mills.

TV gets invented, and I get a job as a sitcom writer, turning out scripts for show
More about Laura Levine...

A Jaine Austen Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • This Pen For Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
  • The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)
  • Death by Pantyhose (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #6)
  • Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5)
  • Killing Bridezilla (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8)
  • Death of a Trophy Wife (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #9)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
This Pen For Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1) Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2) Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3) The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5) Death by Pantyhose (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #6)