Start by marking “Juegos de Azar” as Want to Read:
Juegos de Azar

Juegos de Azar

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,970 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Agatha es una joven sombrerera que vive marcada por una vida sombría y sin amor. Un accidente ocurrido durante la infancia le ha dejado lisiada, pero eso no le ha impedido luchar por una vida mejor. Las circunstancias le han llevado a convertirse en adalid de la moral y defensora de la Ley Seca. Scott, dueño de una taberna en la que el juego y el alcohol son el pan de cada ...more
Published August 28th 1996 by Vergara (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Juegos de Azar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juegos de Azar

Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
3 1/2 Stars

The Gamble is a book full of richly developed and endearing characters with an engaging and fleshed-out plot. This book overflowed withheart and soul. The ending was beautiful and left me feeling like a hopeless romantic. That said, I would not classify this book as a romance novel. It felt more like general historical fiction with a splash of romance. While the book had very little romance, what little it had left me feeling starry-eyed and dreamy.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the The G
KatLynne
This is my fourth book by this author. I fell in love with her work after reading Morning Glory and Hummingbird. She has a wonderful way of expressing her character’s emotions so that you feel a part of their lives. Their happiness, pain and sorrow, their hopes and dreams become yours. And with each book I become completely immersed hating when I have to stop and put the book down and somewhat sad when the book ends!

The Gamble certainly held all these attributes and I was not disappointed! In 18
Ridley
I should review this. I have some strong opinions on it. Especially disliked her facile treatment of the post-slavery South. The whole "slavery wasn't so bad if your owner was a swell guy" and the whole "Mammy" thing with the old housekeeper made me angry. Add in a bizarre three-page-long scene involving horses mating and the brilliance of the preceding 300 pages just went up in flames. Just, no.
Jane Stewart
This was ok. But I wasn’t excited to keep reading.

The author writes well, but the underlying story just wasn’t as interesting as some of her other stories.

Agatha is a 35 year old spinster who sews and makes hats. She was injured as a child and has a limp. Gandy’s wife and daughter were killed at the end of the Civil War. He has been wandering since, and recently opened a bar with gambling and dancing girls.

Agatha works to help pass laws to prohibit alcohol in Kansas in 1880.

DATA:
Narrative mode:
Sue
I recently found a copy of this book on a clearance rack at my local Half Price Books. I remembered reading it, uh, a couple of decades ago (how can I be this old?) and thought I would re-read it to see if it was as good as I remembered. It was -- though as is true in most paperback romances set in a particular historical period, the reader is asked to tolerate a GREAT deal of dramatic license. Still, this romance between Agatha, a spinster-ish temperance worker, and Scott, the owner of a rowdy, ...more
Sheri
4.5 stars. Before she retired, LaVyrle Spencer was probably my favorite author. I thought I'd read read every one of her books, but found a reference to The Gamble, which was unfamiliar to me. The style of the book is different than what's selling today. But I was just as caught up as I was 30 years ago.

The Gamble is a friends-to-lovers story. An oh, it takes forever to get to the lovers stage. What an enticing wait it is. There was plenty of sexual tension, and even the kisses--once they finall
Trea
This is my very favorite of all LaVyrle Spencer books I read when I was younger! The story is so touching, the romance very believable. It is set in 1880 around Kansas becoming a "Dry" state, and the war that is waged in the streets of a small town.

Agatha and Scott are on opposite sides of the war, but a series of events brings them together to the point where they fall in love with one another. Their love happens slowly, like a flower blooming, and is a joy to watch. There is a huge cast of su
Marleen
“The Gamble” is without a doubt another very enjoyable read by LaVyrle Spencer. I have to admit I couldn’t put it down. I just had to know how the relationship between these two very incompatible people was going to work out. It did remind me a tiny bit of Hummingbird, but that’s one of my all-time favorite Spencer books, so I didn’t mind.
The story seems to be divided into two very distinct parts: the one in Profitt, Kansas and then the 2nd part on the “Weaverley” plantation, Mississippi. Both
RomReader
Prim 34yo milliner is protesting the new saloon close to her store b/c it's taking away from her hat business. Saloon-owner Hero takes her protests as a business challenge & even hires her sewing skills for his dancers' customs. They establish a friendship of sorts along with Hero's unique family of employees despite their opposing views about alcohol. Their r/s broadens when Hero & heroine take on the care of a neglected 5yo boy. But growing sentiment for alcohol prohibition threatens H ...more
Barbara
I first read this in 1987 when it was originally published and loved it. I re-read it a couple of times and then lost track of it.
I got around to re-reading it recently and loved the romance part of it all over again. The setting is frontier Kansas around 1880.
Agatha is one of my favorite heroines--a true old maid(she's 35!) who feels that because of her physical disability (severe hip injury from her childhood that's left her with difficulty walking)and age, she is never, ever going find true l
Fatma
I really liked this book but it had some problems, first it was boring sometimes..a lot of the scenes were unnecessary and I had to skip them. Also the romance started halfway through the book and it irritated me that the love story didn't seem to be the main focus of the author. I loved Agatha and Scott and I wished the author gave more attention to their love than the other things happening.
Jan
What a book!!!!!! This is one of those books you file under 'keeper and never will let it go' because it's just the kind of book you wish EVERY historical novel/romance was---so completely absorbing you won't notice clocks, calendars or other pesky things like jobs and laundry.
Beth
One of my favorite romance novels. Have read it many times ever since I discovered it in high school.
Jenny E
I couldn't decide between 3 or 4 stars. There were a lot of things I really liked about this book, but also things I didn't like. I definitely would have given the book more stars had there been an epilogue with just a little future glimpse. I know they all live happily ever after, but I really like a little glimpse of that... it's like a little bonus for the reader at the end of a story and after reading 570 pages, it would have been the cherry on top.

Aleisha
This was one of two books my mother first gave me as a teen. Having a slight disability myself, I found myself falling for the imperfection of the character-how refreshing!-but besides that it was just a wonderful read. Great characters, that are both heartwarming, endearing and at times stubborn...I love it. I find myself picking it up every few years and rereading it again. I can never get enough of it. Will always be one of my top 2 favorite romance novels of all time....
Michelle Robinson
THis is such a good novel. THe characters feel real and believable. The child feels authentic as well. He is not too sweet, nor is he a terror.

I found hero and heroine to be believable and relatable. Agatha is forthright an stands for what she belives in without being shrewish or judgmental. Scott is laid back and intresting. He is not an alpha male but he is not beta by any means.

The fact that Scott is involved in a sexual relationship also feels like it would be authentic.

I did not like the
Susan
I just reread this book, which was probably my favorite romance novel when I was growing up. It was condensed into a shortened form by Good Housekeeping magazine, which my mother subscribed to. I read it there, and went looking for the actual book. I was young enough that I'm pretty sure I learned some stuff about sex from this and other LaVyrle Spencer books I read at the time. But that's not really what I loved about it. I simply loved the two main characters and their relationship, and I love ...more
Lucy
great characters, great plot even 'though the ending was obvious to all but the 2 people involved
Rachel
This is an old favourite - I read it for the first time about 10 years ago, and picking it up was like catching up with an old friend. LaVyrle Spencer's writing has the power to transport me into Scott and Gussie's world, and I was falling in love along with them.
Christen
I really wanted this to be a five star book. Agatha was the perfect character and almost had the perfect romance. However, her "mister right" sucked. Nothing about this man was romantic at all. And the authors rosy view of slavery was extremely off putting.

Do you me to tell me that an ex-slave owner named "LeMaster" - a man who fought in the war for slavery - is treated like a hero by his slaves? That his slaves excitedly run back to the plantation and work for him for free? That in the 1800s b
Mrelia
I'm not much of a Romance reader, never have been. But this book was filled with details that brought the characters to life, like the description of a character's temptation by sewing machine. :)
Lindsey Pierson
My all-time favorite book. EVER! I can re-read this book, and still become giddy as the story unfolds.
Morgan
Quite possibly my favorite LaVyrle book.
Lizzy
"Impressionou-a saber que ele era tão belo por dentro como por fora. Era uma dessas raras pessoas que julgavam as pessoas pelo que sabiam delas e não pelo que viam". (...)

Um romance que relembra os velhos clássicos, mas LaVyrle Spencer faz muito mais. Ela nos emociona profundamente ao demonstrar que ninguém é capaz de prever o que o futuro nos reserva. Essa é a história de Ágatha Downing e Scott Gandy, ela uma mulher solitária, ele um homem errante. Ao se conhecerem, ela lutava pela proibição da
Mor
Siamo in una cittadina del Kansas nel 1880, dove la monotonia del posto porta gli uomini a passare il loro tempo nei saloon a bere e a giocare a carte. Le donne, dalla mentalità bigotta, sono stanche di veder i loro mariti lasciare la famiglia ogni sera per cercar diversivi altrove così, si organizzano in gruppi, cominciano a prendere decisioni a farsi sentire, creano volantini di propaganda, gridando al proibizionismo; cominciano, a modo loro, la lotta contro l’alcol: la Temperanza.
Agatha è pro
Iolanda
3 1/2 stars

The Gamble is a thoroughly well written book full of memorable and sweet characters. Despite the author taking most of the book developing the relationship between Scott and Agatha, it was a pleasure to read.

I also love how Spencer writes her characters flawlessly so that you can visualise what they look like. She has a way with words -- that's my favourite part.

A lot of people on here have been saying that the romance in this book takes a back seat in this novel, well quite the
Cinnamon
I picked this book up to re-read because I really felt like reading a romance with a western theme. I couldn't remember the title, but I knew that this was one of my favorite Spencer books. I have read this story three times and love it more each time. It is definitely one of my favorite romances of all time, and one of my top favorites of any kind of book.

Setting :1880s Kansas and Mississippi

Agatha has resigned herself to a life of spinsterhood. She is 35 years old with a bad hip from a childho
Kos
I love this book, I love all the characters, but I absolutely adore Agatha.
The story was highly emotional but so real, that one felt like it is a real life story, a story about a neighbor or someone you knew.
A man like Scott Gandy, who once upon a time was a prince in a very large estate and happily married to a fairy and who was accustomed to the finest that life had for him. All that before the war of course, because he undoubtedly changed in the war, I don’t think there is a human being, whic
Audrey
3+ overall. My first LaVryle Spencer book. Finely detailed imagery and setting, but the story and romance ran a little too slow for my tastes. The secondary characters (and subtle secondary romance) help make the story. Although it was realistic considering his feelings at the time, the nit picky and idealistic romance reader in me didn't like the sorta-cheating-lite aspect (view spoiler) ...more
Manuela
La prima nota positiva è l'ambientazione nel selvaggio West, tra saloon, mandrie, cowboy e proibizionismo, affascinante e originale in ambito romance.
Ma in questo caso ci troviamo di fronte a un romanzo che è qualcosa di più di un romance. E' una storia d'amore struggente, delicata, toccante e profonda, con momenti tenerissimi di pura poesia, ma è anche una straordinaria storia d'amicizia e di conforto tra un gruppo di persone diversissime, ma vicine di animo.
Tenerissimo il personaggio di Willy,
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Courting Miss Hattie
  • Always to Remember
  • Conor's Way
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold (Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold, #1)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
  • The Charm School (Calhoun Chronicles #1)
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • Lions And Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu
More about LaVyrle Spencer...
Morning Glory Small Town Girl Separate Beds Family Blessings That Camden Summer