Start by marking “Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book” as Want to Read:
Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book

Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book (Sadie Shapiro #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Sadie Shapiro is the heroine of one of the funniest, warmest novels in years. Sadie is seventy-two years old, or perhaps, seventy-five (she isn't quite sure) and lives in the Mount Eden Senior Citizens Hotel. When she submits 50 of her best knitting patterns to an ailing publishing firm, the course of her life changes. Not only is her book published, but Sadie becomes the ...more
Published 1973 by Barrie & Jenkins

To ask other readers questions about Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book

bookczuk
Dec 02, 2008 bookczuk rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Maria Simons
Knitting, publishing, 72 (or maybe 75) year old woman who jogs in a pink suit she knit, a little romance, an eloquent obscene phone caller and a singing cab driver...what's not to love about this book? My friend Maria lent me her copy of this book (she is in publishing and a knitter), which was given to her by a friend who is an editor. How nice to read a book that has no slashers (except with a red pencil), devious bad guys scheming to take down the world, thrusting bosoms or throbbing members ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Published in 1973, this is a charming little story you can read in an afternoon. Sadie Shapiro, 72 or 75, depending on when she was born, decides to submit her collection of knitting patterns to a publisher. This was indeed a big deal in 1973, back when Elizabeth Zimmerman was doing half-hour knitting lessons on the fledgling public television networks as "The Busy Knitter". But Sadie is more interested in seeing her name in print than in being rich and famous. Maybe that's why she chooses Harbo ...more
Shirley
Jun 20, 2015 Shirley rated it liked it
Very cute story. I'm glad I read this book now rather than when my sister first gave it to me (That was so many yrs ago, the pages are yellow.) I'm now "old enough" to appreciate Sadie and her life philosophy.
Amelia
Nov 16, 2015 Amelia rated it liked it
Holy hell, what a weird book! The yellowing pages of my copy emanated mold spores, and of course, I finished as soon as my watery eyes grew immune. Oh, the irony. D:

So, Sadie Shapiro! A real elderly spitfire, she writes a famous knitting book and improves all the younguns' lives. This is part of the reason the back cover synopsis is so convoluted: there are LOTS of characters. But then again, Sadie does get around in her knit tracksuit!

I'll admit it: I enjoyed it. The novella is a light, ridicul
Charlotte
Mar 26, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was ok
How would I have felt about this book if I had read it when it was first written instead of now in 2015? I discovered the story in a Reader's Digest Condensed Book recently when I was cleaning my basement.
I found it difficult to believe that Marian would just happen to see the woman she needed to interview when she was riding in a taxi and trying to find the correct address. I also found it difficult to believe that Marian seemed to enjoy phone calls from a stranger and then later agreed to i
Mary
Aug 21, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok
What I liked about this book is the idea. There are many books available now that have the main character involved in catering, quilting, knitting and probably all other crafts, hobbies and interests. But this book was written in 1973 and as far as I know, this pre-dates all the others of this genre. So....I take my knitted ski hat off to author Robert Kimmel Smith for his original idea! It's a charming and fun little story. And if you knit, as I do, it's that much more appealing.
Julie P
Apr 02, 2011 Julie P rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Yes, it's a simple book, and yes, we know exactly what is going to happen, but this doesn't diminish the pleasure in meeting Sadie, and relearning valuable life advice. I can forsee that I will probably read this book every few years just as a reminder that sometimes a 72 or 75 year old Jewish widow from Queens has some great insight.
Jonathan
Apr 19, 2011 Jonathan rated it really liked it
If you are feeling like you are old and that it's over for you, read this book! Very cute and very 70s.
It reads and develops like a play that would be used in a high school, and that isn't always bad, right? :) A neighbor of mine left this in my mailbox, mysteriously, so I read it!
Mary Ann
Jun 27, 2008 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
A patiet the dentist office I work in recommended this book to me as a "must read". I was a bit skeptical, but it was so delightful, I couldn't put it down. Heartwarming, and a definite warm fuzzy. Highly recommend to you.
Margy Levine Young
Nov 12, 2015 Margy Levine Young rated it really liked it
Aunt Nancy Levine sent me a used copy of this sweet, funny, and very 1970s novel.
Lee Yahnker
Nov 02, 2015 Lee Yahnker rated it it was ok
A silly book about an old woman who knits.
Marcia Harbour
Nov 10, 2014 Marcia Harbour rated it really liked it
this was a good story. Funny and sad at times.
Laura Jean
Jun 05, 2008 Laura Jean rated it liked it
You know, I picked this book up because I thought it was a fictional book about knitting. Which it is, I guess. But when I brought it home from the library and read the blurb, I realized I'd read it before, back in the 70s. I'm trying to figure out why, as a 19 or 20 year old who didn't knit, I'd have picked this book up to read.

It's a cute story, even if it is easy to predict. If you're looking for a nice, traditional romance, this is for you.
Jenne
Dec 27, 2013 Jenne rated it liked it
I must've read this book a million times growing up, but I'm not quite sure what it was about it that was so fascinating to me! Still, fun to revisit.
Ruth Stern
Dec 26, 2012 Ruth Stern rated it it was amazing
When I was in my 20's I loved this book. It reminded me of my mother and her knit shop. Sadie had some hilarious adventures. If I found the book I would read it again. A very light hearted read.
Marla
Apr 16, 2010 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun entertaining book to read. You fall in love with Sadie, and learn a few lessons about life along the way. "You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old"
Lynda
Aug 28, 2009 Lynda rated it really liked it
First in a series of novels about a 70 something woman who jogs, knits, and solves other people's problems. I remember all of them fondly.
Rochelley
Feb 26, 2010 Rochelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the fun energetic character of Sadie Shapiro. Reminded me a bit of my Grandmother.
rebecca j
Mar 07, 2009 rebecca j rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
An excellent and funny book - part romance, part novel, all enjoyment!
Shirley
Mar 07, 2013 Shirley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, new-york, 1980-1989
So very delightful. Gonna go see if there are more books by this author.
Pam
Feb 03, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
It was a neat book and all senior citizens should read it.
Leslie Eudowe
Jan 15, 2013 Leslie Eudowe rated it really liked it
Just a feel good read. Sadie makes you smile.
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Tahsina Syeda
Tahsina Syeda rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Jarann
Jarann marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robert Kimmel Smith began dreaming of becoming a writer at the age of eight, when he spent three months in bed reading while recovering from rheumatic fever. He enrolled in Brooklyn College in 1947, and served in the U.S. Army, in Germany, from 1951-1953. In 1954 he married Claire Medney, his editor and literary agent. They have two children: Heidi (1962) and Roger (1967). After writing advertisin ...more
More about Robert Kimmel Smith...

Sadie Shapiro (3 books)